MP vs. M-A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Homophobic too! What a mess!

And you are a psychologist! Wonder of wonders. What do I know. I'm just a dog.

Humor break!

A man walking down the street was brutally beaten and robbed.

As he lay unconscious and bleeding a psychologist rushed up to him and exclaimed, "My God! Whoever did this really needs help!"

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

But I do.

I do.  My hand-assembled, steel-geared 1983 vintage M4-P was free with the purchase of a Rigid Summicron, a winder-grip, and MR-4 meter; all of which I sold for more than I paid for the whole camera, and kept the really nice body.  That's also why the majoirty of my glass is Voigtlander, and the few pieces of Leitz (yes, E. Leitz, not Leica) glass I own are from Midland and were produced in the '70s.  And why I still have an M9P that I bought used, a year old and $3k less than list (still more than I wanted to pay though.)

And my gear always has to pay for itself... every dollar I spend on equipment is a dollar that doesn't go into my pocket as income.

Yes, it doesn't get much more economical than to shoot an M4-P body for free.

I hear stories like this all the time and are far from limited to Leica. Which 'free' lens do you use on that M4-P? ;)

The fact remains that you could choose a Pentax or Olympus SLR film kit for a fraction of the cost of a service on a Leica.

An example, I wanted to do some macro work for a project. So I picked up a Nikon FE, 55 micro and extension tube for less than the cost of a very tired looking visoflex, and far less than the cost of the last adjustment I had done to my M6. The Nikon kit would have been even cheaper with a 1.4/50 in place of the micro.

Of course, this is not an RF, and the experience is not the same and blah blah blah. But that's no longer economics.

I hear stories like this all the time and are far from limited to Leica. Which 'free' lens do you use on that M4-P? ;)

The fact remains that you could choose a Pentax or Olympus SLR film kit for a fraction of the cost of a service on a Leica.

Of course, this is not an RF, and the experience is not the same and blah blah blah. But that's no longer economics.

Usually, my $180 Collapsible 250th Anniversary Heliar...  although right now, it has the $650 Nokton 35mm f/1.2 ver. 1.  My $700 Nokton 50 f/1.1 usually lives on my M9P, and they're the most expensive lenses I own, but I've got from 21mm to 200mm covered.  My Viso III was $160, and I have a $150 Viso-Elmar 65mm for it.  With the exception of my M9P body, I don't have the cost of a current Sumilux 50 tied up in my entire kit.  If I'd bought new, and bought Leica, I don't even know how much I'd have tied up in that... Probably way north of $30k?

And you're right...  I used those others you mentioned when they were current cameras, and they're not a bayonet-mount rangefinder/viewfinder camera.  

Could I afford Leica glass and later bodies?  Sure.  But I have other interests as well that are money pits also...  sailboats, jeeps, recumbent bicycles and trikes, and motorhomes and travel.  Its all about the image, and having priorities.  Do I need to spend more to get the kinds of images I want?  Nope.  And that lets me have cash to enjoy my other pursuits.   

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

As side note:

If MP or M-A bought new, it's good news for us film user.

The purchases would help Leica keeping the film M manufacture.

Who know, if we continue buying them, this would mean some years or decades more film's life :p .

Hi Arnaud , Hi All,

MP > "P" like "Professional" or "Mechanical Perfection" ++

MA > "A" like "Analog" ,  "the right cure for digital overdose" *  **

as contributors here :

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/page-910

Regards

H

++ https://www.cameraquest.com/mguide.htm#New%20MP

https://www.cameraquest.com/LeicaMP.htm

** http://cameras.reviewed.com/content/leica-m-a-typ-127-first-impressions-review

* overdose = "an amount of something that is too much" :)

or  "amount of drug ... that is too much ..."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/overdose

" triggering inflation" or "triggering syndrome". You said "too much" ?

Edited by Doc Henry