M240 Firmware update requests

PaulJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On the back of what we would like on the next 'M' what about what we would like on this 'M' next firmware update.

I would like

i) easy ISO option - thumbwheel to change ISO without pressing the ISO button would be very useful when exposure compensation is not being used.

ii) ISO readout in OVF when auto ISO selected - It does this already but stops as soon as you half press the shutter button

iii) reprogrammable movie button

All of these would be switched on or off in the menus.

Do you think they read these forums to listen to their customers?

• Like 1

I have some requests.

1) get rid of the batter age message.

2) allow me to turn off the LV frame lines.

3) no restrictions on GPS receptions.

All three of these things are easy. Except for the menu options for the LV frame lines to be disabled.

One and two have been requested formally and the third... Argh... Many other cameras (including the Leica T) allows for GPS in all countries.

Edited by Soden

Much as I would like some firmware upgrades to the M240, updating a camera that's due to be replaced before too long may be pretty low on Leica's priority list.  Pity isn't it, they're such nice cameras.

I hope that Leica plays fair with existing owners as regards firmware updates. They are pretty good about supporting hardware e.g. replacing sensors in the M9. Some other companies are pretty good. Olympus has recently issued a substantial firmware update for the OM-D E-M1 which must be at about the same stage in its life cycle as the M 240. The new firmware gave the E-M1 a new lease of life with silent shutter, focus stacking in camera and various other enhancements. I do not expect anything on this scale from Leica but there have been quite a few suggestions from members of this forum that could be added fairly easily.

• Like 1

Much as I would like some firmware upgrades to the M240, updating a camera that's due to be replaced before too long may be pretty low on Leica's priority list. Pity isn't it, they're such nice cameras.

I would agree for most camera companies, but Leica has a history of firmware updates for EOL cameras. Didn't they just release an update for the T? I know for the M8 and M9 there were updates when we were expecting the next camera. I wouldn't make any assumptions.

Also Leica support has stated there would be another firmware release even if it only corrects the battery date issue. They wouldn't comment more on what it would correct beyond that or when it would be released. So one is coming at some point in time.

Edited by Soden

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would like a "Quick ISO control" mode that enables the following:

- Rear wheel sets ISO (not exposure compensation).

- Movie button sets ISO to the value chosen by the "Auto ISO" algorithm.

Much as I would like some firmware upgrades to the M240, updating a camera that's due to be replaced before too long may be pretty low on Leica's priority list.

Depends on how soon Leica realizes that competing against Sony/Zeiss with the SL may not be a good idea.

Edited by CheshireCat

I'd second the ability to assign other functions to the M button, which I never use as I don't intend to use the camera for movies.

This, I suspect, would have to be my number one request.  The very idea of having one totally useless button just annoys me.

Edited by Schrödinger's cat

[...] I'd second the ability to assign other functions to the M button, which I never use as I don't intend to use the camera for movies.

It's hopeless i'm afraid. Leica seems incapable to comprehend that we may need to customize buttons the same way as we do with more affordable competitors.

It's hopeless i'm afraid. Leica seems incapable to comprehend that we may need to customize buttons the same way as we do with more affordable competitors.

(Pssst LCT........The button isn't wired that way. Firmware can't change it.)

• Like 2

what I (and I assume many others) would like is:

the ability to edit and manually input lens profiles. I know Leica would never go the expense of having a system like Fuji or Sony where you can manually set your own lens corrections: but at the least leica should be able to let you manually input the name of a lens- and select one of the existing profiles for it. I have more than 25 M and LTM mount lenses and only one of them is coded. I would love to be able to create profiles for these lenses that I can manually select with lens detection turned off. That way I would have my lens name in the exif data. I often have trouble remembering which lens/lenses was used for a particular shoot. I don't see any technical reason why leica couldn't do this, nor do I see any reason why it would bother anyone if they did. If you don't need the feature you would simply ignore it.  I know there are many users who would appreciate this function? Given that Leica spruiked the ability to use legacy LTM and R mount lenses on the M240 I think they should go the next step and integrate the camera to better deal with such lenses.

How about fixing the bugs? Apart from the ones mentioned above:

- Every few months I have to redo my profiles because time zone and DST settings are saved and applied with the profiles.

- The camera still freezes occasionally if I shoot with ISOs over 800.

- From time to time a zoomed in image is displayed with a washed out look.

- The issue with the unique image id that is not really unique and leads to LR displaying the wrong thumbnail.

Leica should follow Fuji's lead on keeping existing owners up to date and improve their older models as well.

- Don't store gps coordinates unless the gps has a fix.

- battery age message

- separate auto iso settings for coded and uncoded lenses (including LD off) so that you can set 1/focal for coded and 1/"what ever you like" if not.

- auto iso to work in manual mode if you want it to

Cheers, Carl