Nik Collection (Silver Efex Pro, etc) is now free

Guest JonathanP

Interesting note from the announcement:

"As we continue to focus our long-term investments in building incredible photo editing tools for mobile, including Google Photos and Snapseed, we’ve decided to make the Nik Collection desktop suite available for free, so that now anyone can use it."

Sounds like they no longer wish to support it, which might be disappointing in the long run, although not unexpected as it never really fitted into Googles product portfolio.

You beat me to the punch.  While the announcement is great for everyone who has not tried Nik, I think it is bad in the long run.  There have not been a lot of new improvements since Google bought it, and I suspect it is now frozen.  It would have been better had Google given it back to the original developers for free, and then they would have had the incentive to continue to improve it.

Online is great, but we aren't quite there yet for serious post processing.

• Like 1

Heresy.  I know many hate Adobe because of the monthly fee, but I wish Adobe would buy the Nik Collection from Google and really integrate the tools into Photoshop.  CC does pretty much guarantee continued software development by a company whose product is graphics software.  Aperture devotees - would you buy a car from Apple?