Color Film Choice?

sblitz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everybody, I posted my thoughts on the non-linear vs linear scans in a separate thread post. I'm very interested to hear your thoughts.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/257783-slide-film-using-colorperfectlinear-scans-vs-non-linear-tiff/

br

Philip

Edited by philipus
  • Like 4

Not at all Adam, sorry I probably should have explained that better. ColorPerfect requires using linear scans, which (as I have understood it) have a gamma of 1.0 (which explains why they usually look very dark out of the scanner). This is achieved in Vuescan by ticking RAW on the Output tab (it will still result in a TIFF file even though TIFF isn't ticked). If TIFF is instead ticked (RAW left unticked), Vuescan will apply a gamma curve (probably 2.2) to the scan. This is as technical as I can get on the subject, unfortunately. A non-linear file opened in CP will look very poor.

Philip - what do the terms "linear" and "non-linear" mean?  Sorry for being dense.

• Like 3

Has anyone found any one color film particularly better at handling stage lighting vs others, specifically red?  I suppose a cooling filter is possible, but I am wondering whether there is a better base film to start with........now that all print films in the market are daylight balanced (as far as I know)

At  the  moment   I have found   two  Agfa   films :

CT Precisa  100   for  slides    and   Vista  plus  (200 ASA)  for  colour  prints. So  far   I  have  not  done  any  experimenting  with them , nor  put them  through  a   scanner  so can not  comment  on  scanning. 

The  CT  Precisa   slide  film  I have   found   to  be  very  good  with  bright  and  sharp . The  only  possible  downside  is  it  may   require   more  careful exposure than  say  the  Fuji Provia  which  I   like a   lot. The  Agfa   Precisa  is  a lot   cheaper  at  about   £5  per  roll   in the  UK .

I  do  miss   Kodachrome  64  . That was  wonderful  and  still  is. 

The  Vista   plus   gives  good  prints   . I  have  used mainly   in  'social occasions  '  and  functions. Works  well with flash. Occasionally   you  can get  a  24exp  roll  for  £1  . 

I used  to  use  Kodak print  films  , Ektar  , Gold  and  VR  .  I  tended  to stick  with Kodak  throughout  when  I did my printing  as  I found  it  easier   to  get the  colours right .

As  mentioned  it  is a personal  thing which  film  you  like . I  once  tried  two  rolls  of  Fuji  Velvia  50  (  I  think )   and    did not like  it  ,  though others love it. 

Get out  and  about  , experiment  and   enjoy. 

Some  great pictures   above,  thanks  for  sharing. 

• Like 1

Thanks Hugh ..... Agfa is sold in the US (B&H in NYC to be more exact, probably other places as well). Tried Agfa 45 years ago, didn't care for it, but I and formulas have changed since. Do you have a photo you can share here? Either deliver you something akin to Kodachrome 64? (my old go to film)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I  should add   the  modern   Agfa  is   way  different  to  the old  Agfa  of   30  years  ago . I  fond  the  old  Agfa    to be  dull  and muted  , perhaps  a bit  brown . The  modern  Agfa  I  have  found to  be  bright  ,  sharp with  good  colours. 

i  will   see if  I can  fire  up  the   scanner   and  get it  to  work .

• Like 1

Thanks Hugh ..... Agfa is sold in the US (B&H in NYC to be more exact, probably other places as well). Tried Agfa 45 years ago, didn't care for it, but I and formulas have changed since. Do you have a photo you can share here? Either deliver you something akin to Kodachrome 64? (my old go to film)

Here in the UK, this film (Agfa Vista Plus 200) is sold in a £1 discount store called Poundland and even has its own Flickr group if you are looking for examples https://www.flickr.com/groups/2165089@N24/

Hope that's helpful.

Edited by Bobitybob
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All Pro films from Fuji Pro 160 NS, Pro 400H are professional films which you should keep in the fridge just before use to have the balanced colors. Fuji Superia films is an amateur line films. They are pretty good but not exactly balanced in color like their Pro line. Especially in portrait work you can see the difference.

If you're printing in RA-4 the difference is more clear: With Pro 400H I can do the whole color correction on my enlarger in the same way of almost the whole film role.

• Like 1

Thanks ..... I just got in the mail the Rollei CN200 ,  no orange mask ..... internet views have been mixed. Going to give it a try and see what happens ... part of the fun! Also, I want to get it developed and back before I shoot the Easter Parade in NYC on Sunday  . . . 

• Like 1

For Steve , interesting link for you

http://curatingcuteness.com/2013/05/35mm-film-guide/

Best

Henry

Thanks Henry .....

To all that drop by this thread -- I am heading out to Bryce and Zion and and Grand Canyon National Parks this summer for vacation. Naturally the cameras (Q, MA, M4) will be with me. Any thoughts on film? the choice seems to come down to Ektar vs Velvia 50 vs provia 100f. Any others? My bias is against slide film if only because of the limited DR ...... Thoughts? 

• Like 2

Good choices.

I would pack the velvia 50 in one camera and ektar in the other, and use the velvia in those cases in which the range of exposure values is 4 or less (there are plenty of these situations) and ektar for everything else

The only other color film stock for your trip that i might consider is the cinestill 50, for that classic golden look. But it would be occassional use.

I would also suggest bringing some tri-x and maybe some ilford delta 100 (and medium yellow filter)

• Like 2

Good choices.

I would pack the velvia 50 in one camera and ektar in the other, and use the velvia in those cases in which the range of exposure values is 4 or less (there are plenty of these situations) and ektar for everything else

The only other color film stock for your trip that i might consider is the cinestill 50, for that classic golden look. But it would be occassional use.

I would also suggest bringing some tri-x and maybe some ilford delta 100 (and medium yellow filter)

Thanks Adam -- On the B&W I am debating whether to bring, but if I do, I have found Ilford FP4+ is really best for landscape photography.

I was reading on one site to bring a warming filter for dawn shots at Bryce because of the atmosphere, it can make the shots very blue. Since i have 36exp per roll and am presuming the light changes as the day wears on, I am thinking Ektar will be the film of choice. Nighttime I have my Q, no need for fast film to take night skies!

• Like 2

Thanks Adam -- On the B&W I am debating whether to bring, but if I do, I have found Ilford FP4+ is really best for landscape photography.

I was reading on one site to bring a warming filter for dawn shots at Bryce because of the atmosphere, it can make the shots very blue. Since i have 36exp per roll and am presuming the light changes as the day wears on, I am thinking Ektar will be the film of choice. Nighttime I have my Q, no need for fast film to take night skies!

I think you would be very well served to bring along a light and compact tripod.  This way you can take the long exposures on film, which is really where the action is.  Ektar has serious reciprocity failure but there are apps that tell you the exact compensation adjustments (basically, it starts at 2 secs in which you need 3 secs, and 6 secs instead of 4 and 15 secs instead of 8 and 29 secs instead of 15, and so on). But as long as you get this right you really don't get off putting color casts like you do with velvia 50, which will introduce serious magenta after about 2 seconds.  As long as you give Ektar a little bit more of a generous exposure time you'll get great colors, and any coolness with contain really lovely blues.

If you do bring a warming filter, I don't think you need any more than an 81B (not 85 which is too strong); even an 81A would probably sufficie.  You don't want to overdo this as it will queer your color palette!!

• Like 1