What's with the attitude at Leica stores?

rivi1969

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My wife and I came to Leica Kyoto this morning because I wanted her to try the D-Lux 109. (Which by the way was 500 usd more expensive there than Amazon)

The store was empty and when we came in the seller didn't even say hello back to us. Literally he eye-balled my M8 and looked the other way. I guess he thought I was some kind of cheapo that didn't deserve his precious time. We obviously left two minutes there.

I had a similar experience at Leica London a year ago so I wonder if this kind of attitude is part of their job description. Did you have similar experiences at this stores?

Regards, Ricardo

For Leica Kyoto that sounds like normal Japanese camera store etiquette  :)

As for Leica London, I've had the same thing on and off, just depends who you get.

Take it as a compliment that you probably don't look like a Banker buying an M240 and a 90mm lens as a point and shoot combo for your next trip.  :D

• Like 2

To be fair you weren't there to buy, you went to 'try' the camera before going off and shopping on Amazon. I bet they get that a LOT!

I've only been to Leica Mayfair once, primarily to ask about service but did ask to look at the SL. The girl got the camera out and just handed it to me - no attempt at selling at all (not that I was looking to buy, but I'd have expected a few probing questions).

The service people were very helpful with my enquiry.

To be fair you weren't there to buy, you went to 'try' the camera before going off and shopping on Amazon. I bet they get that a LOT!

I don't suppose the sales assistant was some kind of clairvoyant so I'm not sure how they were supposed to know that the OP was only there to browse. Equally, the OP sounds like he is making a few unwarranted assumptions as I don't think possession of an M8 marks anyone out as a cheapo, even in the 'rarefied' atmosphere of a Leica store. I wasn't there but maybe the sales assistant didn't hear the "hello"? Personally, I rather prefer it if the sales assistants do keep a step back and let me browse freely rather than fawn all over me with loads of sales patter. As far as Leica Mayfair goes, I have had generally good experiences there though not all the sales people get it as right as the always excellent Vijay (in the Mayfair shop) or Jimmy in the customs care team opposite. 

• Like 2

I don't suppose the sales assistant was some kind of clairvoyant so I'm not sure how they were supposed to know that the OP was only there to browse.

My comment was more about the fact the OP is complaining about service in shop he apparently wasn't intending to buy from, but having worked in retail - a camera shop in fact - I can say that you get a pretty immediate feel for whether a customer is there to buy or browse. Of course the salesperson should always try to turn a browser into a buyer, if not immediately at least to entice them back.

I recall one customer in particular who popped in literally every lunch time for several weeks asking to look at this camera and that lens. No one wanted to serve him but I was happy to and it paid off in the end when he eventually stopped procrastinating and came in to buy!

• Like 1

Earlwygallery ... The guy didn't read minds, so he couldn't know if I was there to buy or not. So what you are saying is that basic courtesy manners should apply only if I enter the store flashing a black American Express card?

By the way, I checked the amazon prices after the fact. A little sales work from thaf guy could have been enough to close the deal.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For Leica Kyoto that sounds like normal Japanese camera store etiquette  :)

As for Leica London, I've had the same thing on and off, just depends who you get.

Take it as a compliment that you probably don't look like a Banker buying an M240 and a 90mm lens as a point and shoot combo for your next trip.  :D

I have never been to a camera store in Japan but I do plan on traveling to Japan at some point.  Can you explain "normal Japanese camera store etiquette?" 

In the original post it is obvious that the situation was one of cross cultural customs not matching up, but the Japanese sales guy's actions still come across as somewhere between rude/unfriendly and arrogant/obnoxious.

A bad retail sales person experience is not only confined to cameras stores..  I went looking for a new car 6months ago, I knew what I wanted & the deal I needed.. Turned up at the dealership & the usual unenthusiastic type sauntered out..  I enquired about a certain vehicle:- off he strutted towards the back of the lot.. I told him I was not prepared to walk through a muddy dirty field to see a vehicle.. He shrugged his shoulders and sauntered off..  I walk back to the showroom and found a manager, within 10minutes they had the car at the front door for a test drive.. After a few hours and a little bargaining the deal was done.. They said the particular vehicle (SXT Plus) was at another dealership and they would drive it over, I said No, put it on a low loader or no deal..My new Challenger was delivered on a low loader already detailed and ready for the road.. Motto" if you accept bad service (in any country) and walk away:- don't complain..  

Edited by Manoleica
  • Like 4

A quick update... I just left the Leica store in Osaka and the service was absolutely perfect, they have the full line, from the D-Lux 109 to a white X 113, to more exotic stuff like a beautiful red M240, and my favorite, the M 240 Safari edition :)) Love them all.

• Like 1

I have not visited any Leica store in Japan and I wouldn't comment on the OP's experience when I wasn't there in any case.

I can say that I have been welcomed and had uniformly great experiences at official stores in Hong Kong, Berlin, Wetzlar and my local store here in Brisbane, Australia as well as in visits to Leica Camera itself in Melbourne here. I certainly have made purchases too.

Edited by hoppyman

Although I have not always bought new from the Leica Mayfair store, I certainly have done so, and I've always been given good service, even if I have sometimes felt that I know a bit more about Leicas than the sales staff. On one occasion, when they knew I was looking for a used Summicron 90AA they called up Richard Caplan late in the day, found they had one available, and persuaded them to stay open while I ran from Mayfair to St James (don't we just slum it?).

I cannot abide the greasy experience of having things "sold" to me by salespeople. In nearly forty years I have never purchased a Leica body or lens through a Leica Store.

Prior to purchasing camera gear I have always known exactly what I wanted, ordered the item/s by phone and had them sent by mail from a small but long established, dealership in Melbourne (Australia that is).

I have never had a problem with any Leica gear nor experienced any dissatisfaction with the dealership's level of service, though nowadays it is a noticeably less personal an experience than it once was.

I cannot abide the greasy experience of having things "sold" to me by salespeople. In nearly forty years I have never purchased a Leica body or lens through a Leica Store.

Prior to purchasing camera gear I have always known exactly what I wanted, ordered the item/s by phone and had them sent by mail from a small but long established, dealership in Melbourne (Australia that is).

I have never had a problem with any Leica gear nor experienced any dissatisfaction with the dealership's level of service, though nowadays it is a noticeably less personal an experience than it once was.

Oh boy have you missed out on some fun experiences..L

• Like 1

"I cannot abide the greasy experience of having things "sold" to me by salespeople..."

Hear, hear.  This is exactly why I hate trying to buy a car. 

That having been said, the worst experience I have ever had happened at a Nikon dealer when I asked to look at a D750 body.  The so-called salesman was possessed of the obnoxiousness to ask me, "Will you be buying today?" 

Up to that point in time, I had been totally unaware that arrogance and presumptuousness were considered to be valid sales techniques. :rolleyes:

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 1

Hear, hear.  This is exactly why I hate trying to buy a car. 

That having been said, the worst experience I have ever had happened at a Nikon dealer when I asked to look at a D750 body.  The so-called salesman was possessed of the obnoxiousness to ask me, "Will you be buying today?" 

Up to that point in time, I had been totally unaware that arrogance and presumptuousness were considered to be valid sales techniques. :rolleyes:

Definitely a Sales closing statement very badly executed, I would have asked if a zoom in addition to a prime would be a consideration?

(Wrap it up Joe, take his money '(^_^)') Selling is the Truth well told'' -

I agree with manoleica that this behavior of sales people is not restricted to Leica or even camera stores. I even meet this behavior in Apple Stores, and if you are treated friendly it occurs often that salespersons do not know more or know even less than what you can find yourself on the Internet. If you want real know-how you have to explicitly ask for someone in the second line who has to come from upstairs which lasts 15'. 

I generally know what I want when I go into a store, if I'm there to buy. If I just want to browse I tell the salesperson so that they know not to waste their time on me. If I have any questions I'll ask.

I don't get offended if I'm not fawned over as though I was royalty.

Service comes into its own when you have a problem, that's the real measure of a stores worth for me.

• Like 1