A non-technical MM 246 review

dsedov

Thank you, Dennis. I enjoyed it very much.

Your thoughts on the transition from your M6 particularly resonated with me. I've recently been thinking about returning to film with an M6, but your point about "many feet of film" and the chores of processing and scanning has me thinking again. I suspect nostalgia has gotten the better of my common sense. 

I'm an M-Monochrom user and pretty content with it. However, with my other cameras I use live view a lot and know I would find it valuable on an M. 

John 

Hi Dennis,

I devoured your web site. Excellent photography - I love b&w geometry and architecture photography. The content was very relevant to me as I do use post processing on colour channels to adjust b&w tones. I still enjoy shooting (M4) and developing film but not so much the scanning and spot removal in post processing. I went into my local Leica store with my MP240 and did some comparison shots. The MM246 files I took away are superb.

What filters do you use? With b&w I only use yellow/orange but I think I need a red too.

Thanks for sharing your experiences

Paul

Hi Dennis,

I devoured your web site. Excellent photography - I love b&w geometry and architecture photography. The content was very relevant to me as I do use post processing on colour channels to adjust b&w tones. I still enjoy shooting (M4) and developing film but not so much the scanning and spot removal in post processing. I went into my local Leica store with my MP240 and did some comparison shots. The MM246 files I took away are superb.

What filters do you use? With b&w I only use yellow/orange but I think I need a red too.

Thanks for sharing your experiences

Paul

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the kind comments! I really appreciate it. On the side of filters, I found that a yellow filter doesn't really do anything. I used to carry an assortment of different ones in a bag but am stuck with Dark Red (to make the sky black), 720nm IR (for infrared when I have a tripod with me) and Orange (just to bring the contrast up a notch). The reality is that MM246 has an already balanced sensor, so yellow filter would be irrelevant. You had to use yellow long time ago when B&W film was more sensitive to blue color. Yellow filter would make the values of different colors look similar to how we perceive them. These days, just a red filter will do to make the picture more interesting and contrasty. During overcast weather I don't even use filters, as they don't do much. 

I find that the yellow filter is still useful to brighten skin tones in portraits with the MM2, especially with old lenses, such as my favourite lens the Summicron 50 rigid (the effect is less pronounced with modern lenses that are more contrasty to begin with).

I understand there is some focus shift with the red filter, although I think it should not be a problem with landscapes focused at infinity.

I've occasionally used the green filter, too, to lighten vegetation and sometimes even for portraits (to make lips darker) but only with people who have perfect skin. I don't use the orange filter much as I can easily increase contrast in post processing.

• 1 month later...