Leica UK Discontinues Passport Cover

jcraf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have heard from my dealer that, with effect from 1 Apr 2016, new Leica items purchased in UK will no longer benefit from the excellent 1 year Leica Passport cover, which meant that any item damaged during that year, to the point of loss of function, would be repaired or replaced.

I think all of my new Leica stuff, bought in the last 15 years at least, was covered by this, so it's a sad loss.

I suppose it was too expensive a scheme to maintain.  Changing times.

• Like 1

Unless you are in a habit of churning through gear every year, the benefit of the passport is questionable, especially as the cost is presumably passed on to us as consumers. The absence of a passport warranty is not a deal breaker for me (in actual fact, I haven't yet got around to sending in the passport form for a lens I bought last May :D). 

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

Which poses the question as to whether new prices in UK will now drop a bit, as Passport is no longer included; I remember being told that Leica UK absorbed all Passport repair costs, and did not operate the scheme via any form of insurance cover for themselves.  I am therefore amazed it lasted so long.....

Are existing passports for s/h Leica purchases still transferable after the April 1 deadline? 

dunk

I would think that once you have the Passport Leica would/will honor it.. At a certain date no more Passports will be issued.. It will be a case of looking to your own insurance for any damages incurred on any items without a Passport..

Edited by Manoleica

I would think that once you have the Passport Leica would/will honor it.. At a certain date no more Passports will be issued.. It will be a case of looking to your own insurance for any damages incurred on any items without a Passport..

The Leica Passport has to be re-registered in the name of the new owner for the unexpired passport term. 

dunk

• 5 months later...

The UK Leica passport scheme was an offer from Leica UK, and not from Leica in Germany. The costs were indeed covered by Leica UK and not the German parent company.

It was an interesting scheme. Originally it provided cover for all buyers from the UK regardless of their country of residence, the cover was limited to UK residents a year or ten ago.

Repairs done in Germany on Passport-covered gear were charged in full to Leica UK by Leica Solms. How it was financed I do not know, as prices in the UK have always been in step with the prices overseas.

• Like 2