"Perfect Strangers" : A NYC Street Portrait (Kodak Tri-X)

A miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This young couple indulged me for a few moments to stop for a random portrait in lower Manhattan.  

Kodak Tri-X

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14

Rodrigue, MT, Mark, Mark, Steve and Steve - 

Thanks, friends.   Glad you like and am happy to share this slice of New York City.  This was the last shot on a roll that was lost in my brief case for about 9 months and that I just got developed.  Pretty cool and is a testament to how mustering up the courage can be quite satisfying...  Thanks again...

• Like 2

Beautiful! 

robert

Thanks, Robert.  Nice hearing from you.

Impressed with what must have been rapid focus adjustment, at night too! 

Interesting comment, Steve.  This was actually taken in the middle of the day, and I posed them myself.  :o    The dark tunnel to the left is a narrow street with some scaffolding around it that is adjacent to my favorite coffee shop.  I had staked out the spot as being suitable for a portrait of some kind.  Then, one day I found these kids running through the narrow street and thought they would make nice portrait subjects; so I stopped them and asked them if they would pose for me.  The particular pose was inspired by an Guess Jeans advertisement that I saw around the neighborhood and in the subways.  If you study models and their poses it becomes apparant that most of their poses are actually quite uncomfortable and unnatural in the general sense, yet it comes across as elegant and beautiful.  This fascinates me and so I wanted to try to emulate it; I looked totally stupid try to tell them what to do, which exasurbated the overall embarrassment.  But what the heck!! 

With the explanation it has all fallen into place; the light at the end of the tunnel, the perfect pose etc, but I still think it's a fabulous shot, perhaps even more so knowing you orchestrated the shot.

Thanks, Steve. I think "orchestrate" is overstating the situation. It was more like hard selling :)