Survey: Which Leica (or non-Leica) cameras do you use?

LUF Admin

Which cameras do you use?  

1,213 members have voted

1. 1. Which camera types and brands do you use?

• Leica only
    • No Leica at all (please vote what else)
    • Leica and other manufacturer (please vote what else)
    • Nikon DSLR
    • Canon DSLR
    • DSLR (other manufacturer)
    • Mirrorless (other manufacturer)
    • Compact Camera
    • Medium Format
    • Smartphone
    • Analogue / Film
  2. 2. Which Leica camera systems do you use?

• Leica M
    • Leica R
    • Leica S
    • Leica SL
    • Leica T
    • Leica Q
    • Leica X
    • Leica C
    • Leica V-Lux
    • Leica D-Lux
    • Leica Digilux
    • Vintage Leica (Screwmount or similar)
    • Other Leica (please comment which)
    • No Leica at all

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Now  I  use  Leica M-240  with  3  lenses.   Elmarit  28 mm.  asph  -   Summarit  50 mm.  f.2,5    -   Summicron  Canada  90 mm.  f.2.      I  have  an  adapter  Novoflex  and  Nikon 180  f.  2,8  lens

and    an  old  Sigma  18  mm  f.  3,5   so  I  can  fit  them   to  the  Leica  body.

For  many  years   I  used   Nikon  bodies    and  lenses   and  I  was    satisfied,  but  time  ago   I  had  the  opportunity  to  try  a  second hand  Leica  9  which  I  liked   very  much.

Then  one  day   I   went  to  the  Leicastore  of  my  town  and   I  decided  to  buy  a  second  hand  more  updated  camera  model  M-240.

At   the  moment  I  am  quite  satisfied  of  its  performance. 

My  best  regards  to  all  forum  members.

Bob :)  

I use My M6 and M8  exclusively . I own a M9 and still I am planing to buy a Mm Monochrome as I thing it is one of the best . Only  three  Summicron lenses ( 35,50,90mm ) to go with the M bodies .

Apart from these cameras I own a Hasselblad 203Fe and some lenses I and Xpan and a Nikon F5 Negative cameras . They are almost getting dust I confess !!!

Edited by Cyril Jayant
  • Like 1

These days I use a Leica M2 and a iif. I also use a Leotax F, Canon P, and until last week, when I sold it, a Canon SiiB - both LTM bodies. I have and also use a Nikon D300 and a Nikkormat FTN, an Olympus E-PL2, and a number of older SLR and RF bodies by other manufacturers, a Ricoh Diacord TLR, and an old Brownie 2A Model B. Some only get used once or twice a year. Most of my work is with the Olympus, the iif and the D300. Leicas I have owned in the past were the Leicaflex SL, SL2, R3, R8, and a M4.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I used an M9 extensively, but mostly for a project at work.  The M9 got part-traded for an M240, which (absent the same kind of project) mostly sits in a drawer and comes out to check lenses. Most of my photography is film, but I prefer vintage M and screwmount cameras and lenses of the same period (over a dozen of the former now, and many more of the latter).  I have not bought a new Leica product in a while, and the company has a knack for introducing products that leave me cold.

Edited by M9reno

• 3 weeks later...

I've spent many years using many cameras before finally settling on Nikon DSLRs. A D3100 with an 18-105 zoom was my go-to travel camera. Then last year I picked up a used Leica C-Lux 2 to keep in my pocket at all times. Surprised by the image quality I decided to take it to Europe earlier this year instead of the Nikon.

It was unfortunately damaged when it got soaked in a rainstorm at Stonehenge, although the photos were worth it. I replaced it with another C-Lux 2 and also bought a D-Lux Typ 109. Since buying this camera I haven't touched the Nikon.

I also have a large collection of film cameras and always have at least one loaded, currently I have a Canon QL17 running a roll of black and white, prior to that it was a Kodak Pony, next up is an Olympus Pen half frame.

I played with a few film cameras while buying the D-Lux and I can see an M3 in my future.

Canon G1X for anywhere anytime snapper (wonderful swivelling screen)

Canon G12 for something approaching pocket able

Canon 60D for DSLR

Fuji XE1 with Fuji lenses and live view also allows live view with Micro Nikkor and any lens made

Leica M8's for one of the nicest camera to use

Leica V-Lux 4 for bridge camera  "all in one" with huge zoom

Leica IIIc (f conv) when I want to make things difficult for myself

Leica M6 when I want to use film

Nikon FE2 another nice film camera

Nikon 35Ti for film snapper

Nikonos III when I'm under water or in the surf

Other MF cameras Pentax, Fuji and Bessa II; Graflex, Linhof for LF and pinhole work

avoid using my iPhone 4s but sometimes have to if I want to quickly show my children something via SMS.

faaar tooo many cameras on top of all that, and I makeno apologies for being a camera junkie.  Photography is a by-product... :lol:

Dave S

Edited by david strachan

• 2 weeks later...

I left all my other digital systems in favor of the M240, but if I'm honest, I prefer the Leica M shooting experience on film. I'm kind of indifferent towards it with digital. That being said, there aren't any digital systems that currently interest me (well, the Medium format world does, but it doesn't interest my bank account, it frightens it). 

I use an M240 and an MP for film along with some lenses.

My favorite compact camera ever is the Ricoh GR, just a wonderful little tool and in my opinion, the perfect digital camera. I of course use my cell phone for quite a lot of images, but it's mostly just day-to-day things. Currently my cellphone is an iPhone 6s.

I also shoot with an old Hasselblad 500cm that's about 15 years older than I am. I don't shoot with it all the time, but it's really satisfying when I do.

Two weeks ago I acquired the SL with the 24-90 APO Vario-Elmar, but still enjoy very much using my M-P (240) with all the lenses listed in my profile / signature, as well as the V-Lux 114 for everyday point & shoot service, plus a couple of old M film cameras I can't bring myself to sell but never use anymore. That's the picture-taking side of my gear-kit. in addition there's a Gitzo GM2541 4-section carbon-fibre monopod with RRS monopod head and bi-dirctional QR plate, and a Gitzo 3541L 4-section 'Long' carbon fibre tripod ( long not because I'm that tall, but it's nice to have the extra lenght in the legs so one can level the head in irregular mountain terrain and since it's all carbon-fibre, any weight gain is utterly negligible ), with an adjustable center-post and RRS BH-55 ballhead mounted atop a RRS plate with bubblelevel ( for correct alignement for panorama shooting ) and an RRS QR plate. Both the M & the SL are equipped with 'Thumbs-Up' brackets and RRS L-plates. After more than a decade of using RRS equipment, and after considerable experimentation with others attempts to support a camera/lens combo as required, I would not waste a millisecond's thought on Arca Swiss or any other brand of camera support items. Several Billingham bags as well as a large AW Lowepro Cordura travel bag with rain-cover to hold it all. 6 Lee GND filters in both hard and soft edge configuration in 1,2 &3 stop strengths, Polarizers for both the M including adapters for all the various M lenses and an 82mm polarizer for the SL, and a Seconic 558R lightmeter for exposure verification and dynamic range determination of the scene. The final major piece I use on rare occasion but yet couldn't do without is my SF-58 flash which I use indoors exclusively.

After going through all Nikons from the original F through the F4, and most digital Canons starting with the 5D Classic & winding up with the 5DMkIII and most of both comanies's lenses plus many 'good' third-party Zeiss lenses, I feel I now have finally arrived at the most effective, user-friendly and totally capable 'single-brand' system I've ever owned, or to put it more precisely, the system(s) I enjoy using the most, and which gives me the greatest level of confidence that I'll be doing the best work I've ever done with a camera, ever.....by far. Every day I discover areas and features where the SL can competently fill in where the M either fails completely or is clumsy / complicated / inconvenient to use.......a menage a trois made in heaven.

Don't mean to be personal and/or nasty about this, but it really makes me shake my head and roll my eyes when people keep asking and conduct polls on which is the better camera.......and want advice on which camera, the M or SL to buy. They're different cameras, with differing capabilities and constitute different tools - I submit it's time for some serious introspection into your photographic needs and what features / capabilities each camera format offers and which of those fill your needs. Try them, go out and shoot with them, buy them and trade them if you feel you've made the wrong choice, but get some hands-on experience and find out for yourself.

Personally, I specialize in automobile and motorsports photography, consequently I require a small light and eminently manageable 'Klein Kamera' for static subjects which can occasionally be difficult to compose / frame, but never without an absolute need for the highest image quality........an application for which the M is supremely well suited. For racing coverage, whether it's a Grand Prix or a vintage / classic weekend-gathering the need is for infallible, accurate & fast autofocus, good burst rate, effective long lens capability ( not the laughably inadequate EVF II offered on the M240 ) and reliability with a vast repertoire of options available to customize various function / menu profiles, all areas in which the SL promises to be a stellar performer. Yes, it's a steep learning curve, but, I'm having genuine fun and holds the promise of a very satisfying, long-term relationship with the SL's concept.

I'll go so far as to declare that I am presently completely content with the above selection of Leica equipment I have accumulated and can, much to my beloved and long-suffering spouse's great relief, finally give my GAS compulsion a long break.........well, at least after I purchese the 90=280 APO and the sure-to-be eventually announced 1.4 Extender.

JZG

2 x Leica M3, Leica M5, Fuji X-Pro2

Spent an afternoon with an M-240, but decided not to buy because 1) not responsive enough compared to analogue, 2) too heavy and too thick and 3) didn't like the wide-angle viewfinder and the bright LED lights. Fuji is ok, good images, some weird design choices. Would like a digital sensor with better highlight handling of contrasty scenes.

M6 (2012 DAG CLA) - not used with any regularity but hesitate to sell it as it just feels so good in the hand. It's like an old, dependable friend.

M-P 240 chrome - my "main squeeze" (translation: most carried Leica companion) used with:

- Tri-Elmar 16-18-21mm (with EV2)

- 35mm Summicron ASPH (always on the camera)

- 50mm Zeiss Sonnar-C f1.5 ZM T* (tweaked by Zeiss Germany for optimum 1.5 use)

- 85mm Canon f1.9 chrome lens from 1959 with 6-bit adapter

- other lenses used, when I have access, Noctilux f0.95 and 75mm Summilux f1.4

Fuji X-Pro 1

Fuji XT-1

7 Fuji XF lenses (14, 18, 35, 56, 18-56, 50-140)

Ricoh GRD IV

Nikon F3HP - almost never used (see same excuse as I gave with the Leica M6!) misc. Nikon lenses

Various old stuff like a Kodak stereo camera; Russian FED with Industrar 50mm lens; a couple of Olympus XA; vintage Canon 135mm f3.5 LTM chrome lens; vintage 135mm f4 Zeiss chrome lens; Zuiko MC Auto-S 50mm f1.4 lens; etc.

It's all fun!

• 3 weeks later...

I notice we can delete our vote - but can we vote again if we do?

I ask because, I used my M240 in March on vacation and was so disappointed by the results and the handling that when I picked up the SL and used that, I swapped the two.

Since then, my list of common camera usage is:-

SL with M & R lenses

Bessa III 67

Panasonic GX7 with 14, 20 and 45 lenses (I left the heavy 12-40 zoom at home)

M8 (funnily enough, I still enjoy this and find it easier to focus than the M that I had).