Lenses which ones to keep...

IWC Doppel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am having a bit of a tough time at the moment, trying to rehabilitate with MS, I don't know where this will lead so I am rationalising things a little...

Today I have 12mm VL, 15m VL II, Leica 18mm SM, Leica 21 Elmarit, Leica 24mm Elmarit, L 28mm Summicron, 35 Aspherical, 35 Summiron IV, 35 Summaron, 50 Noctilux F1, 50 Summilux III, 50 summicron V, 50 Elmar, 75 Summilux

Thinking of selling 15 VL, 18 SM, 50 Summicron, 50 Elmar, 75 Summilux to start. I use more 35 and wide than over 35, might sell the Noctilux as well

• Like 1

Firstly I wish all the best with your health, that is the most important thing.

About lenses, get rid of the ones you don't really like or use. To make the decision easier, imagine you are going away for a month and can only take 4 lenses (or whatever number you want to keep). Once the bag is packed, what are the other lenses for?

Personally, I'd the most used and harder to replace lenses. If keep either an 18 or 21, one 35, a 50 (and probably noctilux too because I'd be less likely to replace it), the 75 lux under the same reasoning as the noctilux.

Amd don't forget to get better.

Michael

• Like 1

I am having a bit of a tough time at the moment, trying to rehabilitate with MS, I don't know where this will lead so I am rationalising things a little...

Today I have 12mm VL, 15m VL II, Leica 18mm SM, Leica 21 Elmarit, Leica 24mm Elmarit, L 28mm Summicron, 35 Aspherical, 35 Summiron IV, 35 Summaron, 50 Noctilux F1, 50 Summilux III, 50 summicron V, 50 Elmar, 75 Summilux

Thinking of selling 15 VL, 18 SM, 50 Summicron, 50 Elmar, 75 Summilux to start. I use more 35 and wide than over 35, might sell the Noctilux as well

Sorry for your illness.  I have been thinking of getting down to just 3 lenses myself.  Since getting the 246, am finding I much prefer my older lenses over the newer aspherical.  I will likely just keep my original 35 Summicron...think v4, 50 Summicron, and Noctilux F1.  I need no other lenses and these all render beautifully on the monochrome.

• Like 1

Speedy recovery!

As free advice is worth the money paid, here it goes:

-VL 12 & 15: sell 'em both since they're the older, poorly-corrected thread-mount versions (replace with a VM 15 v.3?).

-18 FOV is close enough to the 21; would drop the latter over the former. 18 SEM is more compact and better corrected

-24 & 28; why both, especially with the 18/21 around? Keep the faster 28 'cron

-35: despite its age, the Summaron's contrast isn't that much lower than the v.4 but delivers a more classical look--it's also a gem to handle. v.4 and Lux ASPH? Some overlap in rendering here and annoying focus shift on that ASPH. How often do you really need f/1.4 on the 35?

-50: hold the Nocti and Elmar for good balance, pawn the others

-75 Summilux. You may regret selling this classic. Unless its collecting dust + you have a hankering for an M262 and need the Sterling.

• Like 1

I wish you all the best in managing your MS, and all the luck!, MS can vary a lot from one person to another.

Here's my list of lenses that I would grant you. Keep:

- 12 or 15 VC

- Elmarit 24, you'll regret selling

- 35 Summicron IV

- 35 Aspherical

- Elmar 50

- Summilux 75, you'll regret selling

I think you can sell the 18 and keep a 21 if you like and swap the 28 for the newest APO Summicron 28

Is it also the weight you're concerned about? You'll have a 15, 35 IV and and Elmar for a lightweight trip. I do not see so much the surplus value of a 50 Summicron over the Elmar.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

...  v.4 and Lux ASPH? Some overlap in rendering here and annoying focus shift on that ASPH. ...

It's the "Aspherical" Summilux (the rare one with two hand-ground aspherical surfaces) not the focus-shifting "Asph" v1.  Its rendering is quite different to the Summicron v4.

Very sorry to hear of your illness and I wish you as comfortable a time as possible.

Pete.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's the "Aspherical" Summilux (the rare one with two hand-ground aspherical surfaces) not the focus-shifting "Asph" v1. Its rendering is quite different to the Summicron v4.

Pete.

Ahhhh, the Double Aspherical I retract the part about the 35's.

• Like 1

Sorry to learn of your illness. Hopefully it will be manageable and you can continue in your love of photography.

I have no specific recommendations, having been down a similar road on 2 occasions, with different outcomes in each case. You've obviously shot a lot of photos in years past. Why not take a couple of weeks and go thru some of them before arriving at a decision. While I often suggest keeping what you use and selling the rest, that isn't always the best advice when your circumstances and health are changing. I think what I'd do is see if there is a preponderance of shots you like with particular lenses, and then think if you might come back to wanting the look that lens has produced for you...that suggests the keeper pile. The flip side is are there lenses you have only sporatically used, but may not be inclined to heavily use in the future? This is the maybe pile. Lastly, are there any lenses you really feel you could do without and never regret selling, even though you may have taken great shots with them in the past, or you would be equally happy with an alternative - tread slowly - but this is the sell pile. I've occasionally had a twinge years after selling a lens...but it has always inspired me to use what I kept in a more creative manner. For instance, never missed my Noctilux, but have missed my 50 Summilux (V1)...but then I remember that I didn't use it that often; Missed my 35/2.8 Summaron, but have been pleased with my VC 35/2.4, and on and on. I will say that by culling my herd, I found that it was much easier to decide which lenses to take with me on my adventures, than mentally anguishing thru a smorgasbord.

I'm very sorry to hear this. As Pete says, I hope you can stay comfortable, and can continue to enjoy life whatever it brings.

As to the lenses, keep the ones which give you pleasure. Only you can answer that, but I would suggest the classics.

Best

John

• Like 1

Sorry to read about your MS journey. 

You've obviously worked hard to acquire such a fine lens collection.

I've always admired someone who uses the 35AA.

My apologies if the following sounds fatalistic or brutal.

You mentioned that 35mm is your more used FL,

maybe this is the time to set your photographic legacy and make the 35AA your "only" choice

and enjoy the magic that it captures.

Best regards as you deal with MS and it's associated symptoms.

• Like 3

Hi Mr A,

I've just tried PMing you but it says you can not receive any more messages. I'm guessing your inbox is full.

I'm so sorry to hear about your news. The challenge of illness is never a fair one and I hope you find your way of managing swiftly. I too am having a pretty shitty time for similar reasons. We are dealt our cards and we play them to our best and that which makes us happiest.

Going on what you've said in the past I would be inclined to keep: 18sm, 24elm, 35aa, 50sxIII, and I can't help but feel something with a little extra reach will come in handy, so maybe keeping the 75 is a good idea, for a while, as I remember you raving about it in the past. The good thing is holding onto that one I think you may see it rise some more in value. Which ones do you think give you the most pleasure? Which are the ones that you think are most versatile?

Best Wishes mate. Stay strong.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 2

I'm a doctor so I trust you do well with this unpredictable disease. Good luck with the rehab - it's hard work.

I've learned a long time ago that one's priorities in life are, in descending order of priority: family, health, and Leica ;-)

Which lenses you use, and those which wold be very difficult and/or expensive to replace (such as the 1.0/50 Noctilux and 1.4/75 Summilux) are those to keep.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 2

Best of luck in managing your health. My understanding of MS from some people close to me who have it is that stress often brings on episodes. To minimize the camera stress, I think otto.f has the right mix. IF your tendency is to shoot wide, 75, 35,21,12. . . . not my cup of tea, so to speak, but it appears to lean towards yours.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your illness.

Do you really use all those wides.  Need four 50 mm lenses.

Keep 21 or 24.   35 ASPH   50 Lux  75 Lux.   

I use the middle range of lenses the most.   You will have to decide if in your future you will use wides and if you can carry a heavy Noct.   I would wait to see how treatment goes.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your illness.

You have quite a collection and am sure they are all dear to you.

If you prefer 35 and wider I would consider keeping the following and a fast normal:

21 Elmarit (close to 18 and 24)

35 Asph

50 Summilux III

The only other one I would be on the fence is the Noctilux due to replacement cost.

Good luck and best of health.

Best wishes for near-term, as well sustained improvement in managing your illness. There are very encouraging developments for treatments of several forms of the disease. You are not in our area, but undoubtedly your physicians have access:

https://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/living_with_multiple_sclerosis/

Regarding the keepers...  you have a wonderful collection of Leica's very best!  :)

For my taste, you have two uniquely special lenses that cannot be replaced:  Elmarit-M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH and Noctilux-M 50mm f/1. Their rendering on M film, digital or SL are all unmatched.

I would also hold onto the Elmarit-M 21mm f/2.8 ASPH, which is another WA with superb rendering. You are obviously a WA crazy, like me. As good as the SEM 18mm is, I still found I liked trying make the 21mm Elmarit ASPH work instead (and I sold the SEM 18). 

• Like 1

I just wanted to wish you well with your rehabilitation and to thank you for your past positive contributions to this forum (with hopes of many more to come!).  As for the lens selections, the suggestions you've received thus far seem reasonable, but it might be worth deferring your decision for a time when you are more comfortable with the decision that is best for you.

—Peter.