28/50/35 lens choice for M9

harryjiang

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I picked up a Voigtlander 50 1.5 M mount version from ebay. Very disappointed, the lens is useable because of focus shift. Nothing is in focus. 

Now, I have 35/3/5 summaron, elmar-m 50/2.8 and 600-800 cash. Which lens do you guys suggest that I should go to? I just sold 35/2(eight element) and elmar 50/3.5. I am familiar with 28, 35 and 50 lens. 

• Like 1

I would hold off on buying a lens. Put one lens on the camera, and shoot with it for awhile.  Personally, I like a 50 and a 28, but don't like a 35.  It's all personal, and you need to figure this stuff out for yourself, but buying more lenses is not the answer.  

I would hold off on buying a lens. Put one lens on the camera, and shoot with it for awhile.  Personally, I like a 50 and a 28, but don't like a 35.  It's all personal, and you need to figure this stuff out for yourself, but buying more lenses is not the answer.  

I agree and would personally buy one lens, the best I could afford and live with that for a while. For me that would be 50 Lux asph or 28 Lux asph but it's so personal. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

that old glass is amazing.  keep the cash and focus on your photography.

it is unclear whether you want a 28 for your leica or whether you are happy with your GR.  If you want one for your leica, the cash you have is enough to buy a good pre-asph elmarit or an old summaron, which is awesome.

• Like 1

that old glass is amazing.  keep the cash and focus on your photography.

it is unclear whether you want a 28 for your leica or whether you are happy with your GR.  If you want one for your leica, the cash you have is enough to buy a good pre-asph elmarit or an old summaron, which is awesome.

Thank you for your advice. I am happy with my GR. My favorite length is 50mm, that is why I was thinking about getting one nokton 50 1.5  

If you like 50mm, a Summicron M f2 is as close to perfect as one can get, and might be available in or near your price range. I do not think the optical formula has changed since 1979 (not counting the amazing asph APO summicron), and coding does not matter much (or at all) with a 50mm.

I also have a 50 asph 'lux', and use the 'cron' more often.

... H

• Like 2

You have have 35/3/5 summaron, elmar-m 50/2.8? USE them!!...

Thomas

It depends to a large extent on what subject-matter you shoot but in the main I must agree with duckrider on this.

For all practical purposes the 50mm f2.8 Elmar you already have is very good even wide-open and is super-sharp from around f5.6 all the way down.

If you really need one extra stop and super-sharpness from f2 then a Summicron is the only affordable solution. Use your Elmar until you have saved enough to pick up a used Summicron.

Pip.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As I have had and still have a number of lenses I use on my M9-P I would choose the following with an eye for value and performance on the M9

28mm Summircron, sublime on the M9, 35mm Summilux ASPH. or Summicron MkIV, 50 Summilux pre ASPH

Not super cheap but great value for performance and character

• Like 1

and coding does not matter much (or at all) with a 50mm.

Wit the new Leica MD as there's no menu you cannot select the lens mounted. However, the manual says that, even with  non-coded lenses you will create fine pics. Rather amusing given the fuss that's been made about lens recognition/correction and the need for coding!

I picked up a Voigtlander 50 1.5 M mount version from ebay. Very disappointed, the lens is useable because of focus shift. Nothing is in focus. 

Now, I have 35/3/5 summaron, elmar-m 50/2.8 and 600-800 cash. Which lens do you guys suggest that I should go to? I just sold 35/2(eight element) and elmar 50/3.5. I am familiar with 28, 35 and 50 lens. 

I'm surprised no one has recommended the Zeiss 50mm f/2 Planar ZM.  I haven't used it but I've only seen good reviews of that lens.  A good used one is in your budget (check Keh.com for example).  A new one is $860.  Otherwise, you could buy a very old 50mm Summicron.  Or a Voigtlander 50mm f/2 Heliar.  

Edited by zlatkob