40 mm Summicron-C interesting filing results

bobbywise

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As already discussed, the 40 mm Summicron-C brings up the 50/75mm frame lines.

Filing back the part of the flange which interacts with the frameline selector enables the 35/135 frame lines instead, where the 35 mm framelines are quite close on the M9/MM.

Anyway, tonight I gradually filed away, incrementally.

I haven't quite filed away enough, but interestingly I now get 35/50/75 framelines. This actually seems quite good as the 40 mm kind of sits in between (closer to the 35).

I'm temped to file a bit more to have a cleaner viewfinder with only 35/135, but having the 50 visible might actually be useful.

if I don't file anymore, and leave the 35/50/75 framelines, I wonder if the M9/MM will correct the image for a manually selected 35 mm summicron. Any ideas ?

Happy Easter !

Rob

Edited by bobbywise
  • Like 1

You can get the same result by slowly moving the frame selection lever to about mid point. Although this would be ideal, my concern is that you'd not be engaging the physical mechanism fully in one setting or the other. Given that this is mechanical, it might damage the mechanism. Maybe. 

On on a side note, how do you like the 40?  I've got a 35 and a 50 but feel ones too wide and the other too narrow. 

I ended up filing off a bit more to bring up the 35 mm frame lines. In the end, if felt they are so close to the 40 mm summicron-c at both close and far away.

I really like the 40 mm as it's in between 35 and 50. I do have the 35 FLE and 50 ASPH, which are larger. I use them quite a bit if I want to use the wide open 1.4 aperture. However, if I want to use a compact kit, I think the 40 mm summicron-c is great and extremely flexible.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/robertwisbey/g96vE3

• Like 1

I experience the same 35/50 thing when using an LTM-M adapter. The lens mounts properly and brings up a clean 50/75 frameline, but when I manually push the selector lever back towards the 35/28 position and release it, the mixed frameline appears, every time. A push towards the 50/75 position gets rid of it again. A push towards the 35/28 position produces the mix

For sure it's a great lens (I'm currently using it on vacation over my other lenses due to its portability).

Framing close up is ok -- it obviously cuts the image slightly, but once you've learned to compensate (that doesn't take long), the results are bang on  :D

• Like 2