M9 sensor

Hootan

My M9 P was one of the very early cams to have a replaced sensor. As far as I am concerned it is perfect.

You might consider trying the following:

Test different lenses on the body. A poorly adjusted lens can lose sharpness and focus.

Then, test the lenses on another body, if you have access to another, and compare any difference apparent between the two bodies.

Ask another experienced user to try the body.

Of course I realize you may have already done these things.

An obvious question, but important one. Are you suspecting poor sharpness or poor focus with your body?

This could simply be because of a poorly adjusted RF.

• Like 1

Thanks for your answer, My camera's Firmware is 1.174. So, it means that the sensor has not been changed?  :unsure:

I wouldn't worry too much.  If it's an old sensor it's no guaranteed to have any problems and they will replace it if it develops any.  I see you're in London, did you get it from a 2nd hand dealer?  Red Dot and Richard Caplan have the sensors in the affected 2nd hand Ms they sell checked by Leica Mayfair before selling.  Not sure if Aperture do that though

Thanks all for reassurance.

I will try some more but the initial impression is that there is something odd about the new sensor.

I should add that I have tested for f5.6 / f8 for roof tops.

But maybe a nice flash test will tell better.

G.

Sean Reid just posted (on his subscription site) an evaluation of the replacement M9 sensor.  He reports slightly improved IR filtering as well as slightly sharper images.  He can't say whether the difference is actual improvement or sample variation between the two bodies tested.

• Like 1

Sean Reid just posted (on his subscription site) an evaluation of the replacement M9 sensor.  He reports slightly improved IR filtering as well as slightly sharper images.  He can't say whether the difference is actual improvement or sample variation between the two bodies tested.

Very useful summary, thanks!

• 1 month later...

Tempting fate, and I'm superstitious!  As a survey, this would only represent a sample population taken from Leica forum members who are reading your post.  

Are you concerned that you have been missed by what we could describe as the  sensor cover virus?  If you have, we would need to gather extensive data about your usage and handling of your M9. :p

Tempting fate, and I'm superstitious!  As a survey, this would only represent a sample population taken from Leica forum members who are reading your post.  

Are you concerned that you have been missed by what we could describe as the  sensor cover virus?  If you have, we would need to gather extensive data about your usage and handling of your M9. :p

Not that concerned as I know I can always get it fixed under extended warranty....hopefully.... if anything happens down the road. No plans on selling mine. I got lucky when I purchased as got 25% off as Leica was still running the educators/student discount back then. 

I guess I was just wondering how many others like me have had no sensor problems. I shoot with mine a lot although I shoot conservatively like I am using film I guess. I have never cleaned my sensor I just edit the few spots out in photoshop.

• Like 1