Would you swap M(type 240) for M(type 262) ?

a.noctilux

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I have never own M (type 240), so I'm curious if people who use M 240 would swap to M 262.

When I have tried the M 240 some time ago, I didn't want it. I don't know why :p .

However, when I have tried shortly the M 262 in the shop, I was sure it's for me.

Then when I use the M 262 for a couple of days now, I can say that this camera is wonderful :wub: .

It's weight is just the same as my other film M.

First time that I took a picture with the new M262, I didn't believe that the shutter has fired, it's so low in pitch and noise.

Not the same as a M-A but this is almost musical to my ears.

The feather touch of it's shutter release enchanted me also.

The files need little or zero PP for my amateur's need.

Regards,

Arnaud

Edited by Just amateur

No , I wouldn't.

Whilst I don't use it often, the LV/ EVF arrangement has allowed me to get some photos that wouldn't have been possible otherwise, and some of them have become very important to me and one or two other people.

Losing that important if rarely used ability would be too great a sacrifice for me.

Edited by Peter H
  • Like 2

I would not.  I have used live view a total of two times and that was enough to convince me that it's nice to have it as an OPTION. 

if I could reprogram the buttons on the top and front of the camera to do whatever I wanted I would have no objections at all.  If I could make the M button become a WB button, for instance, I would be happy.

For a long time I had desired an M9P and eventually bought one off eBay. I've never been keen on the red dot and wanted something that looked like my MP so that my wife wouldn't know I'd bought another camera. Not long after I got the M9P, a standard M9 came up on eBay which had a ludicrously awful description and actually came with a Sumicron attached. A couple of people had bid low, presumably put off by the child-like description and unaware that the lens was included. Seeing such a bargain listing about to end, I bid and won it. The lens was sold off so I had a standard M9 for about £1000. At the time they were still selling for over £2000. Anyway, somehow, that standard M9 always seemed more compact and lighter than the M9P which I sold. It's odd that the presence of the dot made such a difference to the user experience. I can imagine that, if I held my M240 and lighter newer M262, I would gravitate to using the latter, and perhaps it would get more use than my M240, but I wouldn't sell for the privilege.

As a side note, I noticed recently someone bought an M240 with a 35summicron Asph attached for £2500 on eBay. What a bargain.

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No, absolutely not.

Had the 262 been released before I bought my M240P, I may well have considered it, but now having had the use of an EVF, even as infrequent as that use is, I know now it would have been a mistake. My M-P is set up like a 262 most of the time... but on occasions, the EVF is indispensable and greatly extends the capability and flexibility of the M.

Why anyone would even contemplate selling an M240 (and losing money in the process), only to buy essentially the same camera with less flexibility and almost certainly having to pay more for the privilege, is beyond my comprehension...

Edited by Bill Livingston
  • Like 5

As Peter H said and I agree :

No , I wouldn't. 

Whilst I don't use it often, the LV/ EVF arrangement has allowed me to get some photos that wouldn't have been possible otherwise, and some of them have become very important to me and one or two other people. 

Losing that important if rarely used ability would be too great a sacrifice for me.

In short, no.

I have just bought a new M240 M-P at the same price of a new M262 (short demo period, roughly 250 shutter actuations). Yes It is slightly heavier but would not give up any of the additional features of my M-P for just 100g weight.

I would not make the proposed trade; I see no advantage in doing so. 

While I don't care for the video mode on the M-P 240, I would not give up live view in order to be rid of video.  I do not use live view a lot, but it is helpful in some circumstances. 

The M262 is a welcome addition to the M line, though.  It offers a more affordable entry into the digital M arena for those with less forgiving financial situations. 

Edited by Carlos Danger

If you have found that you enjoy one camera and not the other, then I absolutely agree that it's a worthwhile course for you personally.  As I don't have that same reaction myself, I see no functional or economic justification for doing so myself.

Edited by Schrödinger's cat

When I have tried the M 240 some time ago, I didn't want it. I don't know why :p .

Maybe before the firmware release that now allows user to totally disable video and LV if desired?

To answer your question, no.  Still smooth shutter release and quiet re-cock with the M, and weight/balance is just fine for me.  Plus, easy to turn on LV to do a quick camera/lens focus calibration check.....a handy feature in the world of digital Ms.

And most importantly, zero improvement in pics....with an already terrific camera, with zero problems.  The M262 may however have slightly better weather sealing through elimination of ports....but I've never had a problem in rain with the M.

Nice, though, that Leica offers the choice....at different price points....especially for new users.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Swap? No. I might have considered both cameras had I had the choice. However there would have been no reasonable point in upgrading my M9 to  the M262 and the added features of the M240 were exactly what I was hoping for.
As it is I really appreciate the M240 for the added features and my M9 and MM for the pure experience (whatever that may mean, probably different things to different people). No place for a 262 in my stable.

Thanks everybody for your kind answers :) .

Absolutly yes! I got the wonderful M262 for Christmas.

She is more beautiful than the M240, that I never liked really. And I don't need LV.

Elmar

Dear Elmar, have you swap M 240 for M 262 ?

In this case, you're only one who have done that for now.

I see clearer now that M 262 is not for former 240 users who would regret Liveview and Video.

So I don't regret my choice for I never use LV or Video on M.

Regards,

Arnaud

No, I did not swap from the M240 but from the M9. But I considered the M240 several times. And if I would have one, I am sure I would swap - only money or my wife (which comes out to the same) could hold me back. I had a M240 several weeks, when my M9 was in Wetzlar for sensor replacement. But I did not really liked the M240. I was happy to get my M9 back and I am even happier with the M262, because she is better than the M9 in all aspects.

Elmar

Edited by elmars
  • Like 1

I see clearer now that M 262 is not for former 240 users who would regret Liveview and Video.

To reiterate....the M240, via FW release, now allows users to disable LV and video through a simple menu click, with no further intrusion or effect other than psychologically knowing the machine is capable.  The M262 is lighter because of the aluminum top plate....same battery....not because of LV/video.

Some folks have requested that the video button be reprogrammable for other use, but that hasn't happened.

Jeff

• Like 2