Leica Film Odyssey for a beginner

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Interesting thread.

I've been using Leica cameras since the 1970's (first job), working courtrooms, political events, etc. Not much call for that in the 21st century... .

My two cents: if you need something wider than 35mm, then why not an inexpensive M4-P (I still use these as "go to" machines when batteries run low on my M8.2)---which buys you a 28mm finder. If you want 35mm and greater, I'm happy with an M2, but this might be too difficult to find and requires a slightly different approach to loading film---and so the inexpensive M4-2 might do the trick. Of course, none of these have meters. Both have "M" and "X" sync plugs for flash units (if you care). But none of these have "collector" value (except for perhaps the M2 ... or so I'm told) and so you might not have to pay lots of money.

I would ask: what is it that I want to do? Why film rangefinders, or, more to the point, why manual film rangefinders? 

By the way, the reason I still use Leica cameras is because I have a bit of Leica glass, and that's not too easy to replace.

Tom

Thanks for the reply...........I'm a toys guy, I like new things and like I mentioned in my opening thread I have always fancied shooting film but never fancied the processing part of it. I have now learnt from this forum that there is no need to do the processing by yourself there are shops that will do that. I have also learnt that there is one shop in KL where I live that not only processes the film for you but he will also let you get involved with the process in his shop, so you never know, I maybe like it after all :)

Why a manual rangefinder? I just like Leica, I like holding a Leica and walking about town with it and getting people come up to me and ask me what it is.........I just like Leica :)

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Rather on the high side I would say.  Note that the link from Steve is for an M6J which is a quite expensive .

version.

A good M6 body can be found at Red Dot for less than 1000 GBP, a Summilux 35 for about 1400.

Jaap........I don't mind paying a little bit more in KL, I like hanging out in my mates Leica store in KL drinking beer and bullshitting about cameras and whatever else. He has always taken care of me and fixed any camera problems for me. I don't know anyone from Red Dot Camera and in reality if I buy a camera from them and it has a problem, I would need to send it back to them to get it fixed...........There again if I buy the camera from Raymond and it has a problem he will fix it. He's my mate :)

Kind of like buying bread from your mates shop at the local bakery, for sure you can buy it cheaper at a supermarket but why would you........he's your mate :)

• Like 3

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

A .85 VF is nice if you're only going to use longer lenses....it makes the focus patch larger....but wider frame lines then become more problematic.  I'd stick with .72 for your first attempt.  

Jeff

Jeff

I'm thinking of getting a M6 with a 0.8 VF and using it with a 35mm f1.4..........do you see an issue with that?

Jaap........I don't mind paying a little bit more in KL, I like hanging out in my mates Leica store in KL drinking beer and bullshitting about cameras and whatever else. He has always taken care of me and fixed any camera problems for me. I don't know anyone from Red Dot Camera and in reality if I buy a camera from them and it has a problem, I would need to send it back to them to get it fixed...........There again if I buy the camera from Raymond and it has a problem he will fix it. He's my mate :)

Kind of like buying bread from your mates shop at the local bakery, for sure you can buy it cheaper at a supermarket but why would you........he's your mate :)

I wouldn't call Igor a supermarket, but I see what you mean. Hey :) it's your money to spend.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Here are some pictures............whats that dial on the back for I can see ISO but what else am I looking at

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Some more

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Here are some pictures............whats that dial on the back for I can see ISO but what else am I looking at

To set the film speed (ISO/ASA200 = 24DIN for instance) for the meter.

Camera looks in great shape. I have a M6TTL and find it a very usable camera.

Edited by Matlock

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

To set the film speed (ISO/ASA200 = 24DIN for instance) for the meter.

Camera looks in great shape. I have a M6TTL and find it a very usable camera.

So for example if you set the film speed say 400 you dial in ISO 400 and the top mark just goes wherever opposite to ISO 400 is............sorry for all the dumbass questions but I really don't have a clue and want to learn the basics so that I don't look like a real plonker when I go and see the camera :) :) :)

So for example if you set the film speed say 400 you dial in ISO 400 and the top mark just goes wherever opposite to ISO 400 is............sorry for all the dumbass questions but I really don't have a clue and want to learn the basics so that I don't look like a real plonker when I go and see the camera :) :) :)

There are no dumb questions. You should hear some of the questions I asked many, many years ago.

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

It appears to be the M6TTL, about 2 mm higher than the M6, should be OK in your half-case, just some play in thickness.    Maybe a bit of felt to fill up the space

Great...........I'm glad I kept hold of that case now.

I have a M6 TTL, same as this, Neil. I bought it mint in Singapore for about SGD $1400. There is almost nothing to go wrong with these cameras, as they are very much mechanical.

You use the dial on the back to set the ISO / ASA / DIN film speed, in order to calibrate the meter to match.

The dial on the top is the shutter speed (note that 1/1000s is the fastest). "B" holds the shutter open as long as you hold the button down.

Next to the shutter speed dial is the frame counter.

Film-loading is by dropping off the base plate, opening the pressure plate on the back, dropping in the film and feeding it through to the take-up spool, ensure the sprockets are engaged, close-up the pressure plate, replace the base plate, and wind and shoot until you get to the first frame.

Check with Leica KL whether they have any "R's" for sale (film SLR), as you may find the pentaprism viewfinder easier to use than the "M" rangefinder. There is an extensive range of Leica "R" lenses, including telephoto's.

I prefer the rangefinder for it's compact size (plus I have other SLR's and DSLR's), but a "R" may suit you well.

Edited by EoinC

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Can someone point me to some EASY reading on shooting Leica film cameras, I am not a complete plonker around cameras but have NEVER shot a film camera so while I have a wee bitty of time on my hands I would like to at least learn the basics, things like adding EV compensation, someone mentioned before shoot to the left not to the right, good starter film roles to use for B&W only or for Color only or for B&W and Color. Buy rolls of 12, 20, 30 or what...........all this kind of stuff

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I have a M6 TTL, same as this, Neil. I bought it mint in Singapore for about SGD $1400. There is almost nothing to go wrong with these cameras, as they are very much mechanical.

You use the dial on the back to set the ISO / ASA / DIN film speed, in order to calibrate the meter to match.

The dial on the top is the shutter speed (note that 1/1000s is the fastest). "B" holds the shutter open as long as you hold the button down.

Next to the shutter speed dial is the frame counter.

Film-loading is by dropping off the base plate, opening the pressure plate on the back, dropping in the film and feeding it through to the take-up spool, ensure the sprockets are engaged, close-up the pressure plate, replace the base plate, and wind and shoot until you get to the first frame.

Check with Leica KL whether they have any "R's" for sale (film SLR), as you may find the pentaprism viewfinder easier to use than the "M" rangefinder. There is an extensive range of Leica "R" lenses, including telephoto's.

I prefer the rangefinder for it's compact size (plus I have other SLR's and DSLR's), but a "R" may suit you well.

Cheers mate.............I like the M size and looks over the R so I will stick with the M thanks

Are you in KL or Singapore??