Leica Film Odyssey for a beginner

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

There's been a couple of threads about Xray scanners recently. One member had left film in his checked luggage but having had them processed he found they were fine. Generally though it's not a good idea as the scanners can work at much higher intensity than the hand luggage scanners.

Film in hand luggage is safe - again many threads but no examples of damaged film that I've ever seen (not to say it can't happen but I've not seen a post from anyone who has had issues).

If you look up the spec. for a hand luggage scanner you will see that they state they're safe for multiple passes of film - I've seen 8 passes mentioned a few times.

• Like 3

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
Guys

I want to buy a 45 deg Prism finder for my 503 CW Hasselblad. I don't want to buy twice so should I go for the PM or the PME and 3 or 5 and if so why should I pick xyz??

Thanks

Neil

I had the PME-5. It worked well. Just remember that the meter must be set for ISO and aperture, and you then get an EV rating, based on an average. It's not as good as an incident reading. 

It also makes the camera a lot more bulky. The 500 series is really about the waist level viewfinder. I rarely used the PME. 

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On Ya Neil, you'll be happy either way.

I do agree with my fellow countryman in the prior post, the Blad is best used with the waist level. But that's just me.

Gary

Gary

I plan on using it for studio work i.e. camera on a tripod and cable release. Out walking about and attracting all the hot chicks, I plan on shooting from the hip :) :)

• Like 2

Gary

I plan on using it for studio work i.e. camera on a tripod and cable release. Out walking about and attracting all the hot chicks, I plan on shooting from the hip :) :)

Thats what I'm talking about. Love you Neil..

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Loaded my first A12 film back today......piece of pi$$

Just need the body and lens from Holland to arrive hopefully early next week

Loaded my first A12 film back today......piece of pi$$

Just need the body and lens from Holland to arrive hopefully early next week

Please remember what I said about removing the lens with the shutter uncocked. There will be tears otherwise, and it has happened to every Hassie user, even if they don't like to admit it. The V system is idiosyncratic, but makes a kind of sense if you have the right neural wiring, and is completely capable of recording photographs far better than most of us (including me!) can imagine.

C.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

All went good except that the roll of film had NO frigging pictures so I guess I developed a new roll of film....... Good practice I guess

• Like 1

Oh darn.

I have said it before, this is THE reason I wind the leader completely into the camera once I have finished. OK, we are talking 35mm here. 120 will have a little "Exposed" sticker on the sticky thingie that secures the backing paper. Even you couldn't stuff that up Neil, could you? :D

Developer first, just checking, not the fixer?

Gary

• Like 2

All went good except that the roll of film had NO frigging pictures so I guess I developed a new roll of film....... Good practice I guess

Did you maybe neglect to remove the darkslide?  

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Correct. It was good practice using the bag to get the film onto the reel and going through the process of deveolping some film. It was 135 film from my M6. I am currently at the customs waiting to pay GST for my Blad so I haven't had a chance to shoot that puppy yet. Today I start my Dark/Wet room printing class so looking forward to that :)

OK, when it comes to the real thing next time (Hasselblad), make sure you have loaded your film the right way round in the A12 back.  Do not mix up exposed and unexposed films, keep them seperate and make sure you process your film in the correct order (dev, stop, fix, wash).

What could possibly go wrong......;)

I'll say it again (broken record here).

35mm; I have two sorts, leader in, leader out, nothing else. If no leader sticking out, it's been used. Simple.

120 is slightly simpler in that the roll "tells" you it is yet to be used, or if it has, it says "Exposed".

So from there Dev first (I know, it is silly to suggest this but..................), then the rest, stop, Fix, wash.

Go for it.

Gary

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Currently at the optimism having a diopter made for my PM5 prison finder. Then heading out to take som test shots with the Blad