Leica dioptre

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jono,

i just read the part about the LSD trip.  I am prone to these as well.  They are called ophthalmic migraines and you describe my symptoms pretty much.  I don't get the HAs either.  Mine stated about 1975 as well.  About the time I discovered coffee.

Apparently, we are wired alike.

Rick

Jono,

i just read the part about the LSD trip.  I am prone to these as well.  They are called ophthalmic migraines and you describe my symptoms pretty much.  I don't get the HAs either.  Mine stated about 1975 as well.  About the time I discovered coffee.

Apparently, we are wired alike.

Rick

It certainly sounds like it . . . although it's possible that mine started about when I stopped taking LSD!  

• Like 1

Novice question, perhaps, but of interest since I want to shoot without my glasses: Why go with the Leica diopters and not the Match Technical 1.25X with +3 to -3 diopter correction available and just dial in the setting that works the best?

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Novice question, perhaps, but of interest since I want to shoot without my glasses: Why go with the Leica diopters and not the Match Technical 1.25X with +3 to -3 diopter correction available and just dial in the setting that works the best?

Hi There

I don't use diopters, but I seem to remember that there is some light loss with the match technical? 

. . . have you tried a contact lens in your rangefinder eye?

• Like 1

You have to be sure you have the correct diopter........

I shoot without my glasses  I use a +4 diopter ...it's clear bright and easy .....very easy to focus....and you see all the frame lines

I keep my progressive lenses on my head, either looking over the glasses or lifting them to use the camera ...this allow me to easily see the LCD if needed....and I can always find my glasses.

If my prescription were such that I couldn't correct it with a simple diopter. I would use  a Walter Leica Eyepiece   http://walterleica.com/eyepiece.html

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Because, these eyepieces are little telescopes that provide focusing of the telescope by moving the two lenses relative to each other. The focusing simulates what the single lens diopter provides.  The image is somewhat degraded by having one more lenses in the optical path beyond the simple diopter.  And, the image is magnified which may be good for longer lenses but, restricts the FOV through the RF with wider ones. 

This might be a good choice for some, especially for long lenses.  Personally, I have one and did not like the magnifies view.  It seemed to degrade the optics of the VF.

Rick

• Like 2

Thanks Rick for your explanations.  With a script that has adjustments for sphere, cycle, axis and add, I just called my Doc and asked what diopter I should use.  She said -0.50.  So if I understand Rick's + 0.50 advice, I don't add a diopter after all!  But I guess it's only a matter of time...

I understand from your PM that your Rx is -0.25-0.50x120.

Your spherical equivalent would be -0.50.  

(-0.50) + (+0.5) = 0

But, this may be off by +0.50.

Empirically, your correct diopter would be 0.00 to +0.50.  give this a try and determine which you like the best.

Hope this helps,

Rick

• Like 1

I just purchased a 1.4 magnifier. After screwing it on I realised that the viewfinder reveals an out of focus image. When I remove the magnifier, it's fine. I'm now told that the magnifier has an inherent  -0.5! And to obtain a focus image in the VF I would have to buy a +0.5 diopter to solve the blurry issue, owing to my long distance number. (My short distance number is +2.5 and long distance is approximately +0.75.) 

Need advice if I really need to buy the diopter I was advised. 

Many thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I

Hope this helps,

Rick

Rick

Hello mate. I am using a +1.5 Diopter on my Leica M6 0.85. I have just bought a Hasselblad 503CW and a 45 deg prism view finder. My question is should I order a +1.5 for the Hasselblad or should I include take away the 0.5 Rangefinder preinstalled correction?

Thanks in advance

Neil

And the solution is so simple <Leica provideth>; everybody is welcome to drop by and check his eye.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Rick

Hello mate. I am using a +1.5 Diopter on my Leica M6 0.85. I have just bought a Hasselblad 503CW and a 45 deg prism view finder. My question is should I order a +1.5 for the Hasselblad or should I include take away the 0.5 Rangefinder preinstalled correction?

Thanks in advance

Neil

Hi Neil.

I don't know.  My guess is that you would need a +1.00.  Maybe you could hold your +1.50 clumsily infront of the finder on the 503CW and get an idea if it is too strong?

By the way, I always wanted a Hasselblad 500c.  I know there is one left behind on the moon if, I could just somehow find a way to get it!

Rick

• 10 months later...

Actually, your distance prescription plus diopter must equal +0.50 D.  For example, your distance Rx is 0.00, then the diopter you will need is +0.50D.

Rick, may I paraphrase? "For those with perfect vision, you MUST use a diopter in order to properly use Leica cameras the way they were designed to be used."

This is how I am interpreting your statement, apologies if I am missing something. So far, I am unable to find a single Leica dealer who recommends diopters for those with perfect vision. Any clarification would be great, thanks!

• 1 year later...

my new prescription is +1.75 but I cannot find +2.5.  Does Leica not making +2.5 diopter? 

My second question is that I also own a magnifier, do I mount the diopter before or after the magnifier?  I prefer to mount before magnifier so that I can remove the magnifier when I use wide angle lenses.

Edited by jaeger