Leica users are only interested in using gear that looks new.

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

An evergreen classic, but here's my 1966 Leica M2. Dent in the lens caused by me stupidly dropping it onto concrete when it was attached to my M Monochrom mk1. Knocked the rangefinder out on the MM, but otherwise, the camera and lens still worked fine. Leica gear is definitely tough, and built to be used, even the modern stuff. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cheers,

Colin

https://www.instagram.com/colintempleton/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

An evergreen classic, but here's my 1966 Leica M2. Dent in the lens caused by me stupidly dropping it onto concrete when it was attached to my M Monochrom mk1. Knocked the rangefinder out on the MM, but otherwise, the camera and lens still worked fine. Leica gear is definitely tough, and built to be used, even the modern stuff. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cheers,

Colin

https://www.instagram.com/colintempleton/

Nice camera, do you have it for a long time already?

Edited by Paulus

Thanks. Only been with me for around four years. It's a re-paint, not an original black paint. I'd still love to know its history though - the places it's been, the things it has photographed. I use it a lot, so I feel I'm doing some justice to whoever owned it before me.

• Like 1

back in the time of Elliot Erwitt, paint application technology was very much in the dark ages compared to now. this fact, in addition to his remarkable history, makes his or any other black painted M3 from that particular era look quite extraordinary by modern standards. factor in the speed with which digital cameras now supercede each other & you end up with the original seller's remarks. most owners would consider resale value at the point of purchase & would therefore keep their equipment in good condition. there's no shame in that.

Check your "shift" key.  

Rick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

back in the time of Elliot Erwitt, paint application technology was very much in the dark ages compared to now. this fact, in addition to his remarkable history, makes his or any other black painted M3 from that particular era look quite extraordinary by modern standards. factor in the speed with which digital cameras now supercede each other & you end up with the original seller's remarks. most owners would consider resale value at the point of purchase & would therefore keep their equipment in good condition. there's no shame in that.

I remember when the M9 was first released and within six or seven weeks photo's started to emerge on the internet of well worn M9's, all claiming genuine wear of course :rolleyes:

But the race was on to see who could be the hippest Leica user with a well worn M9, but months went by without any general complaints about pre-mature wear and the hipsters were shown to be fakers.

Steve

• Like 1

For me it wasn't. Still the remark from him came to me like a surprise. One is allowed to politly refuse IMHO.

What I mean is your first post made it seem as though it was purely a cosmetic issue - signs of use of the item. Sand/grit in the focus mechanism can be cleaned and doesn't affect the appearance of the item (although perhaps a sign that it was used on a beach or desert!).

I would buy a perfectly functioning but well used item, probably more so than a better condition item requiring repair - all depending on price of course.

What I mean is your first post made it seem as though it was purely a cosmetic issue - signs of use of the item. Sand/grit in the focus mechanism can be cleaned and doesn't affect the appearance of the item (although perhaps a sign that it was used on a beach or desert!).

I would buy a perfectly functioning but well used item, probably more so than a better condition item requiring repair - all depending on price of course.

IMHO the Lens needed a CLA and maybe a new bayonet before I dared to put it om my M 240. The man lived in the vicinity of the a beach.

For a Elmar-135mm which you can almost buy by the dosen better looking/feeling inside and outside for a better price, it was not worth the effort.

But maybe you are right and did I had to buy the thing, just to be on the safe side not being called "  You Leica users who are only interested in using gear that looks new." :)

But that is not the issue. I believe there is always a descision to make, which compares price with usability. The thing is, that there is a generalization of Leica users doing the above and at that moment being shared under this saying.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember when the M9 was first released and within six or seven weeks photo's started to emerge on the internet of well worn M9's, all claiming genuine wear of course :rolleyes:

But the race was on to see who could be the hippest Leica user with a well worn M9, but months went by without any general complaints about pre-mature wear and the hipsters were shown to be fakers.

Steve

The term an exercise in futility comes to mind. 

Maybe - just maybe - if these paint sander offers would spend more time making images and less time sanding the paint off their cameras, their photographic composition would evolve and their images would improve.

I keep my equipment up to spec but it often shows signs of use

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!