Angenieux 35-70

Locutus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Something most peculiar dropped in my mail today!

cB3027W.jpg

A Angenieux 35-70 f/2.5-3.3 zoom!

I was already looking for a Leica 35-70 for a while and suddenly came across this one for a very reasonable price. Obscurantalist desire struck and here it is :-)

Once i've shot enough film through this i'll see that i write a mini-review with samples. One thing is for certain though, the build quality (or lack there of) is not a highpoint!

• Like 1

Hello Locutus,

Welcome to the Forum.

If you are talking about the plastic: That is something that was mentioned at the time that the lens was introduced.

I think that you might find the lens is optically acceptable & that the plastic is actually serviceable after all.

The 2 touch is also nice.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

I recall the lens was well reviewed in its day, and certainly wasn't cheap. It will be interesting to hear and see your experience with it. 

I remember one of the reasons I moved away from Canon in the 80's was my dislike and lack of confidence in their 'plastic' lenses, but pick one up today and they're absolutely fine! 

I bought the 70-210 Angenieux in R mount back in 1986. The plastic ( think it is polycarbonate) focusing and zooming sleeves developed cracks. I used some super glue to fix them. It still works fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No matter what you paid (now or then), you likely got an incredible deal compared to the current 30-76mm Angenieux T/2.8 - which doesn't even cover full 35mm frame size - Yikes!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1107005&gclid=CIeixsCxm8wCFQYNaQodi-QHwg&is=REG&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C52934715962%2C&Q=&A=details

I was suprised that it handles flare not to badly, but i have only shot it with the large hood on.

Pictures themselves are not so good, but to illustrate:

http://i.imgur.com/6cKfVQ9.jpg The sun is just outside of the frame.

http://i.imgur.com/adamjMT.jpg Stray light everywhere, but still a decent shot.

I've only shot Portra 400 in bad light with it, i need to shoot some Provia/Ektar/Portra160 in decent light first before i can say anything about its quality.

Ignoring the plastic components, I find it to be a decent lens.  Can be sharp when needed and Bokeh is quite pleasant. Attached is a picture taken with the SL.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hello Everybody,

A side note about plastic.

When plastics as we know them were being invented in the 19th Century & when they were being developed in the first 1/2 of the 20th Century, the original idea was that they would be a low cost, high quality, equally long lasting & durable substitute for woods & metals which were becoming either scarce or expensive. 

The modern concept of disposable, poor quality plastic is mostly a concept of the second half of the 20th Century.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hello Everybody,

A side note about plastic.

When plastics as we know them were being invented in the 19th Century & when they were being developed in the first 1/2 of the 20th Century, the original idea was that they would be a low cost, high quality, equally long lasting & durable substitute for woods & metals which were becoming either scarce or expensive. 

The modern concept of disposable, poor quality plastic is mostly a concept of the second half of the 20th Century.

Best Regards,

Michael

Those plastics of the 70's & 80's can't have a lifespan beyond 50 or 60 years, I would imagine. Makes a metal barreled Leica and Zeiss lens all the more appealing.

Hello James,

I was not writing about today's plastics. I was writing about what people years ago thought: About how plastics should be developed & used then.

It might be interesting, if someone knew how, to find out what the expected longevity was for Angenieux plastic barreled lenses at the time they were originally made.

The original vulcanite body cover on earlier "M" cameras (Called "Ebonite" when it holds the point on an early pen.) is a more than 100 year old form of a non-petroleum based plastic that pretty much lives up to the original idea.

Best Regards,

Michael

Some time back I was very pleased to find the 35-70 with R mount, I thought the one in the old Leitz catalogues was the only one.

My copy still performs at the level of high-end contemporary optics. Not perfectly parfocal, but quite sharp. No problems with the plastic. According to mr. Hervé Pont there were two versions. Mine is the first , less well coated one, but still good.

p.