film in checked flight luggage

MarkP

So idiot me put about 8 rolls of ISO 50 & 800 Cinestill in my checked flight luggage, both exposed and unexposed...

Has anyone's film survived this?

Never had any problems on flights to and from Hong Kong. I have heard of problems but have never met anyone who has experienced any.

Thanks Matlock.  Very reassuring if you mean the film was in luggage that went in the cargo hold?  

It is apparently exposed to much higher intensity radiation that carry-on luggage?

Regards,

Mark

Yes Mark, but I can only speak of my experiences from Heathrow to Hong Kong. Other airports may have different scanning? Perhaps others can come in on this?

• Like 1

It's not advisable, but you can't do anything about it now, so you may as well process at least one roll of the exposed film. That will tell you if the x-rays have fogged it. You have nothing to lose, apart from the processing cost and your anxiety.

Then you can make a decision about the rest.

Chances are that you will be fine

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you Andy and Matlock.

Thanks Hugh, again are you referring to carry-on or checked luggage?

If it had been the former I'd not have been too fussed.

You may be interested in this document, albeit from 2002, from Kodak regarding film and security X-ray exposure:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/cis98/cis98.pdf

Edited by MarkP

Thank you Andy and Matlock.

Thanks Hugh, again are you referring to carry-on or checked luggage?

If it had been the former I'd not have been too fussed.

You may be interested in this document, albeit from 2002, from Kodak regarding film and security X-ray exposure:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/cis98/cis98.pdf

Fujifilm have also issued warnings and it is probably a good idea to keep films in hand baggage but, as I said, I have never had problems.

This topic raised it's head several years ago and all sorts of lead lined bags became available. I just had the feeling that someone was making a lot of money selling these bags, but maybe that's just me being cynical?

• Like 1

I have had film affected by constant security xrays. It was hand luggage and subjected to many series of xraying. I think airport machines vary greatly, according to the country. My problem (I assume) was because of a high content of 3rd world xray machines. OTOH, I have, in the past had many many films survive multiple exposures.

However, the checked baggage (hold) scanning is more intense. If the frequency is not too much, you may survive unscathed. I would advise never to check film in hold luggage again. Suffer the inconvenience of carrying it on by hand.

• Like 1

I just developed 200 iso color negatives and 400 BWs which passed through 8 X-Ray machines (Amsterdam, Istanbul, Ankara, Canakkale airports) at the security check and all has no indication of fogging or anything. I even didn't bother to ask for a hand check...

• Like 2

Thinking about it, I've bought film from abroad on ebay and it must have gone through the 'checked' luggage type scanners at some point as freight. Not had a problem with any of it so far. 

Likewise - I buy film from overseas which comes in on courier flights (Hong Kong to Singapore). I presume (but don't know) that it goes through the standard checked baggage / airfreight screening.

Here in Singapore, all sea containers are x-rayed as they leave the port. I drive past the big scanners each day. The containers remain on the trucks, and I would guess it takes less than 1 minute per 40 footer. The drivers stay in the cab, and have a healthy glow...

• Like 1

I did post some Nikon Casettes loaded with film to Canada. Strangely the recipient found characteristic X-ray  damage on one roll out of I think six. No sign of opening the parcel or security marks on it, never figured that one out.

I agree that the only way to know is to develop them and given my experience all of the shot rolls. even some frames may be OK.

• Like 1

As Andy wrote, develop some and see -- luggage that goes into the plane has a higher x-ray intensity. In the US they tell you not to put film in checked bags, and under 800 is fine through regular screening. I try not to travel with 800 or higher as a rule. For your batch, my guess is that the 50 will be fine and the 800 is a who knows. As Chris noted, each roll may have been impacted differently. I would not, however, use any of the unexposed rolls, why take the chance. 

• Like 2

I'd process a portion of each roll and see, too tight to sacrifice a whole roll. You'd need to find a lab that will do this though, as I suspect most will be "automated" to the extent that they do the whole roll.

I'm certain there will be no damage though, but checking is simple and saves the worry.

Gary