which 75mm?

kengai

I had a 2.5/75 Summarit that I did not use that much so I sold it and before too long started missing the 75 mm lens. So I purchased a 2.5/75 LTM Voigtlander with a M adapter, nice lens in very good condition like it, but started looking at 2.0/75 Summicron Aspherical. Sold Voigtlander and purchased new Summicron. It has turned out to be my favourite lens, I mainly use it for landscape (on M 240) and could not be happier with it, it is expensive and heavy but stunning as far as image quality goes.

If you search the forum you will find many members who find the Summarit to be an excellent and much used lens. It is most usable in many situations and is light to carry. If you can afford it, that would be my first choice.

• Like 1

I would like to purchase a 75mm. I would use it primarily for portraits and landscapes, which one to choose?

I have owned the 75 Summilux and Summicron, sold both because it's an inbetween focal length and I hardly ever used it.   The Lux was huge, heavy, stiff and long to focus, and quite obstructive of the finder view.  The cron had none of those issues, but just wasn't getting used enough.  Eventually I found myself with an M8 and wanting a lens to replicate the 90mm full-frame FOV, and at the time, prices of Leica lenses had already become insane.  So I picked up a CV 75/2.5 and adapter.  I have not used it much since upgrading to a FF body, but I've still got it and do use it now and then.  For portraits it's just imperceptibly softer and lower-contrast wide open (like the pre-ASPH 90 Cron @ f/2) which suits it perfectly to the task; but stopped down as one would for landscapes, it's crackling sharp and contrasty.  Seems perfect for your intended use.  And it's an amazing bargain. 

• Like 1

I bought the 75 Summicron APO in 2007 as Tony Rose suggested it was the one of the best lenses Leica makes.  I found this to be true.  Wonderful color and smooth bokeh.  It is a great portraiture lens.  But, I sold it because, it was so close to my 50 Summilux FLE in both focal length and rendering.

After this I ran across a 75/1.4 Canadian collector's trade-in at our local dealer, 7-years ago.  This has been a very special lens.  It has created some wonderful images.  Mostly, it is the lenses ability at f1.4 that renders so beautifully.  Walt at his best.  Stop the lens down a couple stops and it is as sharp as anything.  Yes, it is a big lens and I generally stay away from lenses like this.  For that reason I don't use it as much as I could.  

I have never shot the Summarit but, I assume it is very good.  Mated with a small 35mm Summarit or Summicron this could be a nice little kit.  Depends on what you like.

Rick

• Like 1

The Color-Heliar 75/2.5 (Voigtlander)  is a great little lens with excellent image quality and a steal for the price. Worth considering if you do not count the focal length to be one of your main uses.

I have the 75/2.5 Summarit, it is excellent and imho underrated. I use it for portraits and it performs well. Easy to focus, much more so than the VC 75/2.5. You'll need learn the frame lines as it is easy to fall out to the 50 lines as the corners that mark the 75 are not large enough, in my mind.

Cheers, Carl

I have the 75/2.5 Summarit, it is excellent and imho underrated. I use it for portraits and it performs well. Easy to focus, much more so than the VC 75/2.5. You'll need learn the frame lines as it is easy to fall out to the 50 lines as the corners that mark the 75 are not large enough, in my mind.

Cheers, Carl

I use the VC 75/2.5 for portraits and love it - handling and, most importantly, image quality. I do find focusing at f/2.5 difficult - at f/2.8, it is much easier, but I thought that might have to do with my rangefinder.

I agree with Jaap on the Voigtlander 75/2.5, if for some peculiar reason you would not immediately want to go for the Summilux 75, which would become your lifetime companion in the end. 

Besides, the VC is a better travel companion. As a portrait lens I like it better than many Leica 90's for the M

Edited by otto.f

I have the 75 Summilux and could never part with it, it has such sublime soft edges on the subject at f/1.4, it really is everything it's cracked up to be.

I'm lucky in that mine (a 'v3') is in great condition, no trouble getting focus right, and has a very nice smooth focus throw. It is a really long throw though, I often idly imagine making a little MacGyver fishing reel type contraption to wind focus back and forth to spare my fingers the workout! I'm not a fan of the big plastic Steer (and similar) products that some use to create a focus tab for it. It isn't so bad to handle, it is large but for portraiture or landscapes, when you can take a moment to get things right, I can't see that's much of an issue.

Ironically the 75 Cron APO seems to be criticised for having too short/imprecise a focus ring - I've only owned the 90AA, which does not but is slightly large,especially in girth.

If I'm in a landscape context, or after a more general telephoto lens, I bring my 90 Elmarit along as I almost always have a 50mm about my person anyway.

I'd go for the 90 pre-AA if you want something with the 'special sauce' (Kool Aid?) for portraits but don't want the big cost of the 75 Lux - I don't know the Summarit or the Voigtlanders so can't comment on them but they might make more sense if this isn't going to be a lens for all occasions. The 75AA isn't going to be the kindest of portrait lenses.

Edited by cron-r

I agree with Jaap on the Voigtlander 75/2.5, if for some peculiar reason you would not immediately want to go for the Summilux 75, which would become your lifetime companion in the end

Besides, the VC is a better travel companion. As a portrait lens I like it better than many Leica 90's for the M

I agree.  Except, i would add that his second Summilux 75 would be the life long companion, as most sell their first and end up re-buying a second one, for more money.

Rick

• Like 1

I agree.  Except, i would add that his second Summilux 75 would be the life long companion, as most sell their first and end up re-buying a second one, for more money.

Rick

So true! I'm even having my third now

• Like 2

Consider the Voigtländer 75 mm/1.8. Nice for portraits wide open and tack sharp when closed a bit. Focus adjustment of my 75 mm/1.8 is spot on with my M 240.

+1

Not much else to say.  It's an amazing lens at an amazing price point. 

Another +1 for the Voigtlander Color-Heliar 75/2.5 if weight and funds are a factor.

Absolutely belongs on an M8 (had to buy a second for my daughter!) and (for me) works well on full frame.

I paid approx £220 from FFordes only a couple of weeks ago.  Bargain lens with quality optics - if I recall correctly Reid speaks highly of it.

James

It will be hard to find though nowadays. The 1.8 is, but it weighs  427grams, which I would not consider an option where you would in the end want a Summilux (625gram) once you're sure 75 is your thing

Edited by otto.f

Another +1 for the Voigtlander Color-Heliar 75/2.5 if weight and funds are a factor.

Absolutely belongs on an M8 (had to buy a second for my daughter!) and (for me) works well on full frame.

I paid approx £220 from FFordes only a couple of weeks ago.  Bargain lens with quality optics - if I recall correctly Reid speaks highly of it.

James

Actually, according to Sean, it outperforms the Summarit in some aspects. However, as always with Voigtlander, make sure to get a good copy. There is a bit of sample variation. (not surprising at the pricepoint)