What's with the attitude at Leica stores?

rivi1969

IMO, bad service is totally dependent on the sales individual. As is good service.

All that can be influenced by instruction, or the the lack of it.

And Erl I would add that the customers attitude is also a factor in the experience. Sales people are humans too and not servants either. I did work at photo retail for some 7 years as a young guy. 

• Like 3

And Erl I would add that the customers attitude is also a factor in the experience. Sales people are humans too and not servants either. I did work at photo retail for some 7 years as a young guy. 

I most heartily agree with you on that one.

I have always had excellent service from all my suppliers and service people and I know that in part it is a reflection of my attitude towards them.

• Like 2

I don't mind being left on my own to browse by sales staff. But when I'm obviously waiting for their attention and all they can do is finish their talk among themselves about shift patterns, management changes or what they're going to have for lunch - that makes it clear to me that the shop, and perhaps the company, has lost its direction.

I don't mind being left on my own to browse by sales staff. But when I'm obviously waiting for their attention and all they can do is finish their talk among themselves about shift patterns, management changes or what they're going to have for lunch - that makes it clear to me that the shop, and perhaps the company, has lost its direction.

The phrase:- excuse me old chap' can i get a little service over here! Works wonderfully..L

The word "service" may well describe the overall relationship between a company and its customers, but when used in relation to a one-to-one transaction between two people it's a antiquated nonsense.

Like most personal relationships, however fleeting, it takes two...

Why is it that some people often have problems with staff being rude to them, whereas others never have a problem?

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The word "service" may well describe the overall relationship between a company and its customers, but when used in relation to a one-to-one transaction between two people it's a antiquated nonsense.

Like most personal relationships, however fleeting, it takes two...

Why is it that some people often have problems with staff being rude to them, whereas others never have a problem?

m

It could be that some accept different standards... As for antiquated' I have to disagree with you on this one...L

m

It could be that some accept different standards... As for antiquated' I have to disagree with you on this one...L

No, it is not to do with accepting different standards. 

That's like saying I've been divorced four times because none of my wives were good enough.

It's to do with how you deal with people.  If one person is rude to you, it may be their fault. If lots of people are rude to you, it is your fault.

And if everyone is nice to you, you may take a lot of the credit.

• Like 4

No, it is not to do with accepting different standards. 

That's like saying I've been divorced four times because none of my wives were good enough.

It's to do with how you deal with people.  If one person is rude to you, it may be their fault. If lots of people are rude to you, it is your fault.

And if everyone is nice to you, you may take a lot of the credit.

We are slightly at opposites on this one...L

...having worked in retail - a camera shop in fact - I can say that you get a pretty immediate feel for whether a customer is there to buy or browse...

The problem with this theory is that you don't know when you get it wrong. I was looking to buy a Monochrom Typ 246 and a Summicron Apo 50, and got successfully ignored by the Leica salesperson when there were no other customers, and I was indicatively focused at the counter. His mind-reading abilities were not as good as he thought they were.

Or perhaps they were even better than I thought possible, as I ended up making the purchase, but not without him getting a bollocking from my wife about reading, books, and covers etc. That is the last time I do star jumps to try to get the attention of a salesperson whose job it is to sell to customers.

And Paul you had this experience at a Leica store then? Or you are commenting on salespeople and experiences in general?

There is good, bad & indifferent employees in all and every trade.. When I had my car dealerships in the UK, we had a very firm policy on Customer Care/Service and Satisfaction.. It had to be a 110% customer commitment.. Sadly quite a few had their "Trotting" orders..

Maybe we should have a few lines about those offering outstanding customer service...

Top of my list:- Leica Store Miami, CentralValley Dodge & Hyundai - Modesto Ca. Amazon, Apple Stores & Apple Customer Service..

Fresno Ca Porsche, Tissot Service, SecuritySpy.. Excellent service at times..L

I haven't been to the Leica store in Kyoto, but have been to their Ginza store on Tokyo. Having lived in Japan for a couple of years, I have never found bad service in any camera store: the concept of customer service is built into the culture and sales people generally have a lot of training on customer service: some years ago I saw a documentary on the extensive training Shiseido sales ladies, who work in department stores receive. with extensive instruction on not pushing the customer to buy.

The only times I've seen sales people not being outgoing to customers is to foreigners who they don't think speak Japanese. More generally, if you're seeking directions, people may actually seek to run away when you turn to ask them, unless they see that you can speak Japanese: indeed, Japanese can be very shy about showing that they don't understand English. Just looking at products at Yodobashi camera (the great multi-shorty camera store in Shinjuku) one day, the nearest sales person looked clearly like he was trying to ignore me, but only until I spoke to him in Japanese, after which he spent a lot of tike telling me everything he knew about the camera that I was looking at.

I always use the same (when possible) local Chevron fuel station (they have a car wash & vac area) -- to-day I fueled up, ran the car through the hand/auto car wash & then vac'd and leathered.. Sun was shining and the Beastie looked real smooooth.. The fuel station owner (whom I know) come over and said Thank You for your custom..   :)

Did you buy from them though?

Surprised nobody clicked "the thank-you button" in agreement with James for over a week.

Nedless to say that earleygallery's short question contains the reason to go to work everyday in all stores and why stores are set up.

"Service comes into its own when you have a problem, that's the real measure of a stores worth for me."

That is also my experience.