Advice for new iMac

JHAG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So I'm on the market for a new iMac, as my Macbook is not enough to handle pics.

Having a very good deal from an official Apple UK merchant, I'm sill wondering about two options :

- iMac 128 SSD + 3 TB Fusion drive

- iMac 256 SSD + external WD 8 TB drive USB 3.0

Merchant says second setup is faster, system and apps being on 256 SSD, pictures and documents being on external.

I must say just 8 months of picture files are already filling up a 1 TB Macbook drive up to 65 %, so storage, large and fast, is becoming an issue.

Any advice from distinguished members ?

I would go with ssd and use ssd attached storage (either usb 3 or thunderbolt or look at drobo or symbology NAS)

I just recently became a convert to ssd with a brand new macbookpro I went with ssd and have my storage on att'd ssd's (they plug into my AirPort Extreme so they are visible throughout the network. 

My my next purchase is either the drobo or synology. 

Edited by prk60091

• 3 weeks later...

Off load pics to external drive where they belong.  Keep a few favorites as duplicates on SSD if you wish.   

Or keep everything on SSD for 3/12 months, then move the oldest.  Or never put any files on SSD, download card to external and work from there.

Plugging up main drive will slow computing time,  make using extra ram mandatory and slowing down computer,    just generally not a good way to work.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm going towards internal SSD (500 Gb), with system, apps and some essential files only.

Still pondering externals though.

SSD is too expensive for my needs (8 TB).

What's the upside of Sinology NAS versus for example RAID ?

I went for the second option. iMac 27" 5K SSD, no fusion, some external drives for all images with Thunderbolt connections. Very fast, no problems. I had to add some extra RAM, 8+32, to get CaptureOne and Creative Cloud running fast enough for my standards

So I'm on the market for a new iMac, as my Macbook is not enough to handle pics.

Having a very good deal from an official Apple UK merchant, I'm sill wondering about two options :

- iMac 128 SSD + 3 TB Fusion drive

- iMac 256 SSD + external WD 8 TB drive USB 3.0

Merchant says second setup is faster, system and apps being on 256 SSD, pictures and documents being on external.

I must say just 8 months of picture files are already filling up a 1 TB Macbook drive up to 65 %, so storage, large and fast, is becoming an issue.

Any advice from distinguished members ?

Sorry, but without further information, it is impossible to say which setup is faster.

And keep in mind that drive speed has a zero-ish impact on photo processing.

Speed, apart, my recommendation for mass storage is to get what you need for the next 12 months.

When you run out of storage space, buy a new drive at "future cost", which will be much lower than "now cost" ;)

Edited by CheshireCat

'And keep in mind that drive speed has a zero-ish impact on photo processing.'

But loading the photo into your processing program is very dependent on drivespeed

Not really. Even the crappiest mechanical drive for laptops will load a typical 24 MP raw file in less than one second.

Guest Her Berger

My 2 year old Air is small SSD. 125 I think + 8 GB special order.   

It handles PS just fine .   No computer will work properly if you use the main drive  as a storage library.   

+1, agree, small internal SSD, maximum RAM and 2 storage discs, one for the pics, 2nd for backups.

just my Cup of tea.

• Like 1