A Word About Plustek - Follow-Up To 35mm Film Scanners Revisited

S.Rolf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Recently (last weekend to be exact) in re-enter the film world by going "All In" and bought a new MP 35mm camera, 35mm and 50mm Leica M lenses and a boat-load of accessories including the Leica Ever Ready case, Leica leather strap and a really nice leather bag from ONA.  Needless to say, yesterday was like Christmas at the FedEx Office!!!

The next step was to update my film scanner and printer.

Tackling the scanner first, I went though and exhausting search and finally decided on the Plustek Optic Film 8200 Ai.

One of my fact-finding searches was to contact the company directly.  I got a hold of an extremely helpful person named Robert.  One of my questions was "can I bypass Silverfast and go directly into Photoshop".  He couldn't tell me right off-hand but he said he would do a test there and call me back.  Well I thought that I'd probably never hear from him again.  Wrong.  Within 1 hour he did call to let me know that I in fact could by doing a "quick scan" and drag that directly into Photoshop.

He was genuinely interested in what brought me back into the film world and my stories.

It also turns out they are located within less than an hour from me here in So. Cal. and said if I have any questions or issues with the unit to bring it on in.

I guess the bottom line here is for me, (and the reason for this post) is that Customer Service is as important as the product itself no matter what it it.  This personal one-on-one attention was enough for me to make the purchase.  

• Like 7

Why bypass silverfast? I like this software to get really flat scans with my Plustek Scanner - good to handle and  to work with them in DXO, PSE and Silver Efex Pro.

I really didn't intend either since I've used it with an older scanner years ago.

But the question did come up here hence me asking and posting.

The purpose of my post was regarding the good customer service which, sadly, is becoming more and more of a thing of the past.

Edited by S.Rolf

Not that I've needed the Plustek customer service but they are apparently very good in the UK as well. There is a company representative who drops in on the RFF forum to answer technical questions from time to time (they don't get involved in the 'my scanner is better than yours' debates through).

Steve

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've just moved back from the Plustek 8200i Ai and managed to acquire a very reasonably priced Nikon Super Coolscan 5000.

The difference in scanning times is very noticable and using Vuescan gives me great results.

• 5 weeks later...

Why bypass silverfast?

I don't like the Silverfast interface. I prefer Vuescan. I used it on my Coolscan and later on my Plustek. I can work much faster with Vuescan.

Speed makes a difference when one has to scan 100 to 150 images. (or 10000 transparencies)