New to Leica S

djmay

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently purchased a Leica S 006, and am quite delighted with it. I am still getting familiar with it. My path to Leica S went by way of medium format film, large format film and M9. I would always use the 4x5 for the special photos, while using the M9 for walking around and some tripod work. Since I travel with the 4x5 field camera, hauling a 20kg pack, using the Leica S will be a weight reduction. I will see if the the S can be an alternative to the 4x5. From what I have seen so far, this looks promising, except for when I need movements.

My observations so far:

1. Handheld requires 1/250 shutter, although I have used the 2 second timer at 1/60 quite effectively, with 70mm lens.

2. I have not used the M9 in the few weeks that I have had the S. It may become a backup camera.

3. With 4x5 I mainly use 75mm, 150mm and 240mm. I use 150mm and 240mm very often. I also have a 90mm that I rarely use.

4. With M9 I use 28mm, 50mm and 90mm. I use 90mm infrequently, however, it is perfect for when I do use it.

5. I am evaluating which lenses to add for the S. I am looking at 30mm and either 120mm or 180mm. My reason for 120mm would be the added functionality of macro. Since I have not done much of that in the past, it may be something I would like to try.

I would appreciate impressions from other S users, who have also used 4x5 film.

Jesse

I would get the 120mm no matter what, my favourite, I have the 180mm as well but use it much less. Another option is the 24mm and 45mm, gives a better spread than just a 30mm. If you do go for the 30mm I would recommend a 70mm as well, it is relatively cheap and fills in the large gap between 30mm and 120mm....

john

• Like 1

You asked about how the S files compare with 4x5 film.

As a long time large format user (I had both 4x5 and 8x10 enlargers, and I have worked with all sort of lenses, from 47 mm to 450 mm) I dare to affirm:

The 4x5 negs are able to deliver prints perfectly comparable to the ones made from S files, in terms of tonal gradation, detail etc.

I am saying this purposely in reverse order, because the prints from the S can be better than the prints from a 4x5 neg.

That happened before more or less with the Monochrom files...

It's true, a S is more light and compact than a field 4x5.

You will enjoy the S immensely

Edited by Manolo Laguillo
  • Like 2

Oh I had 5x4 and 10x8 cameras and a 13" enlarger, you lose the movements of those cameras but get spontaneity ;-) IMO the good silver printing papers have disappeared (graded Portrega, original RR, Oriental Seagull, Ilford Galerie gloss and matt etc) and a good scanner is very expansive! So I am happy with my S system :-)

john

• Like 1

Welcome to the S.

I'm also a former 4x5 and 5x7 shooter; you'll love your S.

The 120 is a great lens, I'm using it much more than I anticipated including for stitched panoramas.

The 70mm is the lightest lens and great for walking around, similar view to any normal lens. Great resolution and pretty fast to focus if you like street photography.

I use the 24mm the least of the three, it's heavy and almost "too wide" for general use...but when the subject fits it's magical.

My "wish list" lens is the 45mm to split the difference between the 24 and 70, it would be my "city lens" much as the 35 Summicron is on my MP.

Here's a 24mm shot

20929972713_d457bcace4_b.jpg

This is a two shot stitched 120 mm shot, it's been on the forum in the past but still a good example of what the 120 can do at infinity.

23482314354_a5aec081f4_b.jpg

Edited by Sailronin
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would get the 120mm no matter what, my favourite, I have the 180mm as well but use it much less. Another option is the 24mm and 45mm, gives a better spread than just a 30mm. If you do go for the 30mm I would recommend a 70mm as well, it is relatively cheap and fills in the large gap between 30mm and 120mm....

john

Hello John,

The 70mm is the only lens I have, therefore I have the gap filled.

Jesse

You asked about how the S files compare with 4x5 film.

As a long time large format user (I had both 4x5 and 8x10 enlargers, and I have worked with all sort of lenses, from 47 mm to 450 mm) I dare to affirm:

The 4x5 negs are able to deliver prints perfectly comparable to the ones made from S files, in terms of tonal gradation, detail etc.

I am saying this purposely in reverse order, because the prints from the S can be better than the prints from a 4x5 neg.

That happened before more or less with the Monochrom files...

It's true, a S is more light and compact than a field 4x5.

You will enjoy the S immensely

Hello again Manolo,

I have read comments in other places about how the S is too heavy to carry all day. I always have a little chuckle. I moved from carrying around a monorail to a field camera because of the compactness. Occasionally I would miss some of the movements loss, however, it meant a smaller pack. For me the lighter load of the S is a bonus. It is some of the things that you and John McMaster mentioned that pushed me over to the S. Now, I will see if it works out as well as I expect.

Regards,

Jesse

Welcome to the S.

I'm also a former 4x5 and 5x7 shooter; you'll love your S.

The 120 is a great lens, I'm using it much more than I anticipated including for stitched panoramas.

The 70mm is the lightest lens and great for walking around, similar view to any normal lens. Great resolution and pretty fast to focus if you like street photography.

I use the 24mm the least of the three, it's heavy and almost "too wide" for general use...but when the subject fits it's magical.

My "wish list" lens is the 45mm to split the difference between the 24 and 70, it would be my "city lens" much as the 35 Summicron is on my MP.

Here's a 24mm shot

20929972713_d457bcace4_b.jpg

This is a two shot stitched 120 mm shot, it's been on the forum in the past but still a good example of what the 120 can do at infinity.

23482314354_a5aec081f4_b.jpg

Stitching is something that I may try. Very nice image.

Jesse

Jesse,

You and I have taken a similar path from medium format (Rollei 6008) to large format (Toyo 45A) then M9 (35mm Zeiss, 50mm Lux, 90mm Elmarit M) and then, last November a certified S006. I started with the 70mm which is just a lovely lens for walking around. I could not be happier with the system. I will use it everywhere I used the M9, albeit recognizing some of the limitations with low light, shallow DOF issues.

While I promised myself that I would use the S/70mm combination for a while to get used to the system. that resolution quickly faded. As you know, the S lenses are quite pricey. True, there have been a couple remarkable deals on Ebay for used samples. but that kind of transaction can be uncertain.

As a very viable alternative, I purchased the Leica adapter for Contax which opens the S to a world of excellent glass at a fraction of the cost of similar S focal lengths. I found a certified one from Leica Miami for about $1k. Because it was a dud, Leica sent me a brand new one that works perfectly.  If you read the reviews for the Contax 120mm f4, you will find it has a stellar reputation. I can attest to that as well. I got mine from KEH for about $650. On the wide end, I got a virtually new Contax 35mm (appx 28mm equiv) for about $900. While the 120mm is a manual kens, the focusing is very fast, especially if you get the Leica split screen, which I highly recommend, even for use with native lenses. The auto focus function of the Contax 35mm works flawlessly. 

Ultimately, I could not be happier with my move to this system. The files, with the Leica and Contax lenses, are stunning and have so much more latitude and flexibility than the M9 files. I am sure that I will pick up the M9 from time to time, But I find the S more intuitive, comfortable and quicker in my hands. 

Wish you well.

David

• Like 1

Everyone is different. My main lenses are the 30-90, 120 and 24 in that order. I also have the 100 for portraits (stunning) and the 180. I still have my 70 but use it rarely..

Albert  :)  :)  :)

Hello Albert,

At which range do you find you use the zoom the most?

Regards,

Jesse