R4 body

Markb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just bought a 'fully working' and almost mint black R4 body on eBay. The serial number is pre the acknowledged issues with that model although I'm told this would have almost certainly been sorted some time ago. Right now I can't afford a lens so it's waiting for me to save some pennies. I've put new batteries in it and it appears to work but obviously without a lens it's just a mechanical check. Visually the shutter seems to be pretty much the same on most speeds, it's almost as if there is a little delay between firing the shutter and the mirror flipping. This is my first Leica and I might be over reacting but it's worth asking you guys if there is a potential issue that might exist. The battery light is fine and everything works it just seems a bit sluggish. Any ideas or is this almost soft and subtle firing a Leica trait?  

One of my R4s had the same issue - a clear delay before the shutter would fire. Once I got a second that didn't have that issue I had the first serviced, and that corrected it.

I've heard of others with the same problem.

The problem is here the a sticky mirror damper. Might get a bit better through regular usage. Otherwise, as TomB said, a service will sort out the issue.

The fixing itself is quit easy - a drop of contact 61 on the damping piston  helps already - , but the problem is, to reach the piston, which sits behind the aperture  control lever.

I would just use the camera for now and see how it works out. A delay of half a second might be still acceptable.

( a good R4 should have a delay of 215ms; test  photo magazine 1985)

Torsten

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you can't afford a Leica lens yet then why not get a Tamron adapter and Tamron lens? 

As for the shutter/mirror, wait and see if it's actually a problem or not. I don't like the shutter action of the R4 etc., it's got a very long travel and that might be the 'delay' that you're sensing.