Eastman Double X

jonnymoondog

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do you guys like this film? I just bought 10 rolls and will be trying it out soon. I can get  a 400' roll at a 30% discount with my student rate directly through eastman. Unfortunately my mp (2003 model) won't accept reusable cartridges, I think, so I can only shoot it in my M4, which is my rainy day camera. Hopefully this will be my rainy day film.

Unfortunately my mp (2003 model) won't accept reusable cartridges,

Later Leicas cannot use the Leica reusable cassettes that open in the camera as you lock the base, but they can certainly take common reusable types.

The MP will not accept the brass Leica IXMOO cassettes that is correct. It will accept plastic or metal, refillable from bulk, felt trap cassettes which are widely available.

Whilst many here will have shot the film probably the best resource is this thread elsewhere:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52426&highlight=xxx

posted as above was being posted!!

• Like 2

It's a great film. I use it from around EI100 to EI1000 and like the results in both Diafine and HC-110. It tries virtually flat and scans well. Plus it looks good (to my eyes).

In terms of bulk loading, you can also re-use empty film cassettes.

• Like 1

Do you guys like this film? I just bought 10 rolls and will be trying it out soon. I can get  a 400' roll at a 30% discount with my student rate directly through eastman. Unfortunately my mp (2003 model) won't accept reusable cartridges, I think, so I can only shoot it in my M4, which is my rainy day camera. Hopefully this will be my rainy day film.

You already beat the house with that student discount. Buy some re-usable metal snap-cap or plastic twist-cap cassettes. If you're jonesing for one of the old brass cassettes (very nice) buy one off ebay and wear it as an amulet else you're throwing away your savings.

s-a

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Great film. Haven't tried pushing it just yet but will. Prefer it to tri x

Your observation might just push me over the top to get some.

I am SO disappointed with how Kodak has mucked with Tri-X.

Here is a shot, in the snow, using this film that I took the other day from an office window in Times Sq NYC looking west. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

In suppose you mean roll my own? Never did that. More to the point I keep reading that the cassette won't fit into the M-A.

I think the limitation is specifically related to the Leica IXMOO brass reloadable cassettes rather than a problem with all cassettes used for bulk loading.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 2

Very nice image Steve. I agree with S-A there's something about those middle grey tones. I posted this one earlier today in the I Love Film thread. I'm always amazed about the EI span Double-X is capable of; this was at EI200 in Diafine.

25009280353_6a802eaf82_b.jpg

Flickr

I use simple plastic screw top cassettes. Work like a charm in my TTL and M4 because they have the same proportions as ordinary film cannisters. And I also re-use old cannisters that I save.

Here is a shot, in the snow, using this film that I took the other day from an office window in Times Sq NYC looking west. 

Double-X is the film I use more than any other. Those grays are why.

s-a

• Like 2

Just curious - why EI 200 with Diafine? Most everybody recommends 500-640 for this combination. I've just started shooting this film (second roll) and am still working out speed and developer choices. Thanks!

Very nice image Steve. I agree with S-A there's something about those middle grey tones. I posted this one earlier today in the I Love Film thread. I'm always amazed about the EI span Double-X is capable of; this was at EI200 in Diafine.

25009280353_6a802eaf82_b.jpg

Flickr

I use simple plastic screw top cassettes. Work like a charm in my TTL and M4 because they have the same proportions as ordinary film cannisters. And I also re-use old cannisters that I save.

• Like 2

To be honest I'm pretty lazy and Diafine has a main advantage of being exceptionally simple to use and have not seen many ill effects with lower ISO/EI film. The times are more or less irrelevant (as long as they're longer than, I think, 4+4 or is it 3+3?) and temperature is also very flexible, between 21-28C I believe. The negs also scan rather well, I find, because they're often quite flat so that fits well with a hybrid workflow. 

My other developer is HC-110 which is really nice, but it always requires me to do the maths in terms of dilutions and the times are tricky too. And since I like to develop more rolls at once (I have a 5-roll tank) and most of my rolls are shot at different EI Diafine is the most efficient choice.

br

Philip

Just curious - why EI 200 with Diafine? Most everybody recommends 500-640 for this combination. I've just started shooting this film (second roll) and am still working out speed and developer choices. Thanks!

• Like 2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is Double X at 640 in Diafine. Pretty nice tonality, I'd say. 

• Like 4