I miss my M

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Been looking at the new Olympus Pen F (Only looking) as I am scunnered with lugging that frigging lump of Leica S around my neck. Why oh why can't Leica do something with the rangefinder to make it easier for us old farts to see all the lines line up.

I was on my way back from Tanzania after being there on a 10 day safari and I bumped into some bloke in Dubai airport with a Leica M around his neck and I thought............that used to be me!!!! Now here I am with a 16kg backpack full of camera gear and not a happy chappie.

Anyway I am going to wait and see if Leica come out with a new M in 2016 and if they do I might just might get myself one and try again, only this time around stay away from the Noctilux and those hard to nail the focus lenses........maybe a 50 APO and a 21 something :)

Later

• Like 6

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

You just have to smile..... bless...

Why not have a look at the SL before you make up your mind...? 

It it might just be the perfect camera for you...

Bill, I saw some bloke in Japan in December with the SL and it looked just as clumsy as the S..........and he was shooting it like it didn't have a viewfinder (you know what I mean) holding it up in the air looking at the rear screen.........not for me :( :(

Three months must be up....and/or you're just bored again on a rig.

Next time, check LV against the RF to be sure you don't have a calibration issue to begin with......and that your vision is fully corrected for M use, and your eye is lined up correctly to see the focus patch clearly (a common mistake).  

I'm older than you and my eyes aren't great, but with a well calibrated system, and my glasses ideally corrected for distance and astigmatism, focus pops clearly into view using the RF on the current M (with lenses from 28-90, which is the sweet spot for M focusing without aid).   Maybe a new M will help provide a new experience for lenses outside the typical RF range, but the current RF is superb.

Or, perhaps your eyes aren't suited to the M.....but I bet otherwise.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Bill, I saw some bloke in Japan in December with the SL and it looked just as clumsy as the S..........and he was shooting it like it didn't have a viewfinder (you know what I mean) holding it up in the air looking at the rear screen.........not for me :( :(

You don't have to use it like that though... I have had a play with one at Leica Mayfair and although it isn't really the camera for me these days, I have to say, I was really impressed and it really isn't all that different in size to an M (much to my great surprise).

Could you borrow one for a day or two. You must have a friendly dealer who knows you will buy if you are tempted by it...

Edited by Bill Livingston

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Been looking at the new Olympus Pen F (Only looking) as I am scunnered with lugging that frigging lump of Leica S around my neck. Why oh why can't Leica do something with the rangefinder to make it easier for us old farts to see all the lines line up.

I was on my way back from Tanzania after being there on a 10 day safari and I bumped into some bloke in Dubai airport with a Leica M around his neck and I thought............that used to be me!!!! Now here I am with a 16kg backpack full of camera gear and not a happy chappie.

Anyway I am going to wait and see if Leica come out with a new M in 2016 and if they do I might just might get myself one and try again, only this time around stay away from the Noctilux and those hard to nail the focus lenses........maybe a 50 APO and a 21 something :)

Later

So why did you half-murder me when I told you so...? There is a darn good reason that I put up with the M240 EVF on Safari, and happy to do so ;)

• Like 3

....although it isn't really the camera for me these days, I have to say, I was really impressed and it really isn't all that different in size to an M (much to my great surprise)..

I have similar thoughts. I think the prob was launching it with just one very large zoom lens that has not helped give a good impression of the SL camera's size. With the eventual SL's 50mm lens, I daresay the package will look a lot more compact and approachable for people more used to M sized cameras.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

So why did you half-murder me when I told you so...? There is a darn good reason that I put up with the M240 EVF on Safari, and happy to do so ;)

Jaapv 

I do remember you telling me all of the above but don't remember barking back:) :) :) Remember I have been working on Oil rigs for over 35 years so my hearing isn't that great :)

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Three months must be up....and/or you're just bored again on a rig.

Next time, check LV against the RF to be sure you don't have a calibration issue to begin with......and that your vision is fully corrected for M use, and your eye is lined up correctly to see the focus patch clearly (a common mistake).  

I'm older than you and my eyes aren't great, but with a well calibrated system, and my glasses ideally corrected for distance and astigmatism, focus pops clearly into view using the RF on the current M (with lenses from 28-90, which is the sweet spot for M focusing without aid).   Maybe a new M will help provide a new experience for lenses outside the typical RF range, but the current RF is superb.

Or, perhaps your eyes aren't suited to the M.....but I bet otherwise.

Jeff

Yes Jeff I am offshore but thats not the reason for the post.........I'm genuinely pissed off not having a everyday walk around camera. The S is fantastic for day tripping in the car where you can leave it on the back seat, see something nice to photograph and stop take a picture and get back in the car and drive off to the next nice picture. But for walking around a town/village with a S & 30mm (my favourite S lens) hanging off my neck and 2 more S lenses hanging off my shoulder in a bag full of filters, batteries, etc etc it just becomes a chore and eventually pisses my day off.

I looked and tried the Q but even though its super fast and feels good in the hand, I don't want a camera with a fixed only 28mm lens.

Like I said I will wait and see what Leica come out with at Photokindoff and if they do come out with a New M then I will wait and get one of those (especially if it comes with a built in Diopter) :)

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

so why you do not just use a Leica M if size and weight is more important to you than the ultimate IQ of the S? Or you sell one S lens and buy a M + lens for that amount.

Tom I did the reverse of that last year................ I traded in all my M gear for a New S

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Neil, I have followed your posts for some time; so I am not very surprised to read this one. Perhaps a restless spirit lurks within?  ;)                                

Probably :) :) :)

• Like 1

Jaapv 

I do remember you telling me all of the above but don't remember barking back:) :) :) Remember I have been working on Oil rigs for over 35 years so my hearing isn't that great :)

At any rate, It'll be interesting to see how you like walking safaris in Luanga Valley or Lower Zambezi in 40 C. with the gear that you are carrying...:p.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

At any rate, It'll be interesting to see how you like walking safaris in Luanga Valley or Lower Zambezi in 40 C. with the gear that you are carrying... :p.

Jaapv

I had a fantastic time on Safari pictures here But you are right that was a Jeep Safari and very easy to manage gear when its just you and the driver. I actually was looking at a walking safari in Botswana and thought about what you just mentioned there................. so decided to not think about that anymore.

As far as having a fantastic walk around camera the M filled all my dreams, until I then started to struggle with my eyesight "that might have actually been just a need to get the body and lenses calibrated as Jeff S mentioned to me many many times. But anyway until Leica come out with a new M I will stick with what I already have, but will defiantly bet getting another M and maybe the 50 APO..................

Question how does the 50 APO compare to the 50mm Noctilux when it comes to focusing?????

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

The 50 APO is much easier for me. Also the 50 APO is tiny in comparison with the Nocti, both in weight and dimensions.

Peter.........when you say tiny, is it really that noticeable ??