Cufflink á la Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone!

Maybe someone will beat me for this, but I decided to make a pair of Cufflinks out of IIIg shutter dials. Here is how they turned out :):

25396255990_b04dd524f5_b_d.jpg

25670920646_a998e0df38_b_d.jpg

The lock and bottom part is made from stainless steel which I've sandblasted so get the matte finish. Turned out quite nice in the end :).

Regards,

Joakim

• Like 9

Hi everyone!

Maybe someone will beat me for this, but I decided to make a pair of Cufflinks out of IIIg shutter dials. Here is how they turned out :):

The lock and bottom part is made from stainless steel which I've sandblasted so get the matte finish. Turned out quite nice in the end :).

Regards,

Joakim

Even more than nice :  genial! Congratulations, both for the idea and the making.

• Like 1

Even more than nice :  genial! Congratulations, both for the idea and the making.

As usual, this Forum publication reminded me something : rummaging through my files, I found this photo of the modest Leica cufflinks I used to wear some 40 years ago. Not to compare to mmx_2's ones, of course, but also sandblasted to get the matte finish.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

As usual, this Forum publication reminded me something : rummaging through my files, I found this photo of the modest Leica cufflinks I used to wear some 40 years ago. Not to compare to mmx_2's ones, of course, but also sandblasted to get the matte finish.

These are really nice!!

Nice, but what are you going to do with your two lllg's now they don't have shutter dials?!?!

Don't worry, no "IIIg:s where harmed during the making of these cufflinks"; they are made from genuin spare parts :).

Edited by mmx_2
  • Like 1

I have received quite a few request for making more, however, today everything is hand made = very expensive, but plan is to try and get the necessary parts CNC-machine = much cheaper. I will come back to everyone who made request once I have the full picture :).

• Like 1

Hi everyone!

Regards,

Joakim

Why lie. I'm damned envious, and I don't even own a shirt with french cuffs.

s-a

• Like 2

Why lie. I'm damned envious, and I don't even own a shirt with french cuffs.

s-a

I do. They are in storage as my very best white bespoken white shirts. I'd get them out again if I could get a pair of those clever links.

Oh, the usual aside! My weight has dropped from 214 pounds (15 stone) to 185 pounds. I can wear my clothes from 1964 again. Thanks to a horrible intestinal disease. :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Some other Leica cufflinks. I don't know if they were Leica dealer or trade show giveaways or if they were even made by Leitz.

On the right is the IIIc, and the gold ones are Leicaflex SL.  Regards

• Like 2

attachicon.gifIMG_0147.JPG

Some other Leica cufflinks. I don't know if they were Leica dealer or trade show giveaways or if they were even made by Leitz.

On the right is the IIIc, and the gold ones are Leicaflex SL.  Regards

I really like the IIIc ones, really cool!

Edited by mmx_2

Quick update for everyone, I've managed to find suppliers for everything and have a very good picture of the costs. I just want to get the first samples and see that the quality is good, then I will post again. The parts are scheduled for arrival after easter, so I'm expecting to have the first batch ready in mid April.

Regards,

Joakim

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the encouraging words :). I've been of the forum for a while (due to excessive travelling for work) so I didn't see the "copies" made from DAG until now. Well, they say that the greatest form of flattery is copying so maybe I should just be flattered, anyway, if anyone is still interested in acquiring a couple (and did not already get a pair from DAG :)), I still have a few left of the ones that I got CNC made. These looks nearly identical to the ones that I made by hand but the price is of course much better. PM made for a quote. They come in a little box as well and are well packed. If you are really hard core you can come to the south of sweden, have a chat and pick them up yourself :).