Sad news: Digilux 2, no longer repairable

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yesterday I saw on auction a Digilux 2 with a memory card failure, so I contact Leica to see if they can fix it and got this response from them:

"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, the Digilux 2 can no longer be repaired, spare parts are not available anymore."

I thought I should share the message in case someone needs service on their cameras what to expect. That is sad, (I will have to save some more for an X Vario)

Thanks! Ricardo

• Like 2

Hi Ricardo,

my Leica Digilux 2 is at Leica Camera in Wetzlar for the same reason to get repaired. They suggested to give me a new digital compact Leica camera with 15% percent off a new model. 

Best Regards

Moritz

Edited by Moritz

Hi Ricardo,

yes the offered me a new Leica D-Lux 109 instead with 15 percent off. As I have a lot of Leica stuff I might get either the new Leica V-Lux (I do not have a 400mm Leica lens yet) or i get the new D-Lux 109 in steel grey (which is a quite nice finish and my old Leica Digilux 2 is silver too).

Best Regards,

Moritz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A good Digilux 2 is on sale on Web at 250/300 euro, cost less of a new Type 109 with 15 percent of (850 euro)

Ciao

Giacomo

Giacomo,

The problem is you will never know when the camera will stop working properly. It might work fine for months or years, but once it fails is gone.

• Like 1

And it is pretty easy to find used D-Lux in perfect condition in the 600-625 euro range, so even though is not the same experience, it is simply the closest thing we can get. Or you can jump to the X Vario (used) for a little more than 1000 euro.

I am fortunate to have two Digilux 2's that are still working and also had the D-Lux 109 for a time.  In my opinion the D-Lux 109 is not a natural successor to the Digilux 2 and while being a very good camera on paper I never warmed to it and eventually 'released it back into the wild'.  The major differences are that the Digilux 2 has all the major controls (mechanical zoom, mechanical aperture ring, and manual focus) on the outside of the camera at your fingertips whereas the D-Lux relies on menus and 'fly-by-wire', which are less intuitive and less direct and - for me - detracted too much from the photographic experience.  There's no doubt that the D-Lux has some significant improvements over the Digilux 2, for example the EVF, the number of MegaPixels, and the ISO performance, so it is an excellent camera in its own right.

If I was to replace a Digilux 2 then I think I would be more inclined to look towards the Q (YMMV).

Pete.

• Like 3

I am fortunate to have two Digilux 2's that are still working and also had the D-Lux 109 for a time.  In my opinion the D-Lux 109 is not a natural successor to the Digilux 2 and while being a very good camera on paper I never warmed to it and eventually 'released it back into the wild'.  The major differences are that the Digilux 2 has all the major controls (mechanical zoom, mechanical aperture ring, and manual focus) on the outside of the camera at your fingertips whereas the D-Lux relies on menus and 'fly-by-wire', which are less intuitive and less direct and - for me - detracted too much from the photographic experience.  There's no doubt that the D-Lux has some significant improvements over the Digilux 2, for example the EVF, the number of MegaPixels, and the ISO performance, so it is an excellent camera in its own right.

If I was to replace a Digilux 2 then I think I would be more inclined to look towards the Q (YMMV).

Pete.

I couldn't agree more with the 'fly by wire' comment re: the Typ 109.

That, together with the impossibly small size of the camera had me doubting my decision to buy it.

However, after 6 weeks of dedicated daily use, and the addition of a Leica hand grip, I've come to adore it. The images are simply outstanding.

Having said that, the only other option I would now consider is the X-Vario with EVF. The lens is too slow for my liking, but like the Typ 109's poor controls, I might learn to embrace it.

I would not hesitate to leave the 5DS at home next trip and use only the Typ 109. Give it a try!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

my Leica Digilux 2 is at Leica Camera in Wetzlar for the same reason to get repaired. They suggested to give me a new digital compact Leica camera with 15% percent off a new model. 

Hi Moritz,

Is your D2 now for sale?.

Regards,John.

Having said that, the only other option I would now consider is the X-Vario with EVF. The lens is too slow for my liking, but like the Typ 109's poor controls, I might learn to embrace it....

Understandable concern. In practice it is much less of a problem if you are prepared to master low-light solutions. If you can see your subject, you can photograph it with the X Vario.