Every time after formatting an SD card, Photos App opens in Mac

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I really dislike the new Photos App that arrived with Yosemite, mainly because it does not permit the use of an external editor such as Photoshop, unless you go through the very laborious process of exporting, altering and then re-importing. I therefore still use iPhoto as my JPEG library, for which it does a good job and is very easy to use. I also use iPhoto Library Manager to move events between different iPhoto libraries.

However Photos has a dreadful habit of starting itself, every time you put a new or reformatted SD card containing images, into the SD slot on a Mac. You then have to go into Photos and then un-tick the box "open Photos for this device" and close photos down. I assume this is then saved as an instruction on the SD card, as if you reformat, you have to go through the same process again. 

Does anyone know of a Terminal or Automator sub-routine that will permanently disable this auto-open feature on Photos? 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This worked for me.

go into Terminal

paste the line below

defaults write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool YES

if that does not work, paste the following

defaults -currentHost write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool true

To revert to the standard setting paste this

defaults -currentHost delete com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug

Edited by pico
  • Like 3

I have been doing some further research and found a very old mini-app called RC Default App (it still works in El Capitan), which you have to install into ~/library/preference panes, after disabling the app developer police in System Preferences Privacy and Security. Then restart System Preferences, go to the Media page of the RC default App on the bottom line of System Preferences and select ignore for Cameras. That seems to work and stop the horrible Photos opening. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1