Q's button pressure points

Burnie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi folks,

the Q is my first Leica and I'm really happy with the camera.
Being correctly it's my second. During the last week i've
received a replacement camera from Leica. But this is another

story.

Now to the point. All buttons have a rich tactile feedback
with a unique "click" which offers a very high quality feeling like
the rest of the camera. However, this is not true for the "Menu"
button. This one is very "soft". There is almost

no pressure point and no real 'click' available. At my first
Q It was similar with the 4-way direction pad. It's lower button
was very "soft".

I mentioned this additionaly to the main issue for the visit of

my first Q at CS in Wetzlar. CS rated the "soft" lower button

of the 4-way direction pad as OK.

Frankly speaking i'm a little unsure if I'am a bit to "paranoid" about
my expectation in terms of quality of a Leica. Well, i don't really feel

like wanting to send my new Q to CS. Especially as the "Menu" button

actually works. It's only soft.. On the other hand, such a "flaw" is

somehow pity...

How are your experiences with the Q buttons? Anybody with the sam
e

irregularities? And how do you deal with it?

Greets,

Burnie

Hi folks,

the Q is my first Leica and I'm really happy with the camera.

Being correctly it's my second. During the last week i've

received a replacement camera from Leica. But this is another

story.

Now to the point. All buttons have a rich tactile feedback

with a unique "click" which offers a very high quality feeling like

the rest of the camera. However, this is not true for the "Menu"

button. This one is very "soft". There is almost

no pressure point and no real 'click' available. At my first

Q It was similar with the 4-way direction pad. It's lower button

was very "soft".

I mentioned this additionaly to the main issue for the visit of

my first Q at CS in Wetzlar. CS rated the "soft" lower button

of the 4-way direction pad as OK.

Frankly speaking i'm a little unsure if I'am a bit to "paranoid" about

my expectation in terms of quality of a Leica. Well, i don't really feel

like wanting to send my new Q to CS. Especially as the "Menu" button

actually works. It's only soft.. On the other hand, such a "flaw" is

somehow pity...

How are your experiences with the Q buttons? Anybody with the same

irregularities? And how do you deal with it?

Greets,

Burnie

Burnie

It's a stormy night here,  so I'm going to test my six month old camera for the symptoms you describe.  Guess what!, my menu button makes less noise than the other buttons when pressed.   Am I worried? No.  

Could it be that you are going through the well known process of "buyers remorse" and must now discover something wrong In order to be able to return it? Don't be offended.  It's a well recognised part of the selling process and buyers have to overcome it.  Once you start seriously using your new camera, insignificant issues disappear, or possibly, a significant problem will develop and require attention.

Originally, many buyers noticed that the rear screen sqeaked when pushed. 5 months on, it appears that the same people have stopped debating the sqeak, and mine has stopped.    I deal with it by ignoring it.  The irregularity does not affect pictures, but if there is a genuine fault developing, something will fail, and your guarantee kicks in.   In terms of standard electronic reliability, the general pattern of reliability takes the form of a bathtub shape with three distinct lifetime divisions.   A certain number will fail very quickly due to faulty components in the manufacturing chain, then there will be a long period where few fail.  Finally, certain components in products reach a predictable period where many will fail due to old age.   For example, the shutter, or mechanical switches.  However, manufacturers do sample testing to establish the minimum time between failure  (MTBF). Manufacturers of quality components design and test components to deliver MTBF way beyond the expected life of the assembled item.

Take a trip and shoot 1000+ frames.  If a button fails, that component was genuinely failing and you've confirmed your fear.  If not, keep shooting.

Hope that helps.  Enjoy!

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

Burnie, welcome to the Forum!

The only button which causes me slight concern is the Video button on top the plate. It has caused several inadvertent actuations of the Video function.. Probably will overcome that hazard now I have the handgrip.

Burnie, welcome to the Forum!

The only button which causes me slight concern is the Video button on top the plate. It has caused several inadvertent actuations of the Video function.. Probably will overcome that hazard now I have the handgrip.

David.

until I read your post, I had completely forgotten that there  was a video button.  I've just looked at my Q and checked it was still there. 

It is true , that occasionally it can be accidentally enabled.  However, it's not as prominent as on the Sony Nex.

Edited by lucerne

Burnie

It's a stormy night here,  so I'm going to test my six month old camera for the symptoms you describe.  Guess what!, my menu button makes less noise than the other buttons when pressed.   Am I worried? No.  

Could it be that you are going through the well known process of "buyers remorse" and must now discover something wrong In order to be able to return it? Don't be offended.  It's a well recognised part of the selling process and buyers have to overcome it.  Once you start seriously using your new camera, insignificant issues disappear, or possibly, a significant problem will develop and require attention.

Originally, many buyers noticed that the rear screen sqeaked when pushed. 5 months on, it appears that the same people have stopped debating the sqeak, and mine has stopped.    I deal with it by ignoring it.  The irregularity does not affect pictures, but if there is a genuine fault developing, something will fail, and your guarantee kicks in.   In terms of standard electronic reliability, the general pattern of reliability takes the form of a bathtub shape with three distinct lifetime divisions.   A certain number will fail very quickly due to faulty components in the manufacturing chain, then there will be a long period where few fail.  Finally, certain components in products reach a predictable period where many will fail due to old age.   For example, the shutter, or mechanical switches.  However, manufacturers do sample testing to establish the minimum time between failure  (MTBF). Manufacturers of quality components design and test components to deliver MTBF way beyond the expected life of the assembled item.

Take a trip and shoot 1000+ frames.  If a button fails, that component was genuinely failing and you've confirmed your fear.  If not, keep shooting.

Hope that helps.  Enjoy!

Shortly: Thanks, that will help! ;-)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Burnie

Hope that helps.  Enjoy!

Yup ....  just checked ... mine too   :)

Edited by MickyW
  • Like 1

Burnie,,

I can guess I know what you mean. But really: just then feel the fumbly buttons of an Olympus EM 5 (even that works perfectly well)  but then to the Q there are worlds between those and this one. I think you should become accustomed to that and certainly it is a great thing being able to work noislessly. Erxercise and feel free....have fun!

• Like 1