contrast enhanced rangefinder window/lens

My first Leica II from 1932 had a very definite yellow tint on the rangefinder window but that seems to be less obvious since I sent it in for a CLA. It is now, however, much easier to focus with. My other 2 early Model IIs from 1932 also have yellow rangefinder windows but less obvious than the first one which I bought ; one of them is easier to focus with than the other. I have a black orange ORAKO from about 1935 and a post war chrome orange OKARO; both slip on filters. They do improve contrast but also darken the image a lot.  My own view is that a well maintained rangefinder window is all you need and it is not surprising that Leica dropped the in-built yellow filter.

William

Youxin Ye replaced the beam splitter on one of my IIIf bodies with a multi coated unit. It is now the brightest and easiest to focus of my Barnacks. 

I reckon that is what I got, as the difference was like night and day after the CLA. Yellowy mist was replaced with absolute clarity.

William

• 5 years later...

The price of the Orako (if you can find it) is ridiculous! Perhaps the best interim solution is using developed film and cut a small circle and put it in the window nearest the rewind knob. For long term best change the beam splitter which will turn your rangefinder image from night to day, rivaling that of your M Leica. New beam splitters are available from nobby sparrow on eBay for $15.00 and provide great contrast. 

Gus Lazzari (TLC Camera Repair) placed this contrast enhancing "ring" inside the rangefinder window (closest to rewind knob) - really does make a difference

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2