Sensor replacement turn around time?

iTiki

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I sent my M9 to NJ just over 3 weeks ago for sensor issues. Happily I have been told the sensor is being replaced under warranty, but sadly, Im being told the replacement time for warranty work is going to be 4 more months. Is this normal? Does warranty work get pushed behind paid repairs? Four months seems a bit excessive to be without my camera. If I were a pro and needed the camera for work, that would be totally unacceptable. Any other users experiencing the same delay or is this normal and to be expected? Turn around times on my Nikon gear has never taken more than a couple of weeks....

I sent my M9 to NJ just over 3 weeks ago for sensor issues. Happily I have been told the sensor is being replaced under warranty, but sadly, Im being told the replacement time for warranty work is going to be 4 more months. Is this normal? Does warranty work get pushed behind paid repairs? Four months seems a bit excessive to be without my camera. If I were a pro and needed the camera for work, that would be totally unacceptable. Any other users experiencing the same delay or is this normal and to be expected? Turn around times on my Nikon gear has never taken more than a couple of weeks....

I had both M9 and MM sensors replaced under warranty. Each took just over three months to get back to me and was done with "new" sensors with the improved coating.

I live in the UK and have twice sent my M9 to Wetzlar for repairs. Both time it took them 2 weeks to finish the reparation and altogether about 3~4 weeks for the entire process (i.e. from me sending the camera out, to me receiving the repaired camera).

I didn't realise there is such a big difference between Wetzlar and NJ in terms of turnaround time..

P.S. My second repair involved sensor replacement, too.

Edited by Rus
  • Like 1

The lengthy replacement times are because of the backlog.  Leica NJ will reserve you a place in the queue and notify you when your turn comes up.  This way your camera does not have to be out of your hands longer than necessary.  I made my sensor replacement "reservation" on the first of February - so sometime around the first of May I expect to be alerted to send it in.

Mine took about three months.  I got one of the last "old" sensor transplants.  The new sensors began installing about a month after I got mine back.   There was a lengthy queue for the replacement.

I sent a M9 direct to Wetzlar on 23 feb. Today it was returned, so just one day longer then 5 weeks.

Congratulations on the new sensor :)  Did you get any email from Leica between time? Did you get the same kind of leather?

Congratulations on the new sensor :)  Did you get any email from Leica between time? Did you get the same kind of leather?

I received 2 emails, one to confirm the arrival of the camera at the repair centre and a second email with a repair price (0 euro). 2 weeks ago I phoned Wetzlar and they told me that the camera was scheduled for the first week of april, so i was a litlle surprised that it returned yesterday. About the kind of leather? I don't know, it looks to me similar to the old stuff, but to be honest, I have never given much attention to such details.

I've had sensor replacements done in Wetzlar on my M9-P last October on my MM this month (March) — both were scheduled in advance and took less than three weeks, door-to-door. Very efficient and helpful service from Wetzlar. 

From the duration of the backlog, it seems that the sensor issue may be more pervasive than previously thought?

Part of the backlog is possibly due to the replacement Monochrom sensor just recently becoming available.  So the M9s are now competing with the Monochroms for the repair bench.

From the duration of the backlog, it seems that the sensor issue may be more pervasive than previously thought?

BTW, if any of you subscribe to Sean Reid's reviews, he has an interesting entry comparing the old vs new M9 sensor.

That'd make an interesting read. I've been searching around online for more detailed comparisons. Haven't found many. Thanks for the info.

I'll add, I think there's a backlog of various "things" in NJ at the moment. I sent an M6 to Youxin Ye weeks ago to have the finder upgraded to the MP style to eliminate the flare issue and he's still waiting for a parts order he placed in January to complete the work.

• 2 weeks later...

An update to my post of April 3, my M9P getting the new sensor that was supposed to be completed around the 5th of April, we're a week removed from that date now and no word. By the end of this month it will have been 3 1/2 months.

They are all over the map.  I had a sensor replacement come back really fast--even the dealer was shocked--I think it was two or three weeks.  And I had one that took months.  I don't know, but it may be tied more to stock outs and waiting for replacement inventory that work backlog.

I checked on the status of my camera's repair on Leica's tracking page since day 1 after sending it in. It showed progress through a few simple steps, among which the "in repair" was the one that lasted the longest----about a week or slightly more. Then it turned into "shipment pending", And three days later I received the repaired camera delivered by UPS. I checked on the tracking page after I took delivery, and interestingly it still showed "shipment pending". BTW, that was sending from UK to Wetzlar Germany.

• Like 1