Requesting advice on a potential good deal (M8)

Me Leica!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Leica experts and fans.

I'm starting to burn out on big DSLRs, for all their positive points, and I've been itching to get back into the RF experience (digital), and while a used M9 is a temptation now that the sensor issue is being resolved, a used M8 is no less so (and in some ways more : OK, you don't get full frame, but 10MP means nice manageable files, you get superb black and whites if you don't put filters on the lens, etc).

I've seen a used M8 going for an outrageously good price from a certain dealer in London. The "catch", so to speak, is that it has the so-called "coffee stain" and is thus sold without warranty.

I'm under the impression (and please correct me if I am wrong) but the M8 is pretty tough to get fixed anyway these days (and on top of that I live abroad), so buying one is very much a gamble. The price being quoted, though, is easily the lowest I've ever seen an M8 and to be honest it's something I would be happy to take that gamble with.

The issue of course is the "coffee stain".  I've read all kinds of things about it - that it comes and goes at will - but is it theoretically possible that it could make the rear screen totally unusable? I wasn't planning on chimping with it, given its low resolution, but if you can't see things like ISO and WB, then you have a potential problem.

Any experiences, anecdotes, advice, etc, received with thanks!

Edited by Me Leica!

No - it is a purely cosmetic issue, and it has been known to disappear. Mostly an M8 can still be serviced, but over time more and more parts will run out. On the other hand, given the quality of the camera - and its images, present day prices make it one of the most - if not the- most attractive used camera one can buy.

• Like 1

Not much to add to what jaapv has said as regards the camera itself but just to mention one odd 'advantage' the 8 has over the 9...

If you don't initially intend to lavish large sums of money on Leitz lenses until you are sure the RF thing is your thing then you could do an awful lot worse than to pick up some of the Voigtlander offerings made by Cosina. The 'advantage' is that, to state the obvious, the 1.33 crop means that the sensor is only using the better-performing part of the lens' covering-power.

I found myself in precisely the same situation as yourself around 16 months ago and picked up an M8.2 to which I added a pair of Voigtlander lenses; 28mm f2 and 40mm f1.4. This translates as approx 35mm and 50mm in full-frame terms (actually 37mm and 53mm).

The pair between them came to around £600 brand new and they are both (for my purposes and IMO) superb performers.

Pip.