Color Film Choice?

sblitz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

......Fundamentally, for me, an image is not finished until I have post-processed it and I have difficulty relating to the view that an image should be considered final out of the scanner. In other words, the importance of using a particular film to obtain a certain look out of the camera doesn't really register with me. Naturally, I fully accept that other photographers may have other views. For instance, I spoke with the Swedish photographer Leif-Erik Nygårds not long ago. He told me that when Bert Stern (whom he worked for at one point) heard that Kodak was dropping Kodachrome in 8x10 he bought enormous quantities of it because he was so attached to the particular look of that film (and, apparently - in what must have been a coincidence (if this is at all true) - just days after Kodak announced that it wouldn't develop this version of the film any longer Stern died; he had a very large 8x10 stock left at that time apparently). 

The scanning and post-processing processes are very important to the look of the final image (obviously; and apologies for going off-topic here).....

philip

You haven't gone off topic from my point of view, I agree with this. Velvia 50 high quality scans (the absolute key) are very versatile, in particular black and white conversions from medium format through any half decent application such as Tonality Pro, SFXP2 or Alien Skin have a richness and range of tones that I still prefer to conversions from full frame 35mm digtital.

Edited by honcho
  • Like 2

Steve,

For the choice of color film, as I love the macrophoto and the nature, the simplest thing
it is to photograph flowers or other natural subjects we usually watch and print on paper
The choice will be made regardless of film prize :)

One or two  of best film brands Kodak or Fuji

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

Velvia 100.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Well I certainly don't want to monopolise the thread and apologise for all these photos (and I do look forward to other members' thoughts as well). Personally I would say Velvia 100 and the 100F work well (though, as I write that, I am not sure they're still being sold; I have a bunch of old stock in my freezer). I am not sure these match precisely what you are asking for, Steve, but they are at least a few examples of situations with very different light (most have been post-processed to a greater or lesser degree and some are of course known from the I love film thread). I should add that most if not all of these were scanned as linear tiff and "developed" in ColorPerfect so they would look differently (and in my view better) if I were to rescan them today with my updated workflow.

100F

19281250503_78352af39c_b.jpg

Flickr

19255095143_94945a8eb7_b.jpg

Flickr

19554197232_2c659bc825_b.jpg

Flickr

19565191391_11dbd39a65_b.jpg

Flickr

21128662965_cb4f1cc5aa_b.jpg

Flickr

19254982333_b1e3bca0a7_b.jpg

Flickr

But Provia 100 and 400X are also good, I find. Two examples (there are a few 400X at box speed in the I love film thread):

21232328364_67a991b050_b.jpg

Flickr

400X at EI1600

21049393274_be607ee84a_b.jpg

Flickr

• Like 6

Not Monopolizing at all. This is about sharing views and demonstrating them. As I wrote the right and wrong is what's and wrong for the individual photographer.

Love the provia and so much for it falling apart when pushed!

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Steve,

For the choice of color film, as I love the macrophoto and the nature, the simplest thing

it is to photograph flowers or other natural subjects we usually watch and print on paper

The choice will be made regardless of film prize :)

One or two  of best film brands Kodak or Fuji

Best

Henry

Some examples as seen in nature and in macro, it's even better in definition, texture

Softness and naturalness

Tulip

Fuji Superia 100

90 MacroElmar

Leica M7

Rose

Kodak Portra 160

ApoTelyt 135 Asph

Leica M7

Regards

Henry

• Like 3

Yellow and red in wheat field with subtle green 

Kodak Portra 160

Leica M7

50 Summilux Asph

Best

Henry

• Like 7

...  with landscape we have these colors

High definition and contrast 

color of pasture, wooden chalets ,fir trees , rock

Kodak Portra 400

Leica M7

50 Summilux Asph

Haute Savoie (France)

Best

Henry

• Like 4

The scanning and post-processing processes are very important to the look of the final image (obviously; and apologies for going off-topic here). Personally I've had to experiment a bit to find a preferred workflow for b&w, c41 and e6. Especially for slides (but increasingly more for colour neg) I am abandoning ColorPerfect (except for simply inverting a colour negative image and getting rid of the orange mask). Scanning slide film as normal (non-linear) tiffs and adjusting them in ACR or Photoshop gives vastly better results than making linear scans to be "developed" in ColorPerfect. With slides it's obviously easy to see this by comparing with how the image looks on the light table. In particular the highlights will look better but I also see more shadow details (even without increasing the number of samples on the Coolscan 9000).

philip

To avoid going off-topic or hijacking this thread, I'd love to see a new thread with a description of your revised workflow (if and when you have the time).

• Like 3

Absolutely, I can do that. Would be interesting to hear people's views and experiences too.

To avoid going off-topic or hijacking this thread, I'd love to see a new thread with a description of your revised workflow (if and when you have the time).

• Like 3

Add me as a rabid requester for this. I'm on the edge of stepping back into developing, and adding a scanner (the only thing holding me back is I'm in the process of relocating to another Country), and avidly digest all offerings on film > digital file workflow.

• Like 3

You can keep it in this thread since it does inform choice of color film. After all we made choices before as to whether end use needed slides or prints etc

It might be more easily discoverable in the future if it gets a new thread and a searchable title referring specifically to color workflows - but I leave it up to you guys.

• Like 1

The cheapest C-41 film so far: Superia 100: Eur. 0,40ct 135-24. OK I had to buy 512 films at Fuji Tilburg for a rest stock. Their best C-41 film: pro 400H. The color balance of this film is perfect!

If you want a C-41 film without Orange mask and printable for B&W too: Rollei Digibase CN200, made by Agfa Gevaert.

• Like 1

The cheapest C-41 film so far: Superia 100: Eur. 0,40ct 135-24. OK I had to buy 512 films at Fuji Tilburg for a rest stock. Their best C-41 film: pro 400H. The color balance of this film is perfect!

If you want a C-41 film without Orange mask and printable for B&W too: Rollei Digibase CN200, made by Agfa Gevaert.

A little confused though (comes with the age), you are saying surperia 100 is the cheapest but pro400H has best color balance (fuji brands or all color?)  -- the Rollei Digibase CN200 is worthy because it has no orange mask? How is color balance, etc, the metrics by which you measure pro400H?

Thanks in advance for your answer.