Eastman Double X

jonnymoondog

• 3 weeks later...

I bought two rolls to try it and wasn't that impressed over Tri-X or HP-5. One problem I found with both rolls is it cuts off the last frame. I'm sure it's the way it was rolled. I bought it commercially, I didn't roll it, from Film Photography Project. Both rolls had the last frame cut off about half way or more. I won't be buying anymore.

25259131144_29a115204e_c.jpg_1DF4495 by David Fincher, on Flickr

Edited by ColColt
  • Like 1

I bought two rolls to try it and wasn't that impressed over Tri-X or HP-5. One problem I found with both rolls is it cuts off the last frame. I'm sure it's the way it was rolled. I bought it commercially, I didn't roll it, from Film Photography Project. Both rolls had the last frame cut off about half way or more. I won't be buying anymore.

How many frames were on the negative (ie was it 35-1/2 or 36-1/2)?

Thanks, Eoin.

I've shot a few rolls of this at EI640 and processed it in Diafine.  So far, I quite like the results. 

Has as anyone any experience in pushing the EI further? I like Tri-X in Diafine at 1200, but I do not enjoy the curl the negatives seem to always take on. Double X dries pretty flat, so it would be great if you could expose it at 1000+ when the need arises.

• Like 2

How many frames were on the negative (ie was it 35-1/2 or 36-1/2)?

Thanks, Eoin.

It was a 24 exposure roll. I bought two rolls and both did the same thing-I didn't do them myself. They were commercially rolled. That shot that got cut off was the 24th shot.

Edited by ColColt
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

They were commercially rolled. That shot that got cut off was the 24th shot.

So far I do not know any company who offers XX in a real commercial assy because we are talking about a minimum of 10.000 rolls for an option in  Europe. I am offering 5222 XX in a 135-36 assy but I am using a short end loader from AP. The adhesive tape just between the 2-3 sprocket hole and I am loading till 37th exposure to be sure the client has his 36 exposures for the money he has paid for. If you're loading with an old fashioned Watson type loader you are loosing at least the last expose complete.

It is a pity the Euro against US$ went from 1:1,45 to 1:1,05 now which means that Kodak 5222 XX "made in USA" has become an expensive film now. At least when you have to buy in Euros.

Starting at Eur. 4,25 for a metal AP 135-36 5222 XX confectioning without DX but with label, beginning of last year our price is Eur. 5,25 now. It is a niche in a niche market so that 10.000 rolls in a professional assy, 135-36 safety cassette by Foma or Harman or whatever you can forget!

Some pictures:

23925749279_21fd711f00_z.jpg

5222 xx E.I. 250 in HC-110 (dil. B  ).

24185410812_6b59b9e7c0_z.jpg

5222 xx E.I. 250  in ATM-W (Atomal from Wehner).

Leica M7 + Summicron F/2,0-50mm examples.

An experiment:

22416943723_c9fa3dea7c_z.jpg

5222 xx E.I. 100 in Hans Windisch W665 1+0 Ultra Fine Grain type developer. Based on ortho- Phenylene Diamine. In the USA you can buy from Blue Grass approx. the same type Panthermic 777, based on para- Phenylene Diamine. Grainless ......

Kiev-4AM with J-8M.

Edited by fotohuis
  • Like 2

pushed to 400 shot under red lights ....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1