Leica 28mm Summicron ASPH 2016 #11672-- Owners Thread

stump4545

• 6 months later...

I respect you, Mr Karbe and everybody else mnutzer but i'm the type of guy who trust facts and written commitments more than words, there's nothing i can do against that B). Also it's a lens that i use a f/2 mainly and those graphs do interest me:

attachicon.gifLeicaM_2820_v1-v2_specs_f2.jpg

Hi lct,

I was looking for MTF diagrams of the v1 and v2 Summicron-M 2.0/28 asph. all over the place. I couldn't find any on the Leica Camera website, finally you posted the ones that correspond to f=1/2, do you have the ones that correspons to 2.8, 4.0 and 5.6 as well?

Do you have an idea where one could find the MTF-diagrams of the Elmarit-M 2.8/28 asph. old and new version as well as the ones for the Summicron-M 2.0/35 asph.? This would be quite interesting.

Thanks in advance,

Jörg

Thanks lct,

It seems the Summicron 2/35 is a Gurkenobjektiv and Leica should really develop something more modern and with better contrast and less curvature of field. (Sorry for my English).

And when it comes to updating from my Elmarit 2.8/28 asph. V1 to a V2 that doesn't seem to be necessary, the update to a Summicron 2/28 asph. doesn't seem a necessary option either as the Elmarit is brilliant and really small and light-weight.

Regards, Jörg

I did not upgrade my 28/2.8 asph v1 and 35/2 asph v1 either. Difficult to improve the latter i guess, unless Leica is preparing a 35/2 apo. The 28/2 v2 is sharper than the 28/2 v1 in the corners and its IQ is slightly different to that of the Elmarit asph but it is also bulkier and more expensive than the latter. A must for indoor photo IMHO.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi!

Pls. advise new M 28 Cron f2.0 on M10?

Thanks!

What do you want ask? It's superb lens on the M10, center is sharp, nice rendering, corners are better than old one. I love it, I use it as 28-50apo combo

• Like 2

Have you ever tried the 28 Summilux?

Yes I did have a 28 lux before I exchanged it with 28 cron, what I didn't like is the size, weight and it's not superior than my 35lux FLE, it has CA wide open, has more distortion than 28 cron so I probably better suited with 28 cron, but it is just me. ;D

• Like 1

I am really struggling with this lens.

At close distances of a few m, it seems fine. By focusing at distant targets (20m +) gives poor results stopped down. It seems as if in the centre there is strong back focus, and that the plane of focus is so strongly curved that  close objects at the edges of the frame are sharper than the centre.

I took some comparison shots with the Ricoh GR (the only other 28mm I have), and the GR wide-open was sharper than the summicron even at f8 despite the lower resolution sensor (16MP vs 24MP). The following shows a centre crop from the GR at f4 on the left, and the Summicron at f5.6 on the right, both processed with default settings in Capture One. The Summicron image is downscaled to match the size of the Ricoh, which ought to give the Leica lens an advantage, but:

ricohgr-vs-leica-28mm-summicron.jpg?w=10

From experimentation, I can improve the Summicron images at distance by deliberately focusing slightly closer than the rangefinder suggests. Unfortunately, the M262 does not have Live View, so I can not compare against that for focus accuracy.

Is this something anyone else has seen?

I am really struggling with this lens. [...] I can improve the Summicron images at distance by deliberately focusing slightly closer than the rangefinder suggests.

Same here. I bought mine in January this year and always had issues with focus precision, on M (Typ 240) as well as on M10. Last week I've sent it to Wetzlar for an adjustment; it hasn't returned yet. Hope it won't take too long and will change things for the better.

Edited by 01af

I am really struggling with this lens.

At close distances of a few m, it seems fine. By focusing at distant targets (20m +) gives poor results stopped down. It seems as if in the centre there is strong back focus, and that the plane of focus is so strongly curved that  close objects at the edges of the frame are sharper than the centre.

Is this something anyone else has seen?

Yes, see my many posts a couple pages back from last summer. I got it to replace the Cron v1 and noticed pretty much immediately that peripheral sharpness for distant scenes, stopped down, was not as good as my copy of the v1 and that there seemed to be pretty noticeable field curvature. At nearer distances I was more happy with the v2.

Though a different focal length, the CV 35/1.7 M I also carry in the bag was dramatically (to my eyes) sharper in the outer 1/3 of the frame, even from nearly wide open, than the Cron v2. 

I never really got a satisfactory feeling/answer from feedback here and elsewhere whether this was normal behaviour for the v2. The dealer offered to send the lens back to Leica for test and possible tweaking, but having been through similar with other lenses from other brands, didn't hold out much hope, in part because I saw similar behaviour in some of the samples sent to me by others.

In the end I returned the lens and bought a used 28 Lux. The Lux is surprisingly good if not quite as punchy as the Cron, not quite as flare resistant (i.e. veiling flare from backlight) and has noticeable CA and purple edge fringing can be problematic at wider apertures with extreme contrast transitions. But in 'real world' use haven't found much of these imperfections to be noticeable. Stopped down it is comparable in across-frame sharpness to my Cron v1, if not quite as strong in the outer third. But still better than the v2 copy I had. Naturally it's a large lens and for daytime stopped down 'landscape' shooting I'm still contemplating a 28 Elmarit. I recently tried the Elmarit ASPH v1 and found it needed a touch of stopping down to bring up the edges, so has me wondering about the v2 in relation, though now kind of wary about committing to one after my Cron v2 experience. 

If you click on the image you will see this picture taken with the M240 and the new SC28 wide open. Then move to the left in my flickr stream and you will see aperture 2.8, 4, 5.6 and 8. You will see a slight gain in sharpness from aperture 2 to aperture 2.8 and stopping down the light fall-of towards the corners disappears, But that's it. No softness in the middle:

32472158791_204e86bb25_b.jpgSolothurn Altes Spital by Daniel Nussbaumer, auf Flickr

The comparison between the GR and the Leica in #192 looks awful: This is not what a modern Leica lens may do when it is stopped down.

Edited by don daniel
  • Like 2

I've only ever had the old, original version of the 28mm Summicron ASPH. The front kept coming loose, until Leica properly fixed it for me by sealing up the screw holes with some mystery compound. Seems to have done the trick.

I like the lens a lot, especially on my M Monochrom mk1. It flares quite dramatically when shot straight into the sun, but I don't mind that. The new version looks nice - the hood looks like a better idea, and from what I've read it's a bit sharper into the corners. But I've never found the old version disappointing in any way.

Couple of examples of the original 28mm Summicron ASPH on an M Monochrom mk1.

Best wishes all,

Colin

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

Thanks for the replies. My 28mm summicron is waaay softer than Don's helpful images. At close distances, it seems ok, but at more than 10m distance it is the worst performing lens I have owned on any mount.

I would rather stick with the Summicron than go to the Summilux, mainly because my filter kit is 46mm based. I am trying to arrange a replacement, although after 48h I still have no response from Leica's technical support other than an automated "your email is valuable" reply. I am pretty disappointed, as this is the first lens in 20 years of photography that is poor enough to warrant a replacement. And having just spent 1k euros on a 3 hour repair that took six weeks, I am pretty hacked off to have more problems with Leica at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I eventually received a replacement 28mm Summicron. The new lens is significantly better than the first copy, particularly in the center when shot wide open.

I have not had much chance to shoot with it yet, but a brief test shows that the lens does indeed have some focus shift. At f2, it is perfectly calibrated, but as you stop down the point of sharp focus in the center moves backwards. This is easily shown by setting the lens to the infinity stop and shooting a set of images at different apertures. At f2 it is pin-sharp, but softens at f2.8 and does not recover the same level of sharpness until around f5.6. You can compensate by tweaking the focus a little, much as I need to do with the ZM 1,5/50. I have not yet looked at field curvature

You have to pixel peep to see the focus shift, but it could be an issue for some architectural and landscape photography - a camera with live-view would side-step the problem. However, given the 28mm depth of field at infinity it is somewhat disappointing to see this from a lens at this price point. Neither my 21mm SEM nor 50mm LUX behave like this, and both cost significantly less.

More positively, I really like the rendering wide-open, and stopped down to f8 or f11 the sharpness is ok.

• Like 1