What's with the attitude at Leica stores?

rivi1969

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We were just in SF last week and I visited the Leica Store there a couple of times. 

Totally positive retail experience.  Polite, attentive, and not pushy.  Helpful with constructive ideas/suggestions. 

Full service and lots of gear.  PLUS an outstanding gallery featuring the work of Sebastiao Salgado.  

• Like 2

My only experience with buying a new Leica was at Tamarkin in Chicago a month ago. My experience could not have been better, I had spoken to Dan, the owner, on the phone a few days earlier to see if he had the D-Lux 109 I wanted to look at in stock. In the store he presented me exactly what I wanted to see, showed me the basics of the controls then let me make up my own mind. No high pressure sales and nothing but friendly service.

He also allowed me to look at a large number of his used film cameras, even though I told him I wouldn't be buying one on that day. I will be returning there sooner or later to buy an M3.

• Like 1

My worst experience at a store selling Leica was at Camera & Camera here in Auckland (now out of business) - they big mouthed me something rotten about Leica, then said if I wanted a Noct, it would cost me full price and I'd have to pay in advance.  Not a pleasant experience at all.

I have visited the Leica Stores in the Ginza, Mayfair and San Francisco - didn't buy anything, tried some lenses and had a thoroughly nice time with them.  They replaced a missing red bubble on one of my lenses at the Ginza while I waited.

Thoroughly pleasant experience all round.

• Like 1

Leica Kyoto: went up to the exhibition with friends, then back down, explained the different Leica system on display to one of my guys, the sales person standing 50cm next to us never bothered to say "hi" or anything...

Leica Vienna: entered with my girlfriend, sales guy talking with a friend over coffee about private stuff, I stood right next to him, no reaction, so we went around, looking at cameras and the exhibition. Then I came back - guy stull busy chatting, after a few minutes I interrupted him to ask my question, which he answered in a surprisingly unfriendly way. Left thinking about burning down the place, however too well educated, I guess...

Leica Singapore: always friendly and helpful, in all 3 stores I have been (Mandarin Gallery, Raffles Hotel, Vivocity - now gone)...

Except my positive experience here in S'pore some Leica shops seem to ooze the same pretension and arrogance Mercedes dealers used to have in the early 80s in Germany (at least according to my dad)... 

Leica Store Los Angeles - I visit there maybe a few times a year.  Everyone is very polite.  But I think they cater to a different type of client than me.  Would I buy from them?  Probably.

Leica Store San Francisco - Only been there once but everyone was very helpful, particularly Alex.  Would I buy from them?  Yes.

Leica Store Miami - Only interacted via email but they were very quick to respond.  Would I buy from them?  Yes.

Leica Store Marseille - No interaction with the staff, I just briefly looked in.

Edited by Joshua Lowe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like to support local where I can.

If I'm traveling, I try to visit the Leica Store if there is one.  I must confess to not being much of a fan of some of the very heavy handed black and red livery of some of them - the SF Store seemed to have a lighter touch with lots of light, wooden floors and comfortable chairs.  If they had a coffee machine (actually, I think they did), I would happily sit and drink a coffee, play with some gear, chat to the salespeople, read back issues of LFI and probably spend rather a lot of money.

Conversely, I went to the Leica dealer in Melbourne a year or so ago (Michael's?).  The salesmen (yes, men) were busy downstairs selling Sonys, Nikons, Canons and Fujis, and the Leica "boutique" was upstairs.  Quite a few new products in the red lined Leica display cases, and a huge fantastic collection of just about every Leica ever made in glass cases around the walls.  

I lusted, loitered and hoped someone would come over and offer to help for 45 minutes or so, then got bored and left.  I don't think anyone noticed my arrival or my departure.  Hopeless.

• Like 1

Had the same experience at Michael's last week! Currently I am researching places of interest for a proposed Leica Australasian One Challenge for next year. The museum at Michael's is of great interest, but nobody even looked interested in me while I was there, for just under an hour. It didn't concern me at all, but they were not to know that.

• Like 1

I visited the Leica Store NY Friday.  We had a small LHSA event there, and the staff were very friendly and helpful (and amade a sale or two as well).  The store is in SOHO and is quite small, so little room for having a cup of coffee.

I do not know about you, but if I am having a faint idea if I would spend about €7000,= on an APO Summicron 50 or not, I not only want to analyze my own shots with it, but I might want to know that salesman for 10 or 20 years before I plunge into that within 45 minutes

I have two opposing experiences with two different Leica Stores, both in California. 

The Leica Store in Los Angeles, of which I have now visited a few times, hasn't really ever welcomed me as a customer. My first experience there, I was excited to check the store out, because it is quite a beautiful design to be honest, but as I am typically dressed akin to something a lumberjack would wear and I'm tall with a big scruffy beard, I don't seem to fit their clientele profile and I was promptly ignored. I was interested in trying out a couple lenses (not to buy that day, but to see if I liked the handling / framing and maybe to buy in the future) but I had to track down an employee and ask to see a specific lens. 

In that moment, it was clear I was being judged and their hesitation was obvious to me. So I followed up my request with "I'd like to try it out on my camera" and I brought my M240 out of my bag. Suddenly their whole attitude changed. To me that was really disappointing, I don't think someone should have to brandish a specific product to feel welcomed, nor is it fair to judge them on their appearance or how inexpensive their clothing is. 

My other Leica Store experience was in San Francisco on New Year's Eve, shortly before the store was going to close. I was greeted genuinely and with a firm handshake and treated as though I actually knew what I was talking about (rather than treated like some stupid kid wandering in off the street). I had a discussion about the 28mm Summicron as I was interested in buying one as my next lens, and naturally that lead to some discussion about the 28mm Summilux, which to show me examples, Wayne brought out a big portfolio book and we looked at prints together showing some comparisons between the two lenses. Mind you, this is shortly before they intended to close and in no way was he rushing to get me out the door. I did have a reason for my visit though and I had asked about getting the viewfinder of my MP cleaned out as it was dusty. I was going to be up in SF again a couple weeks later and he told me to send it up to him before I arrive and he will have it cleaned and ready for me, free of charge. 

I was immensely grateful for his time, and friendly demeanor and for not instantly judging me like the LA store did. I would happily buy from the SF store specifically because of that experience.