Recommended papers for Black and White printing up to A2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I only became aware recently of PermaJet Titanium paper. It seems to have caused a stir at the photography show in Birmingham a couple of years ago . I can find no reference too the product on the Forum. Was this paper a "one hit wonder" or is this paper particularly good. 

BrianP

Never heard of. The quality of the paper itself is one thing, but it would be nice if the ICC-profiles would work to get out that quality and in my experience many brands do not deliver there. 

Until now, Canson is the best for me in both aspects: very nice surface, extremely harp and reliable profiles. I use Harman WarmTone too, but it needs just too many testprints to yel about it. 

Permajet is a UK brand - I don't think it has much traction outside the UK. If you use the "look for an international reseller" page on their website, it doesn't give you any options at all :p

It sells very well to UK camera club members, and they have an effective sales force that targets that market. They also are good at supplying ICC profiles, free for their own paper, a charge for others.

I have some of their Oyster (good cheap RC paper for less important stuff) and Smooth Pearl (knock off of Ilford Gold Silk - I'm not impressed), but I've never tried their art papers or Titanium.

Edit. PS I also use their continuous ink flow system on my Epson R3000 - it has worked well for two years and saved me a load of money

Edited by LocalHero1953

• 6 months later...

I have recently tried a sample I was sent of Ilford Prestige Gold Mono Silk. I printed a test A3 print on my Epson Photo Stylus Pro 3880 and thought it was the best B&W paper I have used to date. I have just winterised my 3880, with Piezoflush carts for its over-winter hibernation in France but I will buy some of this paper in A2 size next spring. That is unless I manage to find another reconditioned 3880 for the UK to replace my horrible Canon Pixma Pro-1, in which case I will buy some of the Ilford paper earlier. The end result looked like a perfect silver baryta print from a large negative (original image from SL). The second sample sheet I used an amended profile, to produce a cyanotype print and again it was excellent. The downloadable Ilford printer/paper profiles I find more accurate than any other paper manufacturer.

The other Ilford Paper I would like to try for B&W is Galerie Gold Raster Silk, which has a slight cream tint. I always think that B&W prints on paper with a slight cream tint have that extra edge, which seems to enhance the contrast and sharpness. 

Wilson

I was just looking at the Permajet website. A very impressive range of papers but no price advantage compared with Ilford, so for the moment, I suspect I may stick with "the devil I know."

Wilson

Hello Wilson

Have you tried www.on-linepaper.co.uk

I first used them a few years ago after coming across them at the Focus exhibition.There prices are pretty good and free postage if you order £100 worth. From time to time they offer extra discounts so it is worth being on their mailing list. Due to the cost of exhibiting they gave it a miss  last year and I think the Jury is still out for the 2017 show.

Hello Wilson

I first used them a few years ago after coming across them at the Focus exhibition.There prices are pretty good and free postage if you order £100 worth. From time to time they offer extra discounts so it is worth being on their mailing list. Due to the cost of exhibiting they gave it a miss  last year and I think the Jury is still out for the 2017 show.

Brian, 

I normally buy from Marrutt in Uckfield, who are local, give me professional photographer discount and have always been very helpful. However recently, they seem to stock less and less Ilford papers and more of their own brand or Lyson, which I suspect are the same. I have bought Lyson but am not a big fan. They did a profile for me for the Canon printer for their heavyweight matt paper but whereas it was OK for colour it was not great for untinted black and white. www.onlinepaper keep very good stocks of Ilford and the last time I bought some A3+ Smooth Pearl from them, I received it the next day. 

Wilson

Hello Wilson

I've used them for the last couple of years for Canson. Good value, and good service; very apologetic when they didn't have one particular paper in stock - sent my order in two batches with the second arriving only a few days late.