MP vs. M-A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I meant brighter than the earlier Ms and it also doesn't flare (my M4 does once in a while, my M6 was awful in that regard and it is no longer in the stable). Viewfinder between newest MP and MA, the info in the MP in the MA nothing there but frame lines and what you are looking at.

• Like 1

Irrelevant, pointless comment unless you insist on believing the earth flat, weaving your own hair shirt, eating weeds and going barefoot.

The M-A is a perfect alternative to a metered M such as the MP. Great to still have the option.

I love going barefoot, but I ain't waving no hair shirt and I don't get the hand fitted romance either.

I wouldn't mind an M-A though, it sure is growing on me.

M

I love going barefoot, but I ain't waving no hair shirt and I don't get the hand fitted romance either.

I wouldn't mind an M-A though, it sure is growing on me.

M

While I applaud Leica for the M-A, it remains that tens of thousands of earlier M cameras are alive and well, functioning perfectly, perhaps to some despair for Leica. The earlier are so capable, and more cost-effective.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

While I applaud Leica for the M-A, it remains that tens of thousands of earlier M cameras are alive and well, functioning perfectly, perhaps to some despair for Leica. The earlier are so capable, and more cost-effective.

Many of which were not assembled by hand.  What's your point now?

Edited by honcho

Which ones were not assembled by hand? I cannot find one reference to assembly lines  and robots in the Leica factory.

My interpretation of this is machining tolerances on pre-CNC parts resulted in degree of finishing by hand or matching from bins of +/- size parts.

Todays mechanisms should just fit together and work.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To be honest, I don't think about it too much.

For 50mm, I have the M3 with Summitar - perfect.  The 28 Summicron lives on the M-A.  I love these cameras for their simplicity, and for the fact that I will in all probability pass them on to my children, hopefully in perfect working order.

My biggest problem is a growing pile of unprocessed film - I'm hoping not to pass that on to my children as well ...

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

I hear you load and clear, but find this voice in my head drawing me irrationally towards the M-A. I know there are more economical choices, but you don't shoot any Leica because of economic rationalism!

Michael

• Like 2

I hear you load and clear, but find this voice in my head drawing me irrationally towards the M-A. I know there are more economical choices, but you don't shoot any Leica because of economic rationalism!

Michael

I do.  My hand-assembled, steel-geared 1983 vintage M4-P was free with the purchase of a Rigid Summicron, a winder-grip, and MR-4 meter; all of which I sold for more than I paid for the whole camera, and kept the really nice body.  That's also why the majoirty of my glass is Voigtlander, and the few pieces of Leitz (yes, E. Leitz, not Leica) glass I own are from Midland and were produced in the '70s.  And why I still have an M9P that I bought used, a year old and $3k less than list (still more than I wanted to pay though.)

And my gear always has to pay for itself... every dollar I spend on equipment is a dollar that doesn't go into my pocket as income.

Yes, it doesn't get much more economical than to shoot an M4-P body for free.  

I do.  My hand-assembled, steel-geared 1983 vintage M4-P was free with the purchase of a Rigid Summicron, a winder-grip, and MR-4 meter; all of which I sold for more than I paid for the whole camera, and kept the really nice body.  ...

A few years ago, I bought an MP with 35 Summicron ASPH.  I sold the lens for what I bought the camera for, and felt quite smug - free MP.  But then I started to fret over having what was realistically a $5,000 camera for little more than the romance of film, so I sold it and bought a nice M3 (which Leica serviced for me) and pocketed the change.

Things only got a bit out of hand later ...

I love the M-A.  The M3 is great with a 50mm lens, but the M-A is a joy to use.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 3

I do. My hand-assembled, steel-geared 1983 vintage M4-P was free with the purchase of a Rigid Summicron, a winder-grip, and MR-4 meter; all of which I sold for more than I paid for the whole camera, and kept the really nice body. That's also why the majoirty of my glass is Voigtlander, and the few pieces of Leitz (yes, E. Leitz, not Leica) glass I own are from Midland and were produced in the '70s. And why I still have an M9P that I bought used, a year old and $3k less than list (still more than I wanted to pay though.)

And my gear always has to pay for itself... every dollar I spend on equipment is a dollar that doesn't go into my pocket as income.

Yes, it doesn't get much more economical than to shoot an M4-P body for free.

Wow, so now Leica's a poor man's game?

Try counselling.

Counseling?

Should I get a mature, well educated counselor who has never needed any self-help?? Or should I find an expensive recently trained actor who only knows how to dress like a counselor, and has to go back to school for three months of focus training  between sessions?

Wait. It would be best to ask of the Internet where all advice is true and free. Oh, thank you for your help! Now I understand why you call yourself honcho!