Filter stuck on lens!

mutanthands

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello collective team!

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help with my current conundrum;

As I'm doing a bit of travelling I picked up a 21mm Voigtlander 1.8 Ulton, along with a Hoya PL filter.

So far so good, love the lens.

However I put in the PL filter and now I can't get the blooming thing off! It wasn't over-tightened so I know it's to do with the filter material, ie. Not brass.

The tricky part is that the lens design has a built in hood which can't be removed, but it also means I can't get a proper grip on the filter, not lay it flat on a rubber grip pad.

If anyone has an idea on how to remove it, it would be greatly appreciated!

Direct pressure over the end of the filter rim, along with a twisting motion will usually loosen the thread.

With no lens hood on, the best way is to have a lens cloth in one's palm and press the end of the lens/filter onto it and "twist off".

Looking at images of your lens, I would be looking to find a cylindrical piece of wood/plastic, matching the diameter of the filter to bypass the fixed filter, in order to rotate the end of the filter.

There doesn't seem to be room to use the usual filter grippers!

Alternatively, a single length of wood/plastic held flat over filter end in between the lens hood petals could twist off the filter when axial force is applied at the same time as twisting.

My understanding and experience with filters is that any side gripping force simply locks the thread more firmly and doesn't allow removal, so "end-on" force to hold the filter, along with a twisting force is what is needed.

Good luck!!

The Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 is prone to the same issue. The problem is that the thread pitch on the lens is different than the filter, so things get jammed.

I solved the problem on the Zeiss with the following approach: 

Patience, patience and more patience

Realize that the filter might be damaged (then discard) in order to save the lens

Using a cloth, or better yet a small slab of soft balsa wood, press down onto the top (front) of the filter collar with as much force as you can control without breaking the filter glass down onto the lens front element. Apply a very slow anti-clockwise rotation to get things going...  like how a large locomotive starts from rest.

You will get it. 

• Like 1

The simplest remedy in my experience is to find a shoe with a rubber sole, push the filter flat against the sole and twist the lens steadily until the filter comes free.  This method evenly distributes the torsional force around the filter's rim rather than other methods which apply the force at specific points (through the fingers) and distorts the filter causing it to bind more tightly.  Since many people wear shoes with rubber soles you're likely to have the solution with you or close at hand most of the the time.

Pete.

• Like 1

The simplest remedy in my experience is to find a shoe with a rubber sole, push the filter flat against the sole and twist the lens steadily until the filter comes free.  This method evenly distributes the torsional force around the filter's rim rather than other methods which apply the force at specific points (through the fingers) and distorts the filter causing it to bind more tightly.  Since many people wear shoes with rubber soles you're likely to have the solution with you or close at hand most of the the time.

Pete.

Difficult as the hood is a fixture.

• Like 1

Was it cold out? I have had that problem of late and when the camera has warmed up a bit the filter came off easily. If temperature does work use a vise-grip pliers with some cloth so you don't have metal on metal and proceed GENTLY.....I did once, no problem.

Sorry to hear about your stuck filter but now I know to never put a PL on my Voigtlander with a built-in hood.  You can try screwing another filter into the stuck filter.  This is to keep the stuck ring from distorting from the uneven pressure applied between the hood tulips.  With the PL, however, I'm not sure it would help.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, being a PL filter certainly adds to the complication!

I think the elastic band suggestion might have some legs. Currently traveling in a country when my vocabulary is somewhat limited, but the challenge is half the fun...right? :)

NickR - yes don't do it! Or if you do make sure you have a brass B+W on as a base filter. Glad that some good can come from the whole ordeal though!

I use one of these and have found them to be very effective at removing stuck filters.  I always have one in my camera bag, just in case - http://www.amazon.com/Jar-Wrestler-Silicone-Grip/dp/B00WTSLA4G/ref=sr_1_21/189-8134016-5696062?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1454865174&sr=1-21&keywords=black+and+decker+jar+openers    To use this on a polarizing filter, I would wrap it around the outside of the rings and try to get a grip on the ring closest to the lens.

I have not used one of these but this might be effective on a stuck polarizing filter if the above item does not work - http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Kahuna-Silicone-Easy-Opener/dp/B00RPNG93M/ref=sr_1_20?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1454865585&sr=1-20&keywords=black+and+decker+jar+openers

Edited by Carlos Danger

• 5 years later...

After hours of suffering with the UV filter of my Summicron M 50mm I went to the basement and found these 2 eur rubber gloves. You can’t imagine how easy the filter unscrew with them :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1