Leica users are only interested in using gear that looks new.

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today I heard a remark of a seller of a Leica item, that in my opinion looked to bad to be used by me. I would not buy it,

The seller remarked. : * Of course I should have known, that Leica people only use gear that look brand new."

I am interested if you use  M 240 /  MP /M6 etc. cameras, that don't look brand new. A picture would be nice.

Here's Elliot Erwitts M3. A thing of beauty.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

This is a particularly uncharitable interpretation - Leica equipment is expensive, so I look after it. I use it, but I see no point in treating it badly. However, if it gets marks from use, I'm not going to stress about it, nor will I replace it. 

Im the same with my car, or anything else. 

• Like 5

This is a particularly uncharitable interpretation - Leica equipment is expensive, so I look after it. I use it, but I see no point in treating it badly. However, if it gets marks from use, I'm not going to stress about it, nor will I replace it. 

My attitude to my cameras too

I'm not the same with my car, after 15 years its still not been washed (wet climate's handy though) :o .

• Like 1

Paulus, first of all, I would feel that I have to distinguish between wear arising from use, and other wear which may be symptomatic of misuse, accident or neglect. It's not usually to difficult to come to a judgment on this.Even s/h Leica gear costs a significant sum, and given the choice, I wouldn't buy a battered specimen which may indicate lack of care. If a prospective seller wanted to feel that I was being snotty about condition, then he's free to do so (as I am free to walk away).

• Like 5

back in the time of Elliot Erwitt, paint application technology was very much in the dark ages compared to now. this fact, in addition to his remarkable history, makes his or any other black painted M3 from that particular era look quite extraordinary by modern standards. factor in the speed with which digital cameras now supercede each other & you end up with the original seller's remarks. most owners would consider resale value at the point of purchase & would therefore keep their equipment in good condition. there's no shame in that.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Given the enormous market in used Leica equipment going back to the 30s, something which is characteristic of Leicas and has enabled so many people (including me) to get into the brand, I find this remark bizarre. If I want another Leica lens or other piece of kit I'm as likely to look for a used version as a new one. The great thing about Leica stuff is that you can buy used, it can look well-worn, but it will still work as good as new, or you can find someone who will make it so.

• Like 3

Call that a "yes me too". 

As Richard Feinmann's lovely wife once said to him, "Why do you care what other people think?"

Although I come from the use-it-to-death generation, I must admit that when I find something particularly fine, I will try to buy two of them and put one away. So it has become spare, unused Leica M4 and M2, each original black paint versions. A second 75mm Summilux is likely in the near future. It is the same with my favorite old Super Ikonta 6x9 and 6x4.5 and Veriwide cameras: two or three of each in the finest condition I could find - over many years. Silly, yes!

• Like 1

Although I come from the use-it-to-death generation, I must admit that when I find something particularly fine, I will try to buy two of them and put one away. So it has become spare, unused Leica M4 and M2, each original black paint versions. A second 75mm Summilux is likely in the near future. It is the same with my favorite old Super Ikonta 6x9 and 6x4.5 and Veriwide cameras: two or three of each in the finest condition I could find - over many years. Silly, yes!

I admit, that I behave in a same manner, only did this not apply for Leica gear for me. Only for resonably prices items under € 200,-

Leica users are only interested in using gear that looks new

:rolleyes:

This explains why Leica created the now sold out Lenny Kravitz kit, and why some posers will sit for hours with emery cloth wrapped around an index finger, obsessively creating on their own M camera a faux Elliot Erwitt patina...

Edited by Carlos Danger

Today I heard a remark of a seller of a Leica item, that in my opinion looked to bad to be used by me. I would not buy it,

The seller remarked. : * Of course I should have known, that Leica people only use gear that look brand new."

I am interested if you use  M 240 /  MP /M6 etc. cameras, that don't look brand new. A picture would be nice.

I wonder it the seller was asking too high a price for the item bearing condition in mind? 

They must know that Leica equipment values are particularly dependent on condition. That said I have no issue buying/using something that has been heavily used, as long as functionally it's still good.

There's something rather nice about owning an item that's clearly given years of sustained use to someone else. Isn't that the appeal of antiques and classic cars etc.?

I wonder it the seller was asking too high a price for the item bearing condition in mind? 

They must know that Leica equipment values are particularly dependent on condition. That said I have no issue buying/using something that has been heavily used, as long as functionally it's still good.

There's something rather nice about owning an item that's clearly given years of sustained use to someone else. Isn't that the appeal of antiques and classic cars etc.?

The seller was asking a resonable price. I just did not get a good feeling about the lens, because I heard sand in the mechanic.

How about this one?  This is my M8 that was dropped in a river in Honduras and continued to work for the rest of the trip.  It still works fine.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Tina

• Like 14

The seller was asking a resonable price. I just did not get a good feeling about the lens, because I heard sand in the mechanic.

Well that's a different issue entirely IMHO. It's easily fixed of course but I wouldn't buy a lens in that condition unless the price allowed for the cost of a CLA. 

Well that's a different issue entirely IMHO. It's easily fixed of course but I wouldn't buy a lens in that condition unless the price allowed for the cost of a CLA. 

For me it wasn't. Still the remark from him came to me like a surprise. One is allowed to politly refuse IMHO.

FWIW I picked up a second M9 as a back up which has clearly been dropped and used too, but has also been repaired (and had a new sensor fitted) by Leica. Leica's warranty exceeds the shop's from where I bought it at a huge discount due to its cosmetic condition. I would not have bought it if it had not been to Leica, even if it had been working, but as it was it was a real bargain. Replacing the top plate would probably bring its value back up but the cost of doing so would be similar to the increase in value so I'm not going to go there.

So I would refute the statement that Leica users are only interested in gear which looks like new. Mine, and clearly from posts here, others', doesn't, and I'm not particularly bothered about cosmetics. That said I do try to look after gear - its really far too expensive not to - but value is not as relevant as usability.