darkroom ventilation?

maine207

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,

So I am starting to think about how to set up my darkroom and the issue of ventilation came up. I am renting so I can't put any holes in the wall or install any permanent fans, but I could use a window- so I was looking on B&H at their darkroom fan options and was also reading previous threads in different forums and people are also saying that you not only need to vent the air in the room out, but pull fresh air in? So how would I go about doing that, if it's necessary? Leaving the door open will not be an option and it is a relatively small room. Could I buy two of these fans, put them one on top of the other but one of them reversed and run dryer tubing from it to the other side of the room so it is pushing fresh air in to one side of the room and while the other fan is sucking air out the window? If I did this, I would have to put in a small space heater during the winter..it would get cold.. That is the only option that I can really think of..what do you guys do for this?

Thanks for any advice

Given you have a window, a temporary plywood panel to act both as a light seal over the window and somewhere to mount a fan would be OK. A small kitchen extractor fan would work, you can make a box light baffle for it to mount on the outside of the plywood the other side of the extractor hole. As for a fan to pull air into the room, well you aren't going to suck all the air out of the room so it wouldn't be necessary unless you have difficult climate conditions, or you are dealing with some very exotic chemicals. It should be remembered that photographic paper has a very slow speed, so while you don't want stray light getting into the room, an ambient glow under a door shouldn't make any difference to printing.

Steve