Leica IIIc variations - 3

Pecole

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As a conclusion to this review of the various Leica IIIc in my Fontenelle Collection, I illustrate hereunder

- the sharkskin- covered nº 474544, with its special "cam-shaped" CAVOO-F speed-setting dial and the VACU flash synchronizer attachment it actuated

- a complete fitted UYOOQ carrying case for a IIIc with PLOOT mirror reflex housing, UXOOR bellows, OOZAB sliding focusing stage, KGOON ball and socket head, OZXVO double cable release and a UOOVH adapter.

And, last but not least, a so-called "Italian" Leica IIIc nº465857 engraved (red) "AERONAUTICA MILITARE". I was particularly proud of this addition to my collection - with two wartime Leica IIIb engraved "R.AERONAUTICA" - since I believe I was the first Leica collector to "unveil" this rare variant. In fact, quite a number of these "Italian" bodies were found in Belgium, where they had been "imported" by the numerous Italian workers who came to the country as mine workers after WW2 (many belgian-born wear today Italian names, like former prime-minister Elio di Rupo).

The story of these Leicas is interesting : a first batch of IIIb had been offered by Hitler to his ally Mussolini, and engraved "R.AERONAUTICA" (for Reggia Aeronautica, the mussolinian air force). After the war, the new Italian air force, called Aeronautica Militare, decided to buy the "same" camera, at that time a 2d model IIIc, and engraved them "AERONAUTICA MILITARE". The accompanying Summitar lenses were engraved "A.M.", and the leather cases embossed "AERONAUTICA MILITARE". Interestingly, the flash contact socket professionally added on all bodies is exactly the same as the one found on all known "R.Aeronautica" IIIb's (Leitz made?)

My photos illustrate the camera (see the added flash contact socket on the lower right front), its engraved Summitar, the detail of its top plate engraving, a close view of its "added" flash contact, and finally the embossed ESFUS case with opening for the flash socket.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

• 6 years later...

Hello Pecole,

here Igor from Germany.

I just discovered your very interesting illustration above and liked to let you know that I owe the 'twin-lens' to your Summitar A.M. It has the serial-number 667474. And it's also engraved A.M.

What a funny coincidence.

Do you have any idea of how many of this Aeronautica Militare Summitar versions exist ca.?

Kind regards to all

Igor

• Like 1

Hello Michael,

thank you very much.

I saw the number :)  that's why I wrote 'twin-lens'. The lens was mounted on a IIIa from '38 without special engravings.

I look now for a build-year matching IIIc sharkskin, I will fill it with Velvia 50 and shoot.

Best regards

Igor

• Like 2

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Super-Elmi:

I look now for a build-year matching IIIc sharkskin, I will fill it with Velvia 50 and shoot.

something like this? the upper one is not sharkskin anymore, with conversion to IIIf it received new body shell with regular vulcanite. And the lowet one is gone...

Edited by jerzy
  • Like 2

And here the Summitar A.M. No. 667474 on a common IIIc (converted to IIIf) from 1949.

Some first quick test samples from this lens on the M9M. F8, F2 and F2,8.

• Like 1