Considering system change from Canon to Leica. Need help :)

Am I allowed to use the word bollocks without being banned? We in the UK know that an ass is a type of donkey. US people think it is something rather naughty. Language changes but 'the law is an ass' (an acceptable English expression going back centuries meaning that the judiciary has made a mistake) does not mean the law is a bottom, backside, or rear end. Fanny is not a bottom. It is an acceptable name for a woman (as in Fanny Hill) so please respect that literature preceded your nonsensical terms dreamt up one afternoon by Webster.I was brought up to respect my elders. We are the elders when it comes to language. We know our arse from our elbow because we can differentiate between the two. Please grow up and stick to the topic because your sarcasm is old hat and not at all funny if you want to enjoy the literature that preceded your existence as a nation, e.g. Shakespeare.Honi soit qui mal y pense.Anyway, to bring this back on topic, the best thing about a Leica M compared to a Canon heavyweight is the ability to carry it around all day with no fuss, no trolley, no need for a physiotherapist afterwards. To the OP: I hope you are enjoying your new toy.

Well one of the enjoyable things about these forums is when we all dive off subject........so just a brief addition to what Peter has noted here. As a Londoner I was first taught and spoke the King's English, then the Queen's. Subsequently I spent near to some thirty years in the US before returning to Europe, so I do know something about the truism in "two nations divided by a common language" . I do agree that the "cousins" have seriously mauled the English tongue we left them with, and as regrettable as I've always found that to be it pales against what is happening with modern day English no matter where it's used, I'm talking about email, lazy and sometimes bizarre auto spelling correction, texting and twittering et al........The US is not the only culprit here, not by a long chalk.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Isn't it the case that the Americans haven't mauled English, but conserved some ancient usages?

Yes.

By and large, except for some sensible spelling reforms and a stream of frequently brilliant neologisms, American English tends to be more conservative than British English, and very often where there's a difference in usage between the two, American English will reflect the older, more traditional usage. Sidewalk/pavement is a typical example, where sidewalk is the old British usage which has been preserved in the US, where the British changed it to pavement, and now believe "sidewalk" to be an American invention.

Somehow, I can't help feeling that we've strayed from the topic.

Edited by Peter H