D-Lux concern and question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys. I'm new here and recently acquired a D-Lux compact. 'Love it and currently learning all the myriad features it has to offer.

I've wanted a Leica ever since using one (a Leica M4) back in the Navy as a combat photographer, back in the early'70s. Never bought myself one over those many years but finally decided to treat myself to the digital world, and this particular compact model seemed to be a good way to break back into the club, without breaking the bank!

Beautifully designed camera and a joy to hold as well as look at!

Anyway, I had a question about the camera that has been bugging me a bit. Forgive me if it seems silly or petty...

Upon downloading some images to my computer last evening, when I finished up and then pulled out the USB cord from the camera body, I was holding the unit while also cupping the lens. When I extracted the plug, the lens then extended and my hand inadvertently stopped the lens from extending for a brief, split second. While I didn't actually prevent the lens from pushing itself out, I felt I had slightly interrupted that action and was concerned I may have come close to harming the mechanism.

My question is, is this aspect of the camera more durable than I give it credit or is the extraction component pretty tricky and potentially fairly easy to damage? I realize they attempt to design these things for real-world use, but color me picky and a worry-wart...

Your thoughts and perspective will be appreciated.

Just use the camera as normal and monitor the results for a few days, you will soon notice if either your images are blurred and or your zoom is playing up'.. I never connect any camera directly to my computers, I always use a card reader...L

Edited by Manoleica

Welcome to the Forum.

You don't specify which model of DLux, so I assume it's the latest DLux ( Typ 109) which has no numerical suffix.

Anyhow, whatever the model of DLux, it is very unlikely you have caused any damage doing what you did.  The mechanisms are fairly robust and tend only to suffer when they receive significant abuse, such as a long drop onto a hard surface.

As Manoleica says, just check the results over the next series of shots. I'm sure all will be well. Enjoy your new Leica.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

it is indeed the 109 model of the D-Lux. Sorry for the lack of clarification earlier.

I most likely did not harm the mechanism as it appears to work properly and after repeated testing. I tend to fret over weird stuff like that, especially when there is tiny gears and a little motor involved. Hopefully they used durable components to address that lens extension/retraction feature. I assume they did given the quality demonstrated with the more obvious parts.

Just use the camera as normal and monitor the results for a few days, you will soon notice if either your images are blurred and or your zoom is playing up'.. I never connect any camera directly to my computers, I always use a card reader...L

+1 get a card reader...its easier

....and yes the camera is more durable than you think....I fret over this stuff too :)

Not to change the thread but.... I only format in the camera.....My thought is that the card marries the camera.......is that a myth?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Always format in the camera. Doins so via your computer, or deleting via your computer can corrupt the card, which you can fix via in-camera formatting. If you reformat at that point you'll delete any new photos you shot since deleting/formatting via computer.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

it is indeed the 109 model of the D-Lux. Sorry for the lack of clarification earlier.

I most likely did not harm the mechanism as it appears to work properly and after repeated testing. I tend to fret over weird stuff like that, especially when there is tiny gears and a little motor involved. Hopefully they used durable components to address that lens extension/retraction feature. I assume they did given the quality demonstrated with the more obvious parts.

I found this also to be quite tricky, cumbersome... As I believe the lenscap cord supplied is, when attached as indicated, just a bit too short. When the lens extends fully, the cord is stretched really tightly.

So this weekend, also after reading some topics in this forum, I purchased the automatic lens cap (art. nr. 18548). This is not only convenient as I resolved the lenscap cord issue, but it works and looks very attractive as well. Also in combination with my lens filter by the way (Cokin, Pure Harmonie ultra slim filter, UV/MC, 43mm).

Have fun with the 109, I'm very pleased with it so far, owning it for about half a year now.