Taking out the white LEICA paint...

Jeffry Abt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone tried taking out ( with a tooth pick) the white paint in "Leica"? ....As is  often  done with the M.

Just a question, I'm not complaining about the SL. But if I owned a SL, I might want the "Leica" to be a little bit more subtle.  I really don't care for the gaffers tape solution.

• Like 2

Here's another way of creating an SL 'STEALTH' camera … but at your own risk:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1. Attach a piece of good quality adhesive tape across the LEICA logo  … I used 20 year old 'Scotch Pressure Sensitive tape' … which has not yellowed over time. 

2. Using a permanent black marker pen (I used a STAEDTLER Lumo colour permanent marker), apply ink onto the sticky tape to cover the logo

3. Use a wet finger to de-gloss the ink to a matt finish 

4. On close inspection LEICA logo is still visible but from a distance unlikely anyone unfamiliar with cameras will realise it's a Leica

The red dot can be similarly disguised. I've made two attempts at this and peeled off the first to make sure no damage had occurred to the matt black camera finish or the white logo. And I'm assuming the black marker pen ink will not bleed through the sticky tape onto the camera. 

The advantage of using thin sticky tape is that it's less visible than thicker proprietary black tape. 

I have used a very fine Staedtler permanent black marker pen to apply ink directly to the white shutter speed numerals on my M6 Titanium - to make them more visible against the titanium finish - but first tried on a small test area to ensure the ink can be removed using iso propyl alcohol. But would not recommend the same direct application procedure for the LEICA logo. 

As stated above … if you wish to try this it's at your own risk. 

There is a 23mm T lens attached to the camera. When I'm using my FD L lenses on the SL maybe inquisitive onlookers might think a Canon camera is in use :)   … or a Sony  ;)

Best wishes

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

I've never hidden a logo on any camera I've owned. Very very few people notice that I have a camera at all, never mind whether it's a Leica or a Hasselblad, or whatever. 

Stealth is in the photographer, not in the camera. 

• Like 1

An alternative is to print a logo of your choice:-  "CANIKON" or "SONTAX" for example in  white out of black on photopaper employing a Leica style font and paste it over the existing Leica logo.

I'd print MESSIAH … being the R solution for which we've all waited and waited so patiently.

dunk

An alternative is to print a logo of your choice:- "CANIKON" or "SONTAX" for example in white out of black on photopaper employing a Leica style font and paste it over the existing Leica logo.

Interesting. What tape do you recommend and how I could print ZONY or LOMO logo on it?

I use the tape on my S2, I cover the FOBA sign as well when I shoot flat art and paintings and interiors. I am noticing the camera logo reflections in the images much more often than I would like them to see.

As the body is aluminium you can easily file it flat and remove all trace of LEICA completely.

Just a lick of matt enamel paint or 5 minutes with sharpie/transparency pen and you will have greatly enhanced the resale value of your now unique 'STEALTH SL'  

Edited by thighslapper