Plustek 120 and Silverfast problem- please help.

maine207

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

For some reason that I can not figure out, my scanned image is showing up cropped and with a bit of a mirror image in it, however, in the pre-scan everything looks fine....does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? It is only happening with my portrait framed images...but was not doing it yesterday..

Peter

• Like 1

Fixed this issue by resetting everything to factory default..however, now when the pre-scan is done for an image that is landscape it is shown huge so I can't see the whole image at once, and if I try to pan over it, the scanner has to do another pre-scan..any ideas on how to create a smaller pre-scan?

I think Sharon might have been right with the iSRD setting messing up my pre-scan window..however, my first issue, no idea what was causing that. So to reset everything, when I opened up Silverfast I clicked the Silverfast settings icon instead of the start Silverfast icon, then there is a button in there that says "reset all settings" and underneath that button is a setting that says "reset scanner settings", so I clicked the reset scanner settings box to check it off, then clicked the reset Silverfast settings button and that seemed to fix it...but I have had so many little issues like this with Silverfast- other more minor ones, like certain features not working, that now are working since I have reset everything...so it is definitely worth a try if something isn't working right...I would use a different software but I just finished reading that 350 page book that they sell on their website that talks about everything in the program, haha so I don't want to give up on it after investing all that time reading :)

If software needs a 350 page instruction book it's broke already. Many people on the forum have said this many times, but the best scan you can make is a very flat, boring, bad looking scan that simply contains all the information available from the negative. This is essentially done by ensuring your black and white clippings points are within gamut and it's not too dark or too light. It will look so bad you will feel like throwing up, but don't, because that is what the far bigger software brains of Lightroom and Photoshop are there to fix.

• Like 1

Silverfast gives great results if you put some effort and time into learning the modules of the software.
​It easily surpasses VueScan's capabilities if used right. But it requires time and effort to master it properly.
​VueScan's software routines for the Plustek 120 isn't all good either. Try to scan an image at exposure 3.8-4.2 for example, and the scanner will completely lock up and start making weird noises and require a hard reset. It seems to me like the VueScan developers hasn't tested the software properly with the scanner.