Going to Dubaï with the Q

Lucena

I am going to Dubaï next week and will spend there 10 days. I will take the Q, of course, but have a doubt: is it worth carying a D800 with a 15mm zeiss lens... or not?

If someone can help me making a decision...

Dubai and 15mm: Yes, if city-scape and building/architecture (exterior and interior) shooting is priority. Otherwise no.

• Like 1

Thanks all of you, sorry not to answer individually but internet is very weak after the storm, will be repaired over the weekend, till then it takes almost 30" to download one page...

In fact I mostly intend to shoot city-scapes and architecture. And maybe the sky in the desert at night.

I have been told only to take wides, I think I will take the D800+15mm Zeiss in order not to regret it, I also take the Leitz table tripod that can hold on the nikon.

It is nice to have the feeling of those who went there, expect as much fun as Suey11 had!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lucena,

that is a question I am asking myself too, because I will also go for a city shooting in a couple of weeks. So, if you want to do architecture of those dimensions  I would carry the "bulky load" too because you will probably regret not having a superwideangle lens at hand. On the other hand you may consider going lightweight. Then you have to compromise in terms of having some work in pp correctignthe slanting lines afterwards. If you want to do longtime exposure at night, he "Q" is usable but only up to 30 secs. Remote control then by smartphone is an option. Also the darkpicture function cannot be put off, so you have to wait until this process is being finished before you can take the next shot. So startrails etc are not the subjects for the "Q". But it is very usable if you do not want to caryy a tripod and shoot handheld. The high ISO performance is excellent up to 6000 ISO and more if necessary.

Good luck with your decisions....

• Like 2

Perhaps consider a smaller, cheaper wide angle solution ?

Something like a $300 Samyang 12mm f2.0 and a Fuji XE2 or Sony A6000 ?   It will give 18mm equiv., and the package is smaller/lighter than just the Zeiss lens alone, not to mention worth not even half as much.

Nothing wrong with the D800 and Zeiss, great combo, but bit of extra gear to haul around if your not actually going to see a ton of use

• Like 1

Enjoy and it's ironic, but I'm going there Wednesday as well.  For that length of time I would definitely take at least two lenses/bodies.  It's interesting, but the first lens I new I would be taking is the WATE, which I plan on using with the M9.  I'm also going to be shooting Cinestill on the M7.  Based on the recommendations here, I'm also going to bring a 28.

• Like 1

Enjoy and it's ironic, but I'm going there Wednesday as well.  For that length of time I would definitely take at least two lenses/bodies.  It's interesting, but the first lens I new I would be taking is the WATE, which I plan on using with the M9.  I'm also going to be shooting Cinestill on the M7.  Based on the recommendations here, I'm also going to bring a 28.

Maybe we will pass by each other somewhere... look for a red dot!!!

Have a nice time.

• Like 1

Perhaps consider a smaller, cheaper wide angle solution ?

Something like a $300 Samyang 12mm f2.0 and a Fuji XE2 or Sony A6000 ?   It will give 18mm equiv., and the package is smaller/lighter than just the Zeiss lens alone, not to mention worth not even half as much.

Nothing wrong with the D800 and Zeiss, great combo, but bit of extra gear to haul around if your not actually going to see a ton of use

The point is that being used to top gear... I would feel frustrated...

Lucena,

that is a question I am asking myself too, because I will also go for a city shooting in a couple of weeks. So, if you want to do architecture of those dimensions  I would carry the "bulky load" too because you will probably regret not having a superwideangle lens at hand. On the other hand you may consider going lightweight. Then you have to compromise in terms of having some work in pp correctignthe slanting lines afterwards. If you want to do longtime exposure at night, he "Q" is usable but only up to 30 secs. Remote control then by smartphone is an option. Also the darkpicture function cannot be put off, so you have to wait until this process is being finished before you can take the next shot. So startrails etc are not the subjects for the "Q". But it is very usable if you do not want to caryy a tripod and shoot handheld. The high ISO performance is excellent up to 6000 ISO and more if necessary.

Good luck with your decisions....

Decision made, I take the so-called bulky load, if I want a night picture it is the ideal and I should be missing it for architecture. 

With the leitz table tripod I will carry around 7 pounds of gear...

Thanks for tips.

• Like 1

+1

You can just get the Burj Khalifa in the frame of a 28mm from one of the terraces nearby, so unless you're into architectural shots in a big way, I wouldn't bother taking an extra whole body just to go wider.

The point is that I intend to take architectural shots... So decision is made, I also take the "bulky load" (love Iduna's expression!)

• Like 1

The point is that I intend to take architectural shots... So decision is made, I also take the "bulky load" (love Iduna's expression!)

I'm sure you're right.

I have spent a lot of time in that region over the years and have concluded that the only things worth photographing that give you a "sense of place" are the architecture and desert landscapes. Street photography is limited for cultural reasons, though I have, after asking permission, photographed some of the more tolerant local people. (Photographing the expat community is OK, but unless you are documenting their lifestyle, you don't have to go to Dubai for that  :)).

Apart from the desert there is little variation in the landscape until you go to Al Ain (which has interesting architecture) and across the border to Buraimi and Oman, up the coast towards the Musandam peninsular (and there again Oman has the best scenery), or across to Fujairah where it is a bit more rugged.

If you get the chance go to Masdar City; strictly it is Abu Dhabi, but is easily reached from Dubai. It has its own distinctive architecture, designed to make Masdar the lowest carbon, most sustainable city in the world. It hasn't (and it is a township, not a city), but full marks for trying.

I lived in Oman for a while and loved the place, so I may have a prejudiced view of the Emirates!

• Like 2

I lived in Dubai for 5 years and still visit regularly, in fact was there the week before last. One of my favourite places to photograph is down by the Creek to see them loading the Dhows. The cargo can be anything from Cars/Pickups to washing powder. For this I would recommend a 50/75mm in order to include some of the interesting characters.

Enjoy the trip.

Regards, Tom

• Like 1

I'm sure you're right.

I have spent a lot of time in that region over the years and have concluded that the only things worth photographing that give you a "sense of place" are the architecture and desert landscapes. Street photography is limited for cultural reasons, though I have, after asking permission, photographed some of the more tolerant local people. (Photographing the expat community is OK, but unless you are documenting their lifestyle, you don't have to go to Dubai for that  :)).

Apart from the desert there is little variation in the landscape until you go to Al Ain (which has interesting architecture) and across the border to Buraimi and Oman, up the coast towards the Musandam peninsular (and there again Oman has the best scenery), or across to Fujairah where it is a bit more rugged.

If you get the chance go to Masdar City; strictly it is Abu Dhabi, but is easily reached from Dubai. It has its own distinctive architecture, designed to make Masdar the lowest carbon, most sustainable city in the world. It hasn't (and it is a township, not a city), but full marks for trying.

I lived in Oman for a while and loved the place, so I may have a prejudiced view of the Emirates!

Thanks to all this information, I will see what I can visit in 10 days, I'll come back here with impressions.

I lived in Dubai for 5 years and still visit regularly, in fact was there the week before last. One of my favourite places to photograph is down by the Creek to see them loading the Dhows. The cargo can be anything from Cars/Pickups to washing powder. For this I would recommend a 50/75mm in order to include some of the interesting characters.

Enjoy the trip.

Regards, Tom

Hey, that would add an extra lens to my D800, and two pounds more to carry!

I keep it for next time...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody.

Here nice weather, not to hot yet.

I quite never used the D800...the Q made almost all the job.

I was not lucky with the mist, simply didn't happen, and the day I chose to go on the top of Burj Khalifa the weather was milk cloudy, so the sunset was not gorgeous, nevertheless I enjoyed it...till the moment hI had to queue for going down, waited 50 mn...

Enjoy the trip.

Regards, Tom

I followed your advice and had a human experience that will be one of my precious rememberings: I went to the edge of the pier close to the dhows, walking in a tiny space between cargo and water...met the coolies, talked to them, they were curious to see a tiny old lady with a cam and fearless. I took pics but they took pics with me using their little cellphones, was invited to share their meal sitting on the cargo, what I did.

well, I am a former merchant navy cpt, so I kmow how to deal with.

Did not try video on the burj Khalifa night light show, the iPhone did the job, I was surprised when ir started as I was coming out of the mall, had no time to take the Q out of my bag, etc...

I will come with some pics within a few days, when back.

• Like 4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

A first one...

1/1000

f/7.1

ISO 100

• Like 12